nobius

Apple announces new iPad Air (and mini)

Linky

"We still have a lot to cover" is what the invite (picture below) says.  New iPad 5 is expected, but people aren't sure about whether the iPad mini will go Retina or not.  Updated desktop Macs are also likely.

I personally hope that the iPad mini goes Retina and that it and the regular iPad both get Touch ID.

Apple_oct_invite-289x285.jpg?resize=289%

With all that color I'm thinking we will see colored versions of the iPad like the iPhone 5c.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

• Like 1

With all that color I'm thinking we will see colored versions of the iPad like the iPhone 5c.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

I was wondering the same thing.

Linky

"We still have a lot to cover" is what the invite (picture below) says.

No, you misinterpret the invite. This means new iPad covers. Super fabulous!

myFU4lFEsnOnPaV7OXOma3w.jpg

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Maybe the ipads will support Band 41. 

• Like 2

That might almost convince me to buy one. Almost. We'll see what Apple has in store...

Yeah and maybe Steve Jobs will return from the great beyond riding a magical unicorn.

• Like 2

Yeah and maybe Steve Jobs will return from the great beyond riding a magical unicorn.

That would be awesome. I want one.

don't forget Mavericks and Xcode 5

I hope to here about the Iwatch. Way more interested in that than anything they are likely come out with in a new ipad. I think that is wishful thinking on my part.

I hope to here about the Iwatch. Way more interested in that than anything they are likely come out with in a new ipad. I think that is wishful thinking on my part.

I would rather they open up Apple TV with an App Store. Now that they have MLS on there I don't have to use airplay anymore, but being able to download iOS apps and games to use on your television would really shake up the home entertainment industry.

Anyone have an iPad with Sprint or know how it's pay-as-you-go plan works for tablets?  Right now I have an iPad 2 on Verizon, and the new AT&T tablet plan at $5/250MB day and its 1GB 3 month option fits my needs pretty well. 

I suppose it could support band 41. There's a lot more space and a bigger battery, wouldn't be the first time they supported something in the iPad that they couldn't fit into the phone yet.

Right now Sprint is offering 15/month for 2GB, I think the tiny 25MB plan is 5/month.

I'm not aware of them having any special add-on plan for phone customers.

What I'd like (and I bet many others would) is a 5/month 500MB plan with roll-over up to 10GB. I don't need cellular on my tablet often, but turning it on (or turning on tethering) for just a few hours or days is a pain I can live without. I'm sure that's why ATT is offering their day-pass plans.

ipad Mini with retina display is $399 for 16 GB.  A little pricey for the ipad mini for retina display considering that the Nexus 7 is only $229.

ipad Mini with retina display is $399 for 16 GB.  A little pricey for the ipad mini for retina display considering that the Nexus 7 is only $229.

And technically retina, is not really a defined resolution, it's what they deem good enough.

-Luis

Both new iPads will only be dual band 25/26 for Sprint.

• Like 1

There's only one global SKU from what I see.

None of them have any flavor of TD-LTE. 

Well I'm not surprised. I would guess this is just the cellular block from the iPhone 5S but with all the amps/filters/etc installed.

A solid update. My only beef is the storage... It's about time they bumped it up a level.

• Like 2

I agree that the storage default needs to go up.  32GB is the minimum storage I'll buy in a device.  

I've toyed with getting an iPad mini to replace my iPad 2, and I'm disappointed that they raised the default price of the mini to $399 from $329.  So now it's more about portability than price when deciding between the iPad Air and the mini.  They both use the same A7 chip, both have the same cameras, etc.  

I'll wait until I can use both in a store and see if the smaller screen size of the mini is too small.  I was able to downsize from a 15.2" Powerbook to a 13.3" Macbook, so I'm hoping I can downsize here as well.

I agree that the storage default needs to go up.  32GB is the minimum storage I'll buy in a device.  

I've toyed with getting an iPad mini to replace my iPad 2, and I'm disappointed that they raised the default price of the mini to $399 from $329.  So now it's more about portability than price when deciding between the iPad Air and the mini.  They both use the same A7 chip, both have the same cameras, etc.  

I'll wait until I can use both in a store and see if the smaller screen size of the mini is too small.  I was able to downsize from a 15.2" Powerbook to a 13.3" Macbook, so I'm hoping I can downsize here as well.

What do you do with your iPad today? That really makes the difference on which device you go with.

There's tablets out there by Acer and Quanta that have TD-LTE on band 38 and band 40, but I don't see any links to buy them. 

This Nokia Booklet, the Nokia netbook, had to be the most fun find of all. 

http://www.lte-tdd.org/Industry_Status/content.aspx?nodeid=5&categoryid=4&contentid=323

I doubt they even make those anymore, that had to be done for China Mobile or some company like that to do TD-LTE testing. 

What do you do with your iPad today? That really makes the difference on which device you go with.

These days it's my secondary computer.  I use it mostly for reading emails and short replies to emails, light data entry, presentations, consuming media, etc.  If I downsized it would purely be for portability reasons since the internals appear to be the same. The new models don't come out until November 1st so I have time to research them further.

These days it's my secondary computer.  I use it mostly for reading emails and short replies to emails, light data entry, presentations, consuming media, etc.  If I downsized it would purely be for portability reasons since the internals appear to be the same. The new models don't come out until November 1st so I have time to research them further.

I basically do the same with my Gen 1 mini. I like the portability of the mini, over the full size of the iPad. I don't carry a bag when I commute, so it's small enough to keep in my hand comfortably, and tuck away in my fiancee's bag when we both are out.

• Like 1