burnout8488

Got an LTE device - Wary of Unlimited Data now

I just joined the LTE party recently, and lucky me, Sprint has started rolling out LTE where I spend most of my time. (Lehigh Valley PA, and Endicott, NY)

Over the years I've read a few "scare" stories of Sprint users getting booted due to excessive data usage. My question is: At what point should I worry? In 2013, is there now a revised "safe zone" of data usage that doesn't raise any red flags? For some reason, I remember 5Gb being the magic number, but now that I've been using LTE, it seems I'm going to suck that up very quickly. 

I know that Sprint has no qualms eliminating customers that use unauthorized tethering, but if I'm following all of the rules using my Sprint device over LTE, how high can I realistically go before Sprint starts to care? 10 gig? 15 gig? Do they even care as long as their users aren't using unauthorized tethering workarounds? 

Also, if I do hit an extremely high amount of (legal) usage, do they send out a warning first, or immediately cancel service? 

I've got a good thing going with my plan right now, and I don't want to be seen as an abuser of it. Since I'm kind of late to the LTE party having an iPhone 4S for so long, I'm not sure what's seen as excessive anymore. 

Thanks for any input you guys can give!

-Alex

• Like 2

I just joined the LTE party recently, and lucky me, Sprint has started rolling out LTE where I spend most of my time. (Lehigh Valley PA, and Endicott, NY)

Over the years I've read a few "scare" stories of Sprint users getting booted due to excessive data usage. My question is: At what point should I worry? In 2013, is there now a revised "safe zone" of data usage that doesn't raise any red flags? For some reason, I remember 5Gb being the magic number, but now that I've been using LTE, it seems I'm going to suck that up very quickly. 

I know that Sprint has no qualms eliminating customers that use unauthorized tethering, but if I'm following all of the rules using my Sprint device over LTE, how high can I realistically go before Sprint starts to care? 10 gig? 15 gig? Do they even care as long as their users aren't using unauthorized tethering workarounds? 

Also, if I do hit an extremely high amount of (legal) usage, do they send out a warning first, or immediately cancel service? 

I've got a good thing going with my plan right now, and I don't want to be seen as an abuser of it. Since I'm kind of late to the LTE party having an iPhone 4S for so long, I'm not sure what's seen as excessive anymore. 

-Alex

I'd imagine that you should be fine assuming your usage doesn't hit hundreds of GBs every month. The only people that Ive ever read about getting the boot from Sprint were using roaming data excessively. I've never read of anyone getting terminated from Sprint for using native Sprint data.

• Like 1

If you are *weary* of unlimited data, Sprint now has lower cost plan options that include 1 GB of data.

AJ

• Like 4

I'd imagine that you should be fine assuming your usage doesn't hit hundreds of GBs every month. The only people that Ive ever read about getting the boot from Sprint were using roaming data excessively. I've never read of anyone getting terminated from Sprint for using native Sprint data.

Great - I barely ever roam, and when I do, it's only a few megabytes per month. Just want to make sure that when I go tower hunting with speedtests, I'm not going to raise any red flags, especially with some occasional LTE Netflix. :-) Maybe I'm being too cautious. 

If you are *weary* of unlimited data, Sprint now has lower cost plan options that include 1 GB of data.

AJ

Heh - Just priced it out, even that one is more than my current plan.  :o

Heh - Just priced it out, even that one is more than my current plan.  :o

My point is that you might want to look up the definition of the word *weary* versus *wary*...

AJ

• Like 5

Well that's embarrassing! 

So, if you are *tired* of unlimited data, there is a Sprint fix for that.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

I've never heard of anyone being terminated for excessive data usage. Like Rawvega said, it's usually roaming data that gets people booted.

I have heard of people being terminated for violating the T&Cs, but only rarely. Lemmie quote em:

Services are not available for use in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Except with Phone-as-Modem add-on, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance.

If you manage to "adversely affect network performance", you likely already know you're abusing it. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

Source: I've worked 1.5 years for Sprint retailers in areas where people really like their unlimited.

• Like 1

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would suspect that you could use at least 10GB/month before you should even worry.

ROAMING though, that's what you need to watch.

• Like 1

So, if you are *tired* of unlimited data, there is a Sprint fix for that.

;)

AJ

If you tired, you could switch to tiered? :P

I use about 15gz or so a mth and they dont say anything to me

I am averaging 20 to 25 GB a month and have not received any text or note on my bill.

• Like 1

Everyone at my store averages 10-20 gb a month and I've seen customers well over 30 th and never seen or heard peep about it. Now if you roam like a 1 gb every month yes they will kick you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Everyone at my store averages 10-20 gb a month and I've seen customers well over 30 th and never seen or heard peep about it. Now if you roam like a 1 gb every month yes they will kick you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

How do people manage 30GB a month? I barely crack 1GB most months. Maybe I spend more time on WiFi than most. I also don't see the point of watching Netflix on a phone... way to small. I'd rather watch on my 60" HDTV :P

• Like 3

How do people manage 30GB a month? I barely crack 1GB most months. Maybe I spend more time on WiFi than most. I also don't see the point of watching Netflix on a phone... way to small. I'd rather watch on my 60" HDTV :P

MLB at bat, web browsing, dodger games, twitter, doing all these at work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week since we are monitored for usage, being outside of WiFI zones, updates, sensorly... you get the idea

• Like 3

Let's see... last month, which was actually quite a bit more usage than usual, I'm at 0.87 GB.
  • Like 1

MLB at bat, web browsing, dodger games, twitter, doing all these at work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week since we are monitored for usage, being outside of WiFI zones, updates, sensorly... you get the idea

For me it is work with multiple spreadsheets, documents, pictures, 25 replies from other parties on the same email, Google maps, etc... I am on WiFi some but it do quite a bit on a data connection.

I use on average even taking advantage of WiFi 5 gigs on LTE data on Sprint and 800 kbps on 3G due to it being unusable 60% of the time. Now I will tell you use alot of Sprint data then you getting a LTE device now may have been a mistake and you should have waited for triband. I have been in places where Verizon LTE penetrates buildings at 100 dbm while a Sprint phone wont penetrate or just barely does with basically unusable LTE even though the Sprint tower is miles closer than the Verizon tower.

i got stuck in a hotel room in dallas last year on a business trip, LTE had just started rolling out but i had LTE in my room. i blew through 37gig in one day streaming TV and movies from my media collection at home. didn't hear a peep.

• Like 1

i used to tether my rooted EVO with the WiMAX 4G for xbox live. ran up about 30GB in one billing cycle and sprint never said anything...

If you are using the data from apps on your smartphone, you never have to worry. Start breaking the T&C's by unauthorized tethering or hotspotting, then high usages are going to get you in trouble.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 4

i used to tether my rooted EVO with the WiMAX 4G for xbox live. ran up about 30GB in one billing cycle and sprint never said anything...

And shame on you -- 30 GB is just ridiculous.  If I were Sprint, I would have canned you with an ETF so fast that your head would still be spinning to this day.

In this thread, do not include any discussion of unauthorized tethering/mobile hotspot usage.  That abuses "unlimited" data and such discussion violates S4GRU rules.

AJ

• Like 1

And shame on you -- 30 GB is just ridiculous.  If I were Sprint, I would have canned you with an ETF so fast that your head would still be spinning to this day.

In this thread, do not include any discussion of unauthorized tethering/mobile hotspot usage.  That abuses "unlimited" data and such discussion violates S4GRU rules.

AJ

oh alright. it only because i was between internet in my transititon for a new provider. apoligies!

-Alex

I'm from the Lehigh Valley, too!  Whereabouts are you?

oh alright. it only because i was between internet in my transititon for a new provider. apoligies!

Wireless data is a shared resource.  You have to recognize that and behave appropriately.  Otherwise, you are the pig at the trough that hogs the food and snorts at the others.

AJ