Is Sprint considering not bidding for PCS H?

bigsnake49

According to Tim Farrar, it just might not:

More importantly, if DISH is given an option but not an obligation to reband the AWS-4 uplinks (DISH has asked for 30 months to decide, but I would expect the FCC to only allow 12-18 months at most), then it also has a huge advantage in the H-block auction, because if Sprint were to win the spectrum then DISH could hold up standardization of the band (and delay any ability for Sprint to use the H block to relieve capacity constraints in its PCS G block LTE network). After years of experience in being held hostage by Ergen, its therefore hardly surprising that the smart move for Sprint will be to let DISH have the H block at the reserve price. That will force DISH to drive the standardization efforts, and potentially even allow Sprint to put roadblocks in DISH’s way instead of vice versa.

http://tmfassociates.com/blog/2013/10/14/charlies-house-of-spectrum-cards/

Given that it's yet another band, the power limitations on it and having to deal with Charlie Ergen, could Sprint elect to bypass the PCS H auction and concentrate on the 600MHz auction?

• Like 2

Interesting - I may have missed it, but what "standardization of the band" are they referring to and why is Dish driving it?

PCS H is not yet recognized as a 3GPP LTE band. After the auction, whoever wins that will have to appear in front of the appropriate committees and drive the standardization effort.

• Like 1

I am not sure they need to, they would probably be better off going all in on 600 if they feel they need more spectrum. However I hope they screw Dish into over paying for the H Block.

What are you going to propose to them?

Hand in marriage...

AJ

• Like 1

I sure hope Sprint still bids on the H block.  Sprint could definitely use more of that PCS spectrum.  But if they were not to bid on the H block then Sprint better get at least 20 MHz of 600 MHz spectrum because that is sorely needed.

I feel in the end, if Ergen gets Lightsquared 1.6 GHz spectrum for uplink then he will be happy to pair that with their 2180-2200 MHz spectrum for downlink.  Sprint should just bluff at Dish and buy the H block anyways to force Dish to make the 2000-2020 MHz spectrum to downlink since it would be pointless to waste 20 MHz of spectrum on uplink rather than adding it to supplemental downlink.  At that point if Ergen doesn't change the 2000-2020 MHz to downlink, he is just hurting his backup plan if he ever had to sell the 2000-2020 MHz spectrum because no one wants to buy supplemental uplink especially when downlink is more important.

well where would the 600 megahertz licenses apply and to what markets here where I live there are far and few sprint towers...

No one can tell the future.  Check back in two years.

AJ

well sprint needs to get PCS H Block because the capacity constraints in my area ... East Brunswick

That is almost irrelevant, since no current devices are compatible with the PCS/AWS-2 H block.

AJ

• Like 4

I hope Dish drives the price up and Sprint walks away without a bid.   :)  Wouldn't shock me if that takes place.

Can't drive the price up without another bidder.  I hope Sprint stays in long enough to stick it to Dish/Echostar/Ergen by jacking the price way up but letting Charlie win the auction.

Can't drive the price up without another bidder.  I hope Sprint stays in long enough to stick it to Dish/Echostar/Ergen by jacking the price way up but letting Charlie win the auction.

Dish has already driven the price up by proposing to pay $.50/MHzPOP. I think the consensus was that the price should have been around $.33/MHzPOP. Of course it is conditional on certan concessions by the FCC, but still.