LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

is it true, you can't use data while on a phone call unless connected to wifi?  read this somewhere else:

(Negative) Data/Voice - this may be a deal breaker for some. Not able to connect to data while on a phone call unless on WiFi. The LG rep wasn't aware of this till I told him, and said it works on Verizon. The only other phones that have this problem in Sprint are iPhones

Yes, it appears true. SVDO or SVLTE technology is required to run calls and cellular data at the same time, I believe, and the G2 does not have this capability.

is it true, you can't use data while on a phone call unless connected to wifi?  read this somewhere else:

(Negative) Data/Voice - this may be a deal breaker for some. Not able to connect to data while on a phone call unless on WiFi. The LG rep wasn't aware of this till I told him, and said it works on Verizon. The only other phones that have this problem in Sprint are iPhones

Yes that is true.  This was a known issue though (no pun intended).  This seems to be the way going forward for triband LTE devices.  The Verizon one is different since it is not triband.

It's news I didn't want to hear either. This was the only phone left for me after the Note3 failure. I will taking a pass on this one as well it seems. Not doing the deja vu EVO thing. There is the S4T but I will just hope for the N3T by the time my upgrade is up.. All dependent if they fix the 1 yr and counting issue with my work site of course.

I wouldn't overreact to the situation yet.  Remember we have just 1 or 2 sample sizes here and its a bit pre mature to assume the LG G2 is a dud.  Remember that in AJ's article, his analysis shows that the LG G2 has pretty good B25 LTE output.  I am sure if there are any issues that Sprint will release a firmware update shortly.  

We still don't know if these LTE connectivity issues are in strong LTE areas like -75 to -80 dBm RSRP and/or near cell edges like -115 to -120 dBm RSRP.  If the issues is just isolated to near cell edge signal strengths then perhaps the issue is the threshold is not set high enough than what we are used to and that can be changed via firmware settings.

• Like 1

this is very unfortunate as it does come in very handy at times.  so even if you're not connect to band 41, it still won't work with the other 2 bands?

This is a limitation of Sprint's transition to TD-LTE, for the most part. From what I understand and what AJ has explained, it's exceptionally difficult to get SV-LTE and TD-LTE working on the same handset. 

Interesting findings thus far. It kinda contradicts AJ's findings in his LG G2 article where he analyzed the FCC results where he says that B25 LTE looks to be pretty good. Hopefully this is just the first few days of the device and any issues can be resolved with a firmware update.

I will beat you up before AJ does. Number 1, AJ reported the EIRP. That is just the signal strength of what the device is transmitting back. AJ has said countless times this is an imperfect way to determine reception strength. So AJ hasn't said anything that has been contradicted.

Number 2, it is still likely that reception is still strong, but software is overriding the connection. It's quite possible (as mentioned above) that since this is a Triband device that the threshold is set different for Band 25 than a Band 25 only device. Because it is designed to fall back on Band 26. Since there is no Band 26 coverage out there yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an update to modify the Band 25 thresholds.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

• Like 7

this is very unfortunate as it does come in very handy at times.  so even if you're not connect to band 41, it still won't work with the other 2 bands?

That is correct. No SV-LTE in the handset altogether, which means no talk and surf. 

I will beat you up before AJ does. Number 1, AJ reported the EIRP. That is just the signal strength of what the device is transmitting back. AJ has said countless times this is an imperfect way to determine reception strength. So AJ hasn't said anything that has been contradicted. Number 2, it is still likely that reception is still strong, but software is overriding the connection. It's quite possible (as mentioned above) that since this is a Triband device that the threshold is set different for Band 25 than a Band 25 only device. Because it is designed to fall back on Band 26. Since there is no Band 26 coverage out there yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an update to modify the Band 25 thresholds. Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

What if it's an issue that's hardware related that has nothing to do with signal strength?  I remember how the first LTE handsets on Verizon weren't good signal performers, and I'm wondering, without having evidence yet to back it up, that we're running into the same type of issues that exist with any sort of new technology. 

What if it's an issue that's hardware related that has nothing to do with signal strength? I remember how the first LTE handsets on Verizon weren't good signal performers, and I'm wondering, without having evidence yet to back it up, that we're running into the same type of issues that exist with any sort of new technology.

LTE is not new. LTE on Band 25 is not new. Multi-band LTE devices are not new. Only thing new here is TDD LTE on Band 41. I don't think there is a hardware issue here affecting Band 25. Just a feeling though.

I would like to know what people's G2 LTE Engineering screens say when they are in these weak signal areas and won't connect.

LTE is not new. LTE on Band 25 is not new. Multi-band LTE devices are not new. Only thing new here is TDD LTE on Band 41. I don't think there is a hardware issue here affecting Band 25. Just a feeling though.

I would like to know what people's G2 LTE Engineering screens say when they are in these weak signal areas and won't connect.

I agree with that assessment, but TD-LTE is definitely adding a level of complexity here. If TD-LTE handsets had to sacrifice SV-LTE to get there, I'd hypothesize that getting TD-LTE running could have an effect on FD-LTE reception early in implementing TD-LTE on the handset level.  I don't have any way to prove this, therefore it's a hypothesis I cannot test. 

I will beat you up before AJ does. Number 1, AJ reported the EIRP. That is just the signal strength of what the device is transmitting back. AJ has said countless times this is an imperfect way to determine reception strength. So AJ hasn't said anything that has been contradicted. Number 2, it is still likely that reception is still strong, but software is overriding the connection. It's quite possible (as mentioned above) that since this is a Triband device that the threshold is set different for Band 25 than a Band 25 only device. Because it is designed to fall back on Band 26. Since there is no Band 26 coverage out there yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an update to modify the Band 25 thresholds. Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification.  I agree that if the issue can be rectified by modifying the Band 25 thresholds and then push out an update hopefully that should fix the Band 25 LTE issues.

I like your hypothesis but that doesn't change the fact that if this was true then the fcc would have noticed.

I agree with that assessment, but TD-LTE is definitely adding a level of complexity here. If TD-LTE handsets had to sacrifice SV-LTE to get there, I'd hypothesize that getting TD-LTE running could have an effect on FD-LTE reception early in implementing TD-LTE on the handset level. I don't have any way to prove this, therefore it's a hypothesis I cannot test.

I like your hypothesis but that doesn't change the fact that if this was true then the fcc would have noticed.

The FCC approved the abomination that was the HTC Thunderbolt. I hope I'm wrong and it's fixable with a software update.

That said, there's almost always going to be issues pop up when you're on the bleeding edge of technology.

I agree with that assessment, but TD-LTE is definitely adding a level of complexity here. If TD-LTE handsets had to sacrifice SV-LTE to get there, I'd hypothesize that getting TD-LTE running could have an effect on FD-LTE reception early in implementing TD-LTE on the handset level.  I don't have any way to prove this, therefore it's a hypothesis I cannot test. 

That seems unlikely.  The tri band LTE handsets thus far use physically separate band 41 TD-LTE antennas.  The just revealed tri band Galaxy S4 variant could be the exception -- if its antenna diagram is accurate.

AJ

• Like 1

The FCC would have noticed what?  The FCC is not Consumer Reports.  As long as the device conforms to certain regulations, it receives authorization.

AJ

• Like 5

I think your hypothesis that has yet to be proven yet.  Since none of the sample sizes we have thus far are in LTE B41 areas to verify this, we don't know how the phone reacts when it is connected to B41 and then hands off to B25 or vice versa to see how LTE reception is like at that moment.  Since B41 has completely separate antennas than B25 and B26, I don't see how that has anything to do with it.

nexus 5 rumored to have SVLTE?

No.  Welcome to early September.  We reported that a good six weeks ago.

The Nexus 5 is basically a run of the mill 3GPP handset that has band 0/1/10 CDMA2000 and band 41 TD-LTE added to support Sprint.  What people do not seem to understand is that very few 3GPP handsets support SVLTE.  They think simultaneous voice and data in an LTE capable handset means SVLTE.  But in most cases, it does not.

AJ

The FCC approved the abomination that was the HTC Thunderbolt. I hope I'm wrong and it's fixable with a software update.

That said, there's almost always going to be issues pop up when you're on the bleeding edge of technology.

The HTC Thunderbolt was only an abomination due to the very poor battery life.  That has nothing to do with RF performance.  RF performance seemed to be fine on the HTC Thunderbolt.  Because it was a first generation LTE chipset that had consumed a lot of power it resulted in being a huge battery drainer and skewing the tech review results which ultimately didn't recommend the device because of the very poor battery life. 

I am failing to see the connection between the HTC Thunderbolt and the LG G2 in terms of RF performance though.

To the people reporting poor Band 25 reception.

Did you enable Band 26 and Band 41?

Maybe Sprint was already ahead of you on this and you actually are causing the problem?

Maybe they made the reception thresholds vary depending on Band settings and by turning on Band 26 and Band 41 you have actually created a problem that wouldn't exist if you had left them disabled, until Band 41 and Band 26 started popping up.

• Like 16

Maybe Sprint was already ahead of you on this and you actually are causing the problem?

Maybe they made the reception thresholds vary depending on Band settings and by turning on Band 26 and Band 41 you have actually created a problem that wouldn't exist if you had left them disabled, until Band 41 and Band 26 started popping up.

Astute thinking.  That is the mind of a scientist, folks.  Isolate the variables, then test them one by one.

AJ

• Like 5

The FCC would have noticed what?  The FCC is not Consumer Reports.  As long as the device conforms to certain regulations, it receives authorization.

AJ

LMAO I knew someone was going to give him a pimp slap for that one.

FCC is only making sure devices operate within licensed agreements and not pose interference to other wireless services..

Remember Lightsquared and the issues they had with interfering with GPS signals...The FCC is mainly concerned with mitigating such problems not how high of a score it can get on speedtest.

Great post.  I never thought about that.  Perhaps it is probably not a good idea to enable B26 and B41 by default especially if you are not in an area where B26 and/or B41 LTE network exists. 

It could explain the reason why Sprint had B26 and B41 LTE bands disabled by default since they knew it had different LTE threshold behaviors and didn't plan on enabling these 2 LTE bands until they felt that there was enough B26 and B41 LTE in the US.

I would like to see those who have the LG G2 already do some more testing with disabling B26 and B41 LTE bands and see if it improves B25 LTE performance/reception in the same exact location.  Maybe we can get to the bottom of these observations.  

If it turns out that disabling B26 and B41 LTE bands improves B25 LTE reception it will make me think twice of enabling both LTE bands at this time.  Since I know in the area where I live there is some B41 LTE, I might just enable B41 and leave B26 disabled until there is some confirmation that B26 LTE exists in my area.

So, LG's skin is ugly. But we knew this.

Just installed Signalcheck Pro, Nova Launcher, and Swiftkey. Much better.

@AJ: Screens incoming.

How does SignalCheck look.. everything seem ok? Right now you won't see any indication of what LTE band you are on, but I hope to find a way to get that in there..

-Mike

• Like 1