kg4icg

An OS agnostic app, already built in to all Android phones, capable of text chat as well as video calls?

Google Hangouts. It's even hinted that the next version will include SMS support, which could provide an OS-agnostic iMessage and Facetime like experience.

Is Google Hangouts even available for iOS?  I honestly do not know, as I do not keep up with what Apple does or does not anti competitively prohibit from the App Store.

AJ

Is Google Hangouts even available for iOS?  I honestly do not know, as I do not keep up with what Apple does or does not anti competitively prohibit from the App Store.

AJ

Yes, they do. I've never used it myself on iOS (as I own no iDevices), but I've done a few chats with people who have, and haven't noticed any issues.

I wish notifications for missed messages would be added.  Until then, I will continue to use an app that does have notifications. 

I really don't understand why you would build a messaging app the doesn't have notifications for missed messages.