LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Will it be possible one day on this phone to connect to more than 1 LTE band at the same time? Like you can connect to 1x800 and evdo.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

The days of SvDo are gone.  Soon there will be VoLTE so you'll likely not see being on LTE/1X at the same time anymore, because they run on separate paths.

The days of SvDo are gone. Soon there will be VoLTE so you'll likely not see being on LTE/1X at the same time anymore, because they run on separate paths.

I don't think I posed the question correctly. I know you cannot do call and data together. I was trying to compare how for example on idle my phone can see signal for say Verizon 1x and Sprint evdo data and quickly swap connection between the 2. Bad comparison.

What I don't understand and flame as you will if this is a stupid question is why at some point the phone cannot download on band 41 and on a weak signal switch over to band 25 to upload and swap back and forth that way.

I don't think I posed the question correctly. I know you cannot do call and data together. I was trying to compare how for example on idle my phone can see signal for say Verizon 1x and Sprint evdo data and quickly swap connection between the 2. Bad comparison.

What I don't understand and flame as you will if this is a stupid question is why at some point the phone cannot download on band 41 and on a weak signal switch over to band 25 to upload and swap back and forth that way.

I was just poking fun before AJ got to you. I don't think you had a stupid question at all. Simply put, the new tri-band phones only have one path so they can only see one signal or band at a given time. Now it can scan for other bands very quickly, without the user noticing any disruption, but it will not connect to two bands simultaneously.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I was just poking fun before AJ got to you. I don't think you had a stupid question at all. Simply put, the new tri-band phones only have one path so they can only see one signal or band at a given time. Now it can scan for other bands very quickly, without the user noticing any disruption, but it will not connect to two bands simultaneously.

Got ya. Thank you for clarifying. So I wonder if theoretically you were on band 41 getting high speed down but nothing up due to a low signal if it could switch you over to a different band for the upload and then switch back. Would that even be possible or would it break the path of data?

Didn't mean to disturb AJ. Hopefully he will spare me this time, long day and I am not exactly making sense.

I finally got my spark update on my device today the new icons are different for sure have to get used to that and what theyre doing at times and what it means is a little confusing but after a day of useing it figured it out.

For some reason in the denug screen and the signal check screen when not connected to lte it only shows last seen tac on signal check as before it showed gci pci and tac of last connection. And in the debug it wont show anything if your not connected. Just a little different than before.

I went over to our clear protection site today but didnt pick any b41 up so guess they havent changed rru's or anything or b25 was just to strong cause its a sprint / clear located site. Has anyone seen clear protection sites get updated rru's yet. Im guessing if its not on clears list to do it will get nsn equipment sometime or another eventually.

Could be a long time though cause i believe we only have one site although i figured it would take two to get substantial coverage. But it does seem to hold onto the signal better to me

. But it was kind of weird cause i used to get fringe lte from the surrounding sites but after the update i didnt but at tje same time theres a ticket on my home tower that network vision was started on the 23rd and supposed to be finished today but it wasnt but i did get lte starting this evening inside my house of about -94db to -104 with good speeds but then it got turned off i think so hopefully it will get accepted in next few days.

Been waiting a long time for the backhaul for this site since been 3g accepted for 9 to 12 months so it was nice to see that and spark update same day.

On the hidden menu under lte should it be ue usage set to voice centric or data centric?

On data centric, it seems to hold LTE connectivity a bit longer than usual.  (I've seen it hold LTE B25 until -126 dBm before.) It wasn't very useful to me, but it is for those that may want to have a consistent LTE connection that doesn't drop (useful for streaming internet radio in the vehicle.)

Will it be possible one day on this phone to connect to more than 1 LTE band at the same time? Like you can connect to 1x800 and evdo. Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I think that was an excellent question and a great idea. Just think about the new WiFi routers that allow simultaneous connections to the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bands thus increasing usable bandwidth.

Wouldn't it be great to have a cell phone that could use two frequency bands simultaneously whenever needed for intensive uploads or downloads?

I think that was an excellent question and a great idea. Just think about the new WiFi routers that allow simultaneous connections to the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bands thus increasing usable bandwidth.

Wouldn't it be great to have a cell phone that could use two frequency bands simultaneously whenever needed for intensive uploads or downloads?

everything I've built to aggregate bands has been much to large to fit in a phone.  I don't know the intertwining of Sprint's IP arrangement, but to support simultaneous dual-band you need to modify IPV6L2L settings; otherwise you are going to run amuck.  Lastly even if the hardware was on the micro-nano scale the power consumption for these pieces would require your handset to remain plugged in to the charger, or sport a 7,500 Mah battery. 

-William

• Like 1

Anyone tried to one click root method for zva? I might try it but wonder If it's worth rooting for now.

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

Yes.  Ioroot v21 works to root your phone with the ZVA firmware.

What's a good way to back everything up? Before i root or do other stuff

The general recommendation is to do what's called a "nandroid" backup, which essentially is a complete backup of your phone's flash storage.  However, nandroids are done from within custom recoveries such as twrp or clockworkmod (CWM), so it's a bit of a catch 22 since you need to install the custom recovery before you can do the backup.

In the case of the G2, with the new ZVA boot image and its fix for the loki exploit, there's increased risk of something going wrong when trying to install a custom recovery since extra steps need to be taken (downgrading the aboot version to zv8).  This has been accomplished, though, and the procedures for doing it are documented.

Before attempting to install twrp, I would backup everything on your /sdcard (copy its contents to your PC).  This will backup your photos and other data (ie. voicemails, if you use the stock voicemail app)  There are also apps in the play store for backing up data such as your SMS messages and call logs.  Most apps I use that store data have ways ot export and later reimport the data if they don't automatically backup to the cloud (ie Google Calendar, contacts, etc.).  Once you export the data, you can copy it off the phone to your PC for backup.

Edited by JamesBond007

Intraband Carrier Aggregation is all we will see in the short term. Interband Carrier Aggregation is not ready for prime time any time soon. Dealing with CA across bands is not only difficult on the device side, but its usefulness is questionable because of the differing propagation characteristics of disparate bands.

It would almost be unusable while driving. It would be constantly going in and out of one band/carrier and to another band carrier and switching sites, losing this band and scanning another half of the connection over there. It would destroy battery life and your speeds would be anything far from consistent as you would be constantly falling back to one band.

I could see Interband CA being useful in a stationary application, or even fixed wireless. Where the different variables of band/carrier combinations is static and steady.

Sprint is planning Band 41 CA. And may even one day have B25 CA. And if Sprint ever gets any Cellular 850 spectrum, they could do B26 CA with their existing SMR LTE carrier.

And since Sprint has committed to taking Band 41 wall to wall in the Top 100 markets, including adding sites to fill in coverage gaps, the Band 41 CA experience is likely to be very good. And Band 41 stays almost continuous in the car in fully deployed areas. Intraband CA will always perform better and take much less resources to do. So if Sprint can offer 200Mbps, or more with increasing MIMO, just with a ubiquitous B41CA network, the needs for interband CA are much less important.

I know the real desire is to get the well performing B26 LTE carrier to be faster. But if you are on B26, it's because you are out of reach of B25 and B41 anyway. And Interband CA will not help in that situation.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

What's a good way to back everything up? Before i root or do other stuff

First of all, rooting doesn't delete any files from your phone.  You can't make a nandroid backup with TWRP or use Titanium Backup to backup your apps unless you have root access.  That is the dilemma.  If you are referring to your pictures, music or documents then just use the LG Wireless Storage feature and back it up to your PC.

Honestly if you do not know much at all about rooting, flashing custom ROMs, etc then you shouldn't be messing with rooting and custom ROMs.  Just stay stock unrooted. The rewards are great but if you don't sacrifice the time to learn about it you will be in a world of hurt.

I was going to get the lg g2 but that last ota scared the mod work out of me. The ota pretty much killed Loki. Loki is the tool for flashing thru lg's locked boot loader. Had to go to the n5 for that reason. It maybe figured out at some point but from monitoring xda it's gonna be a uphill battle.

First of all, rooting doesn't delete any files from your phone. You can't make a nandroid backup with TWRP or use Titanium Backup to backup your apps unless you root. That is the dilemma. If you are referring to your pictures, music or documents then just use the LG Wireless Storage feature and back it up to your PC.

Honestly if you do not know much at all about rooting, flashing custom ROMs, etc then you shouldn't be messing with rooting and custom ROMs. Just stay stock unrooted. The rewards are great but if you don't sacrifice the time to learn about it you will be in a world of hurt.

I've rooted before but that was a while ago and made the phone way better. I had the evo 4g og before I got my note 2 lol. I barely made it 4 hours before it begged to be plugged in. I don't need root but a buddies wants to root and I was gonna help him but I told him to wait a while before he dose.

I've rooted before but that was a while ago and made the phone way better. I had the evo 4g og before I got my note 2 lol. I barely made it 4 hours before it begged to be plugged in. I don't need root but a buddies wants to root and I was gonna help him but I told him to wait a while before he dose.

Like I said before anyone who wants to get into the rooting/flashing custom ROMs game must learn about how to flash back to stock in case anything happens and the DOs and DONTs once you are rooted. This ZVA firmware made it more difficult to run custom ROMs so you have to know what you are doing. There is no need to backup anything while you are on stock unrooted since there isn't a way to backup your current phone settings if you are helping out your friend.

Just use ioroot v21 if you want to help your friend root his phone and enjoy. Please read this XDA thread below if you are interested in what to do for rooting.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2522346

I have rooted before on other phones, but i am going to stay stock for now. The phone is pretty great as it is. The only reason that I want to root is to wirelessly tether dance a jig. Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Edited by S4GRU
struck out content that violates posting guidelines
  • Like 1