LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

sanyte2y.jpg

Does this mean LTE roaming? I'm on ZV8

Sent using Tapatalk

Not likely.  It usually means voice roaming while connected to Sprint LTE.  We haven't seen anyone make an LTE Roaming connection yet anywhere with a Sprint LTE device/account.

Robert

• Like 1

Does this mean LTE roaming? I'm on ZV8

Sent using Tapatalk

If you install Signal Check it will tell you that your voice is on Verizon or whatever carrier you are roaming on. I had this happen on my way to Columbia, MO. I have Sprint LTE but roamed on Verizon voice. 

• Like 2

I still don't have it either, however, my town has really crappy LTE and "okay" 3G speeds. So I am getting anxious to see how this affects performance as well. But, so far, it doesn't seem to do much but enable the other 2 bands and give us a wal-mart icon.

Not true there are plenty of reports of it actually favoring band 41 over 25 if it is available unlike before the update.

That is because not only are they enabled but are also higher priority than band 25.

The update RF performance gains may be negligible if you have no band 26 or 41 to connect to.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The threshold for switching down to band 25 has me a little concerned. Last night, I visited two places almost next to a 25 tower, but my g2 was holding on to a nearby 41 signal at -114dBm. I wonder if this can be changed. Data was still usable, upload was a little shaky at that range, but nonetheless, it worked.

That is because not only are they enabled but are also higher priority than band 25.

The update RF performance gains may be negligible if you have no band 26 or 41 to connect to.

Its not just the priority, there are reports of it having different APN settings and a few other tweaks besides the priority settings.

The threshold for switching down to band 25 has me a little concerned. Last night, I visited two places almost next to a 25 tower, but my g2 was holding on to a nearby 41 signal at -114dBm. I wonder if this can be changed. Data was still usable, upload was a little shaky at that range, but nonetheless, it worked.

Do a speed test on B41 at that signal. You might be surprised at the speed.

On my first B41 speedtest, I had a -118 signal threshold and I still pulled 18mbps. :P

B41 is no joke, even at lower signal strengths.

• Like 3

On my Netgear Zing hotspot, my Band 41 performs better than Band 25 even with weak signals.  It may vary in different network locations with different devices.  However, I have been very pleased with weak Band 41 connections.

Robert

• Like 2

It does seem that  B41 uploads take a big hit! despite of the 3:2 ratio. At really low signal, the upload does seem to suffer considerably more than B25.

And it makes sense if you think about it.  The upload is using the weak radio in your device on a frequency band that is not known for propagation.  The downlink is being transmitted by a powerful site radio.  So when the signal from the tower is weak, the signal from your device is extremely weak.

Robert

• Like 5

This is true, weak 41 can be faster than strong 25. Upload dies at that range and I saw speeds like 17 down, and a choppy, borderline timing out 1-2 up. I just was wondering why it wouldn't take the 25 signal if I'm so close to it that I can hit it with a rock.

This is true, weak 41 can be faster than strong 25. Upload dies at that range and I saw speeds like 17 down, and a choppy, borderline timing out 1-2 up. I just was wondering why it wouldn't take the 25 signal if I'm so close to it that I can hit it with a rock.

Would you want the Band 25 signal?  Especially in Chicago?  It may be the network holding you there.  The days of device thresholds are ending.  Your band priorities are just preferences for scanning.  If the Band 25 is too full, the network can prevent you from joining it and keep you on a weak 41.

Robert

• Like 5

Would you want the Band 25 signal? Especially in Chicago? It may be the network holding you there. The days of device thresholds are ending. Your band priorities are preferences for scanning. If the Band 25 is too full, the network can prevent you from joining it and keep you on a weak 41.

Robert

Oddly enough, where I was at was a site that is always fast. Usually 10mbps plus. There are a few consistently fast sites in Chicago, despite the spectrum crowding. The site next to the Chicago ddc/toy is another consistent blazing fast site.

Oddly enough, where I was at was a site that is always fast. Usually 10mbps plus. There are a few consistently fast sites in Chicago, despite the spectrum crowding. The site next to the Chicago ddc/toy is another consistent blazing fast site.

10Mbps may seem fast.  However, the network doesn't run speed tests to see how fast it is running on band versus the other.  It is looking at other data.  Like, how many users are on the site.  And it could even be ratio.  The Band 25 site has 300 users and the airlink is at 90% capacity, but that Band 41 has 10 users and the airlink is at 5% of capacity.  So it would keep you on Band 41 until the difference between the two lessens to a point where Band 41 can't handle you any more, or Band 25 is under capacity and has a better signal.

Robert

• Like 7

10Mbps may seem fast. However, the network doesn't run speed tests to see how fast it is running on band versus the other. It is looking at other data. Like, how many users are on the site. And it could even be ratio. The Band 25 site has 300 users and the airlink is at 90% capacity, but that Band 41 has 10 users and the airlink is at 5% of capacity. So it would keep you on Band 41 until the difference between the two lessens to a point where Band 41 can't handle you any more, or Band 25 is under capacity and has a better signal.

Robert

That's great information to know. And it makes sense. Thanks, Robert.

• Like 3

And it makes sense if you think about it.  The upload is using the weak radio in your device on a frequency band that is not known for propagation.  The downlink is being transmitted by a powerful site radio.  So when the signal from the tower is weak, the signal from your device is extremely weak.

Robert

I think its a very reasonable trade off, if you swap those numbers around (happens alot on B25, slow downloads and fast uploads) I'll take 15mb/down 1mb/up vs the flipside any day!

• Like 1

I think its a very reasonable trade off, if you swap those numbers around (happens alot on B25, slow downloads and fast uploads) I'll take 15mb/down 1mb/up vs the flipside any day!

Yeah, if you need to do something upload intensive, just disable Band 41 temporarily and go back over to B25.  I imagine 95% of usage is more dependent on download performance.

Robert

• Like 5

I am definitely seeing better battery life on Zva which I have noticed through usage and gsam. Regardless of of much scanning the modem is doing. Has anyone else noticed this. I have not really done anything to optimize battery and I am running 2 exchange accounts plus Google, Facebook, tapatalk ect. I must also say this phone has the best calendar exchange support of any android I have ever used. It does sub calendars. No more need to sync via 3rd party.

If when we get stock kitkat they take the time to optimize battery life before release I am extremely excited to see what kind of performance we get.

Will it be possible one day on this phone to connect to more than 1 LTE band at the same time? Like you can connect to 1x800 and evdo.

Uh oh. I think AJ just felt that post from wherever he is. He'll be here shortly to correct you. :)

Will it be possible one day on this phone to connect to more than 1 LTE band at the same time? Like you can connect to 1x800 and evdo.

Posted Image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk