UICC Compatibility Matrix

halcyoncmdr

My iPhone 6 came with a dead UICC. I tried to use the UICC from my 5s to activate and was told that they are not compatible and that they needed to order a replacment UICC for the 6. Here is the info from my order:

Item number: 760494000114

Item description: LTEGSM REMOV 4FF CSIM V3

• Like 1

Just so everyone knows, now that I no longer work for the company, I don't have access to direct info about new phone releases and the compatible cards anymore. Unless another employee is willing to forward me this information going forward, the updates to the list will be more sparse, and I'm going to have to rely on user reported updates.

So... if there's anyone that does work for Sprint that knows how to access CEBU and get me the info to update the PRL and UICC/SIM Compatibility charts, it would be much appreciated.  ;)

The Compatibility matrix is already out of date, but I can't find any direct information publicly on the compatibility like I had access to before, to be able to update it properly.

Just found this particular thread.  Thanks for all the hard work you put in.  A wealth of useful information. 

There is probably another way Sprint could stop smartphone plan SIM's from being inserted and used in a hotspot, but the system Sprint is using now does prevent this problem from occurring.  I wouldn't expect this to change any time soon.  Unless, perhaps, if unlimited is done away with.  With allowing iPhones to do it, limits the issue to just iPhones.  And Apple doesn't do hotspots.

Robert

Here is a link to an article that suggests Sprint insiders are rumoring that the unlimited data may have to eventually end. 

http://bgr.com/2014/03/11/unlimited-data-plan-death-coming-soon/

Here is a link to an article that suggests Sprint insiders are rumoring that the unlimited data may have to eventually end. 

http://bgr.com/2014/03/11/unlimited-data-plan-death-coming-soon/

Yeah, this rumor is over 6 months old.  And yet, Sprint has released two new Unlimited plans this year.  And now even doubled down with unlimited on the iPhone4life program.  These rumors are started by AT&T, Verizon and Sprint Haters.  Hoping to cause people to panic and not be lured in to Sprint unlimited plans.

• Like 6

• 11 months later...

Hoping to revivie a stale topic, wondering if we have any new members in the last year are also Sprint employees who might be able to provide info to update the SIM Compatibility matrix?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Also trying to revive a stale topic.

Now that some Sprint phones are using csims, has anyone successfully done a sim swap between two Sprint phones? I'm wondering if it's working like Verizon now, with CDMA and LTE being authenticated.

• Like 1

Now that some Sprint phones are using csims, has anyone successfully done a sim swap between two Sprint phones? I'm wondering if it's working like Verizon now, with CDMA and LTE being authenticated.

The only two Sprint compatible handsets that we know for a fact use a 4FF nano SIM running CSIM are the HTC One M9 and the 2015 Moto X aka Pure Edition aka Style.  That is a small sample set.

Probably, some/all of the Samsung and LG handsets released over the summer do, too, but we have no confirmation.  And even among S4GRU users, most who have acquired new handsets that recently have not also acquired additional handsets.

I may be one of the first.  I have a 2015 Moto X, but I also have a Nexus 5X that is pending shipment.  I do this research for me -- and for all of you.

AJ

• Like 2

I may be anwering this question all wrong, but I have successfully swapped mine and and my father's SIM's before. We both use iPhone 6 pluses, and I have been able to remove his from his device and put it in my phone and it works perfectly. They are both unlocked Sprint variants.

Then again, that may be how it's supposed to work, and this is just a pointless post. ????

-Anthony

• Like 1

I may be anwering this question all wrong, but I have successfully swapped mine and and my father's SIM's before. We both use iPhone 6 pluses, and I have been able to remove his from his device and put it in my phone and it works perfectly. They are both unlocked Sprint variants.

Then again, that may be how it's supposed to work, and this is just a pointless post.

-Anthony

Does your number and information transfer over without messing with  Sprint online activation?

Does your number and information transfer over without messing with Sprint online activation?

Define Sprint online activation.

When I swap the SIM's, my fathers number transfers to my device and my number transfers to his device. I confirm this by checking in the Settings app and looking at the phone number for the device, and also doing test calls/test data tasks. Didn't even have to do anything online to get it to work.

-Anthomy

• Like 1

Father/son device incest.  Is this an appropriate topic for S4GRU?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

The only two Sprint compatible handsets that we know for a fact use a 4FF nano SIM running CSIM are the HTC One M9 and the 2015 Moto X aka Pure Edition aka Style.  That is a small sample set.

Probably, some/all of the Samsung and LG handsets released over the summer do, too, but we have no confirmation.  And even among S4GRU users, most who have acquired new handsets that recently have not also acquired additional handsets.

I may be one of the first.  I have a 2015 Moto X, but I also have a Nexus 5X that is pending shipment.  I do this research for me -- and for all of you.

AJ

I believe last years Nexus 6 used the 4FF CSIM v5 too

As far as I know, we do not have any confirmation of that -- only that all recent Motorola handsets since the original Moto X have used a 4FF nano SIM.  USIM or CSIM, that remains unknown, though S4GRU would like to research the issue and publish an article.  What we have seen is reference to the HTC One M9.  Ostensibly, it was the first specifically Sprint variant handset to use the current CSIM.

AJ

Sprint chat today told me the recommended card for the Nexus 6 is the LTEGSM REMOV 4FF CSIM V3. I was placing an order for a card for the 6P and said I wanted the WW GEM LTE+GSM REM 4FF CSIM V5; the rep said the 6P wasn't in the system but told me what was recommended for the 6, and then offered to send both just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, we do not have any confirmation of that -- only that all recent Motorola handsets since the original Moto X have used a 4FF nano SIM.  USIM or CSIM, that remains unknown, though S4GRU would like to research the issue and publish an article.  What we have seen is reference to the HTC One M9.  Ostensibly, it was the first specifically Sprint variant handset to use the current CSIM.

AJ

I am curious if the Nexus 6 would work with both SIMGLW426C and SIMGLW446C.  When the Nexus 6 first came out, it was listed as requiring SIMGLW426C (Printed 63.03a on the actual SIM).

Now, it seems like the SIMGLW446C (63.08a) works.

At any rate, the proper SIM is now SIMGLW446C (63.08a) for the nexus 5x/6/6P, M9, Moto x Pure as far as I can tell.

I know my GS6 is rocking a SIMGLW426C (63.03a) and they were not swappable between devices.  I will definitely try swapping the SIMGLW446C (63.08a) SIM on the GS6 and see if it carries without needing a manual activation.

Big changes in Sprint land and its extremely confusing.

I know my GS6 is rocking a SIMGLW426C (63.03a) and they were not swappable between devices.  I will definitely try swapping the SIMGLW446C (63.08a) SIM on the GS6 and see if it carries without needing a manual activation.

If you want to be the guinea pig for swapping a compatible CSIM between an activated device and an unactivated device, go right ahead.  But my solid expectation is that the second device will need to be activated first.  Then, CSIM swapping may be possible.  But until the IMEI/MEID has been added to your account via the online device activation tool, I do not think that just an activated CSIM will do the trick.  Sprint is not equipped for it or will not allow it.

AJ

If you want to be the guinea pig for swapping a compatible CSIM between an activated device and an unactivated device, go right ahead.  But my solid expectation is that the second device will need to be activated first.  Then, CSIM swapping may be possible.  But until the IMEI/MEID has been added to your account via the online device activation tool, I do not think that just an activated CSIM will do the trick.  Sprint is not equipped for it or will not allow it.

My Nexus 5X arrived an hour ago.  After running updates on my Nexus 5X, I decided to be a trailblazer and try hot swapping the CSIM from my 2015 Moto X to my unactivated Nexus 5X.  As I expected, that did not pass muster.  The Nexus 5X latched onto band 41, but the hands free cellular activation process would not complete even after several minutes.  So, I am headed to the online activation tool to add the Nexus 5X IMEI/MEID first.

AJ

• Like 2

My Nexus 5X arrived an hour ago.  After running updates on my Nexus 5X, I decided to be a trailblazer and try hot swapping the CSIM from my 2015 Moto X to my unactivated Nexus 5X.  As I expected, that did not pass muster.  The Nexus 5X latched onto band 41, but the hands free cellular activation process would not complete even after several minutes.  So, I am headed to the online activation tool to add the Nexus 5X IMEI/MEID first.

AJ

Thanks for trying - I'll be curious to hear if you can jump back and forth once the Nexus 5x has been activated on Sprint without having to go online and switch on sprint.com

Thanks for trying - I'll be curious to hear if you can jump back and forth once the Nexus 5x has been activated on Sprint without having to go online and switch on sprint.com

I continued my mad scientist bent today, running the CSIM hot swap experiment after the Nexus 5X was IMEI/MEID activated.  From the Nexus 5X back to the 2015 Moto X, the CSIM hot swap does work on the 3GPP side -- both LTE and eHRPD data function right away.  However, it does not appear to work on the 3GPP2 side.  I did not test EV-DO, but CDMA1X was not activated.  An outgoing call was redirected to a Sprint operator.  And regardless of airlink, incoming SMS was not delivered.

In conclusion, if you plan to swap somewhat frequently, your best bet is to have a separate Sprint SIM for each handset.  That obviates the need to dig out the sharp, tiny SIM ejection tool, not to mention, fumble with the similarly tiny nano SIM and tray.  I know that this will not be popular with some who want physical hot swapping, but the online activation tool can accomplish the same in five minutes.

AJ

• Like 3

I continued my mad scientist bent today, running the CSIM hot swap experiment after the Nexus 5X was IMEI/MEID activated.  From the Nexus 5X back to the 2015 Moto X, the CSIM hot swap does work on the 3GPP side -- both LTE and eHRPD data function right away.  However, it does not appear to work on the 3GPP2 side.  I did not test EV-DO, but CDMA1X was not activated.  An outgoing call was redirected to a Sprint operator.  And regardless of airlink, incoming SMS was not delivered.

In conclusion, if you plan to swap somewhat frequently, your best bet is to have a separate Sprint SIM for each handset.  That obviates the need to dig out the sharp, tiny SIM ejection tool, not to mention, fumble with the similarly tiny nano SIM and tray.  I know that this will not be popular with some who want physical hot swapping, but the online activation tool can accomplish the same in five minutes.

AJ

I can confirm the same thing with my GS6.  It attempts to do an OTA activation but fails while LTE works great.

Overall, this is great news.  Getting closer to not having to deal with switching online (which is a hassle because the online activation tool does not work with my SERO account).

• Like 1

I can confirm the same thing with my GS6.  It attempts to do an OTA activation but fails while LTE works great.

Overall, this is great news.  Getting closer to not having to deal with switching online (which is a hassle because the online activation tool does not work with my SERO account).

So I successfully was able to swap sims into my coworkers iPhone 5S on Verizon and access LTE data no problem.

VERY COOL.

I am a google voice user, so all my calls route over data - I feel liberated.

• Like 3

Just so everyone knows, now that I no longer work for the company, I don't have access to direct info about new phone releases and the compatible cards anymore. Unless another employee is willing to forward me this information going forward, the updates to the list will be more sparse, and I'm going to have to rely on user reported updates.

So... if there's anyone that does work for Sprint that knows how to access CEBU and get me the info to update the PRL and UICC/SIM Compatibility charts, it would be much appreciated.  ;)

The Compatibility matrix is already out of date, but I can't find any direct information publicly on the compatibility like I had access to before, to be able to update it properly.

thanks for your efforts.  hopefully someone can come in and fill in the new devices, b/c this info is very useful.  this chart was a lifesaver in helping me figure out what sim i needed for a kyocera phone.

hi all, i came across some info on ting's website.  under the heading "Ting CDMA SIM Cards and Compatible Devices" it lists quite a few sprint devices and what sims they can use https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/205428218-Finding-Your-SIM-Card

you have to scroll down the page a bit

Edited by happyGuy
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, is the latest available SIM (SIMGLW446C, right?) backwards compatible with all previous nano-SIM devices? In other words, does one need to worry about all this SIM compatibility business if one has the SIM that is already most current one used by Sprint?

So, is the latest available SIM (SIMGLW446C, right?) backwards compatible with all previous nano-SIM devices? In other words, does one need to worry about all this SIM compatibility business if one has the SIM that is already most current one used by Sprint?

Yes, that is the report, though unverified.  But the V5 CSIM is supposed to work in all Sprint devices that use a 4FF nano SIM.

AJ

• Like 3