LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Finally upgraded to Spark update last night after having to flash back to stock ZV8.  I set the Band priority to 41>25>26.  It works nice so far and I am able to connect to B41 with ease.  Still not sure what the LTE scan timer is for the device since the option is not there but it doesn't seem like a 5 minute or interval as assumed like in Samsung and HTC devices.  It seemed to connect to quicker at least to B41 LTE sites but I am not sure if this is because the B41 priority is set to highest.

My G2 connects to B41 a lot quicker then 5 minutes also. I have no complaints since getting Spark. I'm actually enjoying the phone more because B41 is filling in some small voids. In my normal routine there are only a couple locations that I can not get LTE and one of them is because the tower is unofficially active on LTE and no ecsfb. So thanks LG or Sprint whoever gets the credit.

• Like 2

So since the update to spark I can't connect at all to lte. I'm right next to a official live lte tower in north Denver off of grant and before update I could connect. It won't connect at all now. Like I said in other post I get the lte spark icon but not a official connection cause I can't get on the internet. So what is the issue now? Any help will be great.

Prl update and profile update and switch from global to cdma/lte

So since the update to spark I can't connect at all to lte. I'm right next to a official live lte tower in north Denver off of grant and before update I could connect. It won't connect at all now. Like I said in other post I get the lte spark icon but not a official connection cause I can't get on the internet. So what is the issue now? Any help will be great.

I presume you were able to connect to this tower on LTE before?  The Spark update only allows you to connect to B26 and B41 on the device side but if the NV sites in your area are still affected by the eCSFB issue then the Spark update alone is not enough. 

That is correct I was able to connect before. So it's only band 25 tower? Oh yes this whole area is affected cause we are not live yet. So I need to keep being patient? Tri band phone and I will p only get two bands?

My G2 connects to B41 a lot quicker then 5 minutes also. I have no complaints since getting Spark. I'm actually enjoying the phone more because B41 is filling in some small voids. In my normal routine there are only a couple locations that I can not get LTE and one of them is because the tower is unofficially active on LTE and no ecsfb. So thanks LG or Sprint whoever gets the credit.

I agree with you.  On my route to work, there are 2 sites that only have B41 LTE live.  One of the B41 LTE sites on my route doesn't even have NV equipment upgraded yet and the other B41 LTE site is Nextel/Clearwire colocated.  I tested it this morning driving along these 2 B41 LTE sites without having to do an airplane mode recycle to search for the LTE signal and it automatically connected to B41 with no issues.  I was very satisfied with what Sprint has done with this update.

Its finally great to see LTE along my driving route to work instead of just when I leave my house and when I get to my workplace.

• Like 1

I, too, am seeing an automatic switch over to band 41. While driving to work, I had it on the lte engineering screen and the switch was fluid. One question regarding the new lte/spark logo: what does it mean when it turns gray? Is that representing an idle connection? I'm seeing it constantly.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I, too, am seeing an automatic switch over to band 41. While driving to work, I had it on the lte engineering screen and the switch was fluid. One question regarding the new lte/spark logo: what does it mean when it turns gray? Is that representing an idle connection? I'm seeing it constantly.

I'm going with idle connection.

It just means its an idle connection.  Think of the Spark icon as the data arrows in previous builds.  When data is not being sent or received with the data arrows, it is gray as well.  Probably didn't notice that since the 3G icon was always blue.  I guess with the Spark icon the .png files were created where its either all white or all gray depending on data status.  With the Spark icon, if data is being exchanged the icon will be spinning.  I still think the Spark icon is lame but I haven't looked at the new LGSystemUI.apk to see if it can be modified.  Maybe Ascertion is already on this case and modded his already.

That is correct I was able to connect before. So it's only band 25 tower? Oh yes this whole area is affected cause we are not live yet. So I need to keep being patient? Tri band phone and I will p only get two bands?

When you look at the NV complete sites downtown Denver seems like there has been very little progress or Robert hasn't been getting updates from that market.  However there is plenty of B41 LTE live there in Denver so I don't know what the reason behind not being able to connect to LTE.  Have you updated profile and PRL?

Probably; you can check it very easily by opening up up SignalCheck and watching the "Mobile Data Connection" field at the top of the screen. The text should match the icon status.

-Mike

• Like 1

Probably; you can check it very easily by opening up up SignalCheck and watching the "Mobile Data Connection" field at the top of the screen. The text should match the icon status.

-Mike

Good call. This is exactly the case. Spinning is send/receive, not spinning is active, and gray idle.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Please help me. I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum but everyone seems pretty helpful and knowledgeable. So here is my dilemma:

I was running rooted Stock LS980 version ZV8 just fine and I had a backup made just a few days ago. I'm using TWRP version 2.6.3.3 Recovery since I also have CM11 backed up and I like to restore to other ROMS from time to time, and everything has been working without a hitch, until today!

I was downloading the new ZVA (Sprint Spark) update released a few days ago, and it download fine and it said it would reboot, and now it just keeps looping to the TWRP recovery. Help! I have restored the backup Stock ZV8 ROM over and over again in TWRP, but everytime it keeps rebooting back to TWRP. I know my backups are still on the phone since I can select them in the Restore section of TWRP, but I can't figure out the endless looping?

I've also tried installing the LG Mobile Support Tool on my Win 7 laptop, but it does not have any option for LS980 USB drivers to install, just Tmobile, Verizon, and ATT G2 drivers?? I don't want a bricked phone lol. Thank you again! and if this isn't the right forum, please direct me to the correct place.

Hi everyone! Please help me. I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum but everyone seems pretty helpful and knowledgeable. So here is my dilemma:

I was running rooted Stock LS980 version ZV8 just fine and I had a backup made just a few days ago. I'm using TWRP version 2.6.3.3 Recovery since I also have CM11 backed up and I like to restore to other ROMS from time to time, and everything has been working without a hitch, until today!

I was downloading the new ZVA (Sprint Spark) update released a few days ago, and it download fine and it said it would reboot, and now it just keeps looping to the TWRP recovery. Help! I have restored the backup Stock ZV8 ROM over and over again in TWRP, but everytime it keeps rebooting back to TWRP. I know my backups are still on the phone since I can select them in the Restore section of TWRP, but I can't figure out the endless looping?

I've also tried installing the LG Mobile Support Tool on my Win 7 laptop, but it does not have any option for LS980 USB drivers to install, just Tmobile, Verizon, and ATT G2 drivers?? I don't want a bricked phone lol. Thank you again! and if this isn't the right forum, please direct me to the correct place.

Oh man....you didn't read XDA did you?  Number 1 rule of rooting and customizing your phone is NEVER take the OTA unless you do you research on what has changed.  Yes LG has sneaked in a new aboot.img file that finally kills the Loki exploit (the exploit that TWRP relies on to allow flashing of custom ROMS).  Since you flashed the OTA the aboot.img recognizes that the custom recovery is not compatible with it which is why it has trouble booting up.  It does a series of checks before it allows you to boot your phone.  I guess its kinda LG's way of punishing you for having incompatible system files.  

There is probably 2 methods to try to fix this issue.  One involving typing a few ADB commands that are explained in the XDA thread below and the alternative is to flash back to stock ZV8 firmware so you are on a clean slate (unrooted and stock recovery) and then take the OTA.   PM me and I can try to get this worked out for you.  

Here is the XDA thread that talks about this bootloop issue.  If this doesn't work out then the alternative way is to flash back to stock ZV8 firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2451696

• Like 2

It sounds like you installed the updated modem. There is a very helpful thread on xda explaining your exact issue. Once you take the spark modem update you cannot as of now revert back to roms based on older versions. This includes cm as well. If you can get into TWRP can you flash the new zva rom in there and if so does it boot? If not there are instructions on xda to do a full restore. I think the thread was titled the benefits of Spark update or something to that effect.

It sounds like you installed the updated modem. There is a very helpful thread on xda explaining your exact issue. Once you take the spark modem update you cannot as of now revert back to roms based on older versions. This includes cm as well. If you can get into TWRP can you flash the new zva rom in there and if so does it boot? If not there are instructions on xda to do a full restore. I think the thread was titled the benefits of Spark update or something to that effect.

In order to get TWRP with the ZVA update, you first have to install the ZVA firmware which includes the ZVA radio.  Then you have to flash the ZV7-aboot.img that doesn't have the anti-loki code that allows you to install TWRP.  For now just avoid flashing custom ROMs until the devs can try to figure this out.  Please read the XDA thread below. 

See this XDA thread that tells you everything you need to know about the ZVA firmware update

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2627765

I need some more help from SignalCheck users with a G2 who are connecting to band 41 LTE. It appears that this phone behaves differently depending on if it's connected to MCC-MNC (PLMN) 310-120, 311-490, or 311-870. This is making my life very difficult!

If you have installed the Spark update and are connected to band 41, here's what I need:

1. Switch your G2 to LTE-only mode. (I know you're already connected to LTE at this point, but this changes something significant in the radio that I need to check.)
  2. Check your engineering screen and note what is showing under PLMN ID.
  3. Go into SignalCheck and hit About > Send Diagnostics, and please include in the comments what your engineering screen is showing for PLMN.
  4. Don't forget to disable LTE-only mode when you're done, or you won't get any phone calls!

Send a few reports if you want, but what I really need is several reports from people in different areas connecting to different sites. No need to clutter up the thread with "I did it" posts, I get the reports automatically via e-mail and haven't had any issues with missing ones. I don't need any screenshots.

Thanks!

-Mike

• Like 3

I would love to submit a report, but can someone tell me the menu code to get to the lte only option? Thanks.

dial 5689#*980# then go to IOT(CDG2) menu  -->system selection --->change network mode to lte only

• Like 6

Day 4 and still nothing ???? not that it matters since 800 is basically MIA and im not in a spark area but still would be nice to get a sense of if rf performance increased a little or not.

I'd probably just hold it out. You might even get an OTA tomorrow morning. It can take up to 10 days, but often it's more like 1-5.

Day 4 and still nothing ???? not that it matters since 800 is basically MIA and im not in a spark area but still would be nice to get a sense of if rf performance increased a little or not.

I can't tell if it's new rf performance or Sprint doing upgrades in my area but my 1x is almost full bars unless I'm at work(metal building) but data is still hit and miss in my area right now, very little lte

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

Day 4 and still nothing not that it matters since 800 is basically MIA and im not in a spark area but still would be nice to get a sense of if rf performance increased a little or not.

I still don't have it either, however, my town has really crappy LTE and "okay" 3G speeds. So I am getting anxious to see how this affects performance as well. But, so far, it doesn't seem to do much but enable the other 2 bands and give us a wal-mart icon. 

Not true there are plenty of reports of it actually favoring band 41 over 25 if it is available unlike before the update.

I still don't have it either, however, my town has really crappy LTE and "okay" 3G speeds. So I am getting anxious to see how this affects performance as well. But, so far, it doesn't seem to do much but enable the other 2 bands and give us a wal-mart icon.