Why doesn't Sprint charge for roaming?

Ascertion

As you may have heard, if you excessively roam on your phone, Sprint will drop your line. My question is why doesn't Sprint conquer the abusers by charging for Roaming overages? (Ie: if you go over your 300mb limit, they charge you so and so per mb.) I'm getting annoyed at reading people suggest to others to force roam all of the time to unethically get out of contract...

As you may have heard, if you excessively roam on your phone, Sprint will drop your line. My question is why doesn't Sprint conquer the abusers by charging for Roaming overages? (Ie: if you go over your 300mb limit, they charge you so and so per mb.) I'm getting annoyed at reading people suggest to others to force roam all of the time to unethically get out of contract...

Well then they couldn't say you get free roaming.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

From what I've heard in these cases folks are required to send back their devices as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My question would be, how to-the-letter-of-policy are they in terms of even sending a warning (outside of obviously egregious overages)?  And does someone in the process look at exactly where the roaming occurred?  

The idealist in me would like to think that if you say doubled the supposed limit for example (which would be 600MB on the old plans such as I'm still on) because you were traveling in an area in which there was simply no other choice but roaming, they'd let that slide and wouldn't even send a warning.  Or even if it were more than that, to weigh your native on-network usage versus what you've done vs. roaming.  Obviously if someone is consistently in roaming coverage comparatively, it would be hard to justify keeping them on, but it would be nice if there were some sort of logical analysis in the mix before someone was just arbitrarily warned much less dumped.  

Back to the OP, maybe they could institute some sort of dual-cap hybrid scenario that incorporates the OP's suggestion, i.e. roaming is free up to 250MB per month.  Past that, its X amount per megabyte which is very reasonable/competitive and not hurt those that may travel to areas with only roaming as an option much, but those rates only apply up to 1GB of usage, at which point the per-megabyte charges jump to hefty/significant per-MB charges past that.

It's my understanding that this is on a case-by-case basis...they don't just drop everyone across the board who incurs over 300mb (or 100mb) of roaming data do they? I mean...they have to look at the account in question, like in my case..

Airave working fine = no roaming hardly at all on my account...

But...Galaxy S3 + Airave 2.5....I have a hard time staying on my Airave.

When I don't hit my Airave, I roam on the VZW tower just up the road...and I've tried everything ...down to relocating the entire Airave to another part of my home...thinking it was something to do with the GPS antenna causing it not to allow my GS3 and my wife's GS3 to connect to it...

But we still hit 1X data...until Wifi picks up.

I've tried encapsulating my entire "area" where we mostly see drops in wifi...but I wasted a chunk of money buying Ubiquiti devices that I couldn't find any help in setting up... And i'm still stuck with weak spots in Wifi signal mostly when we go out to our cook-out area and the bonfire hole...we spend lots of time in the yard when the kids are home, especially this time of year, and for the life of me I can't get the Airave to reach. I even called them and had them issue a ticket to expand the coverage to the max ..but we both roam outside.

When they were upgrading the tower next to my work, I was stuck roaming for over two weeks because they somehow didn't connect the equipment correctly. I went to my Sprint store asking about the roaming policy since I didn't want to run into any issues since it was beyond my control. I was told by the person there who also claimed to be the district manager that Sprint doesn't take just a hard line "you hit 100MB, have a nice life with Verizon" approach, but they take into account over the course of the past few months and if you roamed the majority of your minutes or data on average or hit well over the limit each month.

I was considering taking a vacation to a place with no Sprint coverage.  My plan info regarding roaming states "300 Mb OR A MAJORITY OF DATA" and "800 minutes OR A MAJORITY OF MINUTES".  What does THAT mean?  So I asked.

I got a snippy email reply telling me I could use 300Mb of data and/or 800 minutes while on my vacation with no additional charge BUT SPRINT CAREFULLY MONITORS ROAMING AND IF THIS BECAME A PATTERN MY ACCOUNT WAS SUBJECT TO TERMINATION.  OK, so what's this "majority" bit?  Apparently you can use more than 300Mb of data and more than 800 minutes in a roaming area if you use lots more data and voice on the Sprint network during that billing cycle.

DId you ever hear of such a stupid, ambiguous limit?  Considering that everything regarding cellular service is explained in explicit tiny print on the contract, I am curious exactly what the "tipping point" is that irks them enough to cancel a line.

I was considering taking a vacation to a place with no Sprint coverage. My plan info regarding roaming states "300 Mb OR A MAJORITY OF DATA" and "800 minutes OR A MAJORITY OF MINUTES". What does THAT mean? So I asked. I got a snippy email reply telling me I could use 300Mb of data and/or 800 minutes while on my vacation with no additional charge BUT SPRINT CAREFULLY MONITORS ROAMING AND IF THIS BECAME A PATTERN MY ACCOUNT WAS SUBJECT TO TERMINATION. OK, so what's this "majority" bit? Apparently you can use more than 300Mb of data and more than 800 minutes in a roaming are aim if you use lots more data and voice on the Sprint network during that billing cycle. DId you ever hear of such a stupid, ambiguous limit? Considering that everything regarding cellular service is explained in explicit tiny print on the contract, I am curious exactly what the "tipping point" is that irks them enough to cancel a line.

What's so stupid about that? Would you rather Sprint just immediately cut you the moment you hit your limit? It seems to me that Sprint is trying to be lenient in their roaming policy without also being taken advantage of with high roam charges.

What's so stupid about that? Would you rather Sprint just immediately cut you the moment you hit your limit? It seems to me that Sprint is trying to be lenient in their roaming policy without also being taken advantage of with high roam charges.

Perhaps so, but telling subscribers that "we are going to keep an eye on you and if you exceed our (secret) roaming pattern limits we will disconnect your phone" isn't very professional in my opinion.

Yep, i asked one of the reps after I called them about going over 300mb again. She told me that since I had more than one line I should just call the other phone and let it stay connected overnight to rack up a bunch of non-roaming minutes. I only use about 30-50 minutes a month so if for some odd reason I have a couple long phone calls while roaming around town those won't push me over my majority.

When I first got my service with sprint back in like January, my roaming data was listed as unlimited as per their website. However, it turned to "see terms" eventually which I didn't even think was legal to change someone's contract but regardless it's not a big deal. I was wondering if there is a way to check on roaming minutes/texts. I know you can check the data but what about minutes and texts? Also does the limit apply per line or does it apply as a whole? I have four lines on my account and I personally hardly ever roam, but my sister tends to more because of her school's location. Would sprint consider her roaming "less" because of my virtually non-roaming? I hope someone understood me, I feel like I talk in a confusing manner sometimes.

When I first got my service with sprint back in like January, my roaming data was listed as unlimited as per their website. However, it turned to "see terms" eventually which I didn't even think was legal to change someone's contract but regardless it's not a big deal. I was wondering if there is a way to check on roaming minutes/texts. I know you can check the data but what about minutes and texts? Also does the limit apply per line or does it apply as a whole? I have four lines on my account and I personally hardly ever roam, but my sister tends to more because of her school's location. Would sprint consider her roaming "less" because of my virtually non-roaming? I hope someone understood me, I feel like I talk in a confusing manner sometimes.

On Sprint's web site if you click on "detailed usage" they break down the DATA as "Sprint 3G data roaming"-at least on my account.  But VOICE minutes look the same.  I guess the only way to keep track is to tell your phone to warn you when it is roaming (mine pops up a message just before the call is placed offering to continue or abort the call).  And then if you click continue check the call in your call log for the time.  You could just selectively delete all NON-ROAMING calls thus keeping only roaming calls in your log.

My question aimed more towards the abusers. Why are they not charged per MB over the 300/100 limit?

Or more specifically -- have a way for them to be offered a charge instead of a disconnect.  Some may be looking for the chance to move on -- but there are many that would probably accept a charge instead of a disconnect (or how about a 3 strike policy?)

I'd say a fair option would be to offer a service add on to your plan to buy a package of roaming minutes/data that would be in addition to the standard policy. That way, if you know next month you will take a trip outside of coverage, you can add it to your plan for that month, or if you are on the fringe, it could be a cost effective way to add a little buffer while still giving Sprint a little amount to provide the additional roaming. Additionally, if someone just went really overboard, Sprint could then prompt via SMS or an automated call to add a roaming package once a certain limit was hit so that the person could correct the issue before it gets out of hand and Sprint then has a way to recoup the costs of letting a user go hog wild on roaming before just cutting the cord without any penalties.

The number of users who have had their contracts ended due to roaming are far, far fewer than the number of users going over the stated limits. 

Keep in mind that Sprint does not pay the same rates for all roaming.  The rates Sprint pays vary based on the partner and mutual roaming.  We have deduced in the past that a Sprint customer consistently exceeding the 300mb limit on Verizon is far more likely to cause Sprint's criticism than a customer substantially exceeding it on legacy Alltel arrangements or with a regional carrier.   

Sprint's ambiguity here is still a pro for Sprint.  If I travel or go on vacation and end up in an area with no Sprint coverage for a week or two, I like the idea of not being shut down at 300mb.  I eventually return to Sprint coverage and do not exceed the limit in other months. 

The problem is "or majority"

If I use 10 regular minutes, and 50 roaming, then by far the majority has been roaming. Am I being kicked off?

Its ambiguous.

The problem is "or majority"

If I use 10 regular minutes, and 50 roaming, then by far the majority has been roaming. Am I being kicked off?

Its ambiguous.

No. Voice costs them very little. Its more or less about whether the account/ line of service remains profitable.

Anyone pining for an iron fist here is welcome to move to the south and get cspire service. They have the same 50% rule and enforce it with overrage charges. My brother in law went to oklahoma once for a 3 month job and in month two received $250 in overrage charges because he had no native voice or data usage.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

My sense of things on Sprint (as a 10+ year customer who's spent a bit of time in marginal areas) is as long as you're not parked on roaming service most of the time, and staying under the limits, occasional months where your off-network usage exceeds on-network won't be an issue.

But if you pull a Robert and move to the boonies, and then rack up hundreds of minutes of roaming a month for several straight months with virtually no on-network usage, they'll eventually cancel your service. Of course, if you move outside of native coverage they'll usually release you from your contract to avoid these issues in the first place.

• Like 1

Yep, i asked one of the reps after I called them about going over 300mb again. She told me that since I had more than one line I should just call the other phone and let it stay connected overnight to rack up a bunch of non-roaming minutes.

Can I just say this is an insane recommendation coming from a representative of the company? She couldn't put a note on the account or something?

My sense of things on Sprint (as a 10+ year customer who's spent a bit of time in marginal areas) is as long as you're not parked on roaming service most of the time, and staying under the limits, occasional months where your off-network usage exceeds on-network won't be an issue.

But if you pull a Robert and move to the boonies, and then rack up hundreds of minutes of roaming a month for several straight months with virtually no on-network usage, they'll eventually cancel your service. Of course, if you move outside of native coverage they'll usually release you from your contract to avoid these issues in the first place.

Or you could move to a place like where I live where most of the town isn't in native service even though the service is allowed to be sold to the zip code in question. I assume Sprint customers here would be released from the contract for camping out on 1X Extended Alltel coverage here. I've never signed up for a Sprint postpaid line to find out what happens, my guess would be that I'd get the Golden Ticket after 3-4 months. 

• Like 1