EON Wireless & FTTH provider

Mobilesolutions

Well I have to say congratulations - imho it's a huge deal to be doing what you're doing and I'd love to do something similar. Unfortunately, despite my aspirations, I am no engineer and I would have no chance in the wireless industry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I don't believe that's true.  I can clarify many of the questions of "how wireless works."

& I'll throw in a 20MHZ TDD test. Outdoors, NLOS, less than a 1/4 mile from the Sector.  Converted by the MikroTik 2.4/5.8

-Will

f9r3nd.jpg

Here's a question, what kind of pricing would a user be looking at?

That is a highly variable question.  Do you want 5GB of fixed wireless? $12 a month , 25GB of Mobile data; $100.  That same $100 will get you about 100GB of fixed wireless. 

-Will

That is a highly variable question.  Do you want 5GB of fixed wireless? $12 a month , 25GB of Mobile data; $100.  That same $100 will get you about 100GB of fixed wireless. 

-Will

Ah, plus equipment cost?

Ah, plus equipment cost?

For the mobile equipment the cost have not been defined so clearly.  It would not be very "fun" or practical for a mainstream consumer to run around with a hand built Mikrotik with an external battery all sealed in a gallon Ziploc bag so it all stays together as you move around  :blush:.  However if I could get a traditional manufacturer like [Netgear] behind the idea, a portable hotspot from them would probably cost a consumer $60-80(on contract.)  As for 2 year contract fixed wireless customers a $4 monthly equipment rental will suffice. 

-Will

For the mobile equipment the cost have not been defined so clearly.  It would not be very "fun" or practical for a mainstream consumer to run around with a hand built Mikrotik with an external battery all sealed in a gallon Ziploc bag so it all stays together as you move around  :blush:.  However if I could get a traditional manufacturer like [Netgear] behind the idea, a portable hotspot from them would probably cost a consumer $60-80(on contract.)  As for 2 year contract fixed wireless customers a $4 monthly equipment rental will suffice. 

-Will

Docsis 3.0 modems? MoCA modems? 

I'm still hunting for other ideas, but i think Googles concept is pretty much what people are looking for. 

Docsis 3.0 modems? MoCA modems? 

I'm still hunting for other ideas, but i think Googles concept is pretty much what people are looking for. 

Dual + band 20MHz TDD (40 MHz) portable hot-spots.  That is my answer. 

I should be able to post test results tonight or tomorrow.

-Will

-Will

So does anyone actually make off-the-shelf stuff that can be used today?

For fixed wireless, yes.  For mobile, No.

-Will

Ah cool. That's a good business model, and honestly, having decent speeds at home is really where the core business will be. Mobile users are a fickle bunch, but home modems are the key. 

Real world example, I know someone who is stuck with Time Warner Cable for ISP, because the building will NOT allow any alternate access (Clear/Sprint, Verizon FiOS, etc.) They would be a perfect candidate for your solution, depending on cost.

• Like 1

Ah cool. That's a good business model, and honestly, having decent speeds at home is really where the core business will be. Mobile users are a fickle bunch, but home modems are the key. 

Real world example, I know someone who is stuck with Time Warner Cable for ISP, because the building will NOT allow any alternate access (Clear/Sprint, Verizon FiOS, etc.) They would be a perfect candidate for your solution, depending on cost.

I am trying to make the service a great VALUE.  Customers are happy when they feel they are getting their money's worth. 

-Will

I am not happy with Comcast and there is no DSL option for my neighborhood. Just having an alternative to Comcast would make me happy since the company only seems to employ crooks and outsourced Indian tech support "experts" who don't seem to know what a modem is besides it has a power plug.

I am not happy with Comcast and there is no DSL option for my neighborhood. Just having an alternative to Comcast would make me happy since the company only seems to employ crooks and outsourced Indian tech support "experts" who don't seem to know what a modem is besides it has a power plug.

But would you be satisfied with highly varied speeds throughout the day?  Even though you might have 90mbps at one time of the day the next minute you could have 15, this is not something you run into with a cable line. 

-Will

But would you be satisfied with highly varied speeds throughout the day?  Even though you might have 90mbps at one time of the day the next minute you could have 15, this is not something you run into with a cable line. 

-Will

I don't want to speak for him, but I think he's saying that in his area Comcast needs competition so that they can't get away with some of the crap they pull.

• Like 1

I would be happy with even 5-10 mbps at this point with a high cap or unlimited option. I don't download a lot, but I like to stream Netflix and Spotify and I have ADT Pulse. Comcast has over billed me 14 out of 17 months and it takes hours of hold being bounced between reps to fix. My modem has to be power cycled every few days so when I am away and try to adjust my thermostat or lights it won't work since my cable modem won't respond. I am being bent over on my double play package, but if I cancel my TV service, my cable Internet doubles in price making satellite cost even more. I love having high speed, but it's not worth the stress of dealing with Comcast. I am sure there are many others who feel the same way.

I would be happy with even 5-10 mbps at this point with a high cap or unlimited option. I don't download a lot, but I like to stream Netflix and Spotify and I have ADT Pulse. Comcast has over billed me 14 out of 17 months and it takes hours of hold being bounced between reps to fix. My modem has to be power cycled every few days so when I am away and try to adjust my thermostat or lights it won't work since my cable modem won't respond. I am being bent over on my double play package, but if I cancel my TV service, my cable Internet doubles in price making satellite cost even more. I love having high speed, but it's not worth the stress of dealing with Comcast. I am sure there are many others who feel the same way.

Because wireless is a shared resource I couldn't offer REAL unlimited fixed wireless unless I throttle & compress data.  An unlimited plan would exceed $100 monthly if it ever did exist.  Would something between 70-120GB monthly fit your needs? On a 2 year contract for 100GB it would run you about $70 monthly & then you have about $13 between equipment rental fees & tax. 

These prices reflect variables in OKC, bandwidth, lease space, etc.  This makes across the board pricing difficult as the variables may be more expensive in St Augustine. 

-Will

I will need to take on a large strategic partner in order to really win, there is a difference of competing vs beating. 

Yeah, I don't plan on using a crazy amount of data. I just don't like that nagging worry in the back of my head about going over. I thought I used a ton of data, but last month I checked and I only used about 2.2 gigs of data on my phone. I will give you an example of why I feel any competition is needed. I have Comcast double play. I did everything to keep my bill as low a possible. I have the standard "preferred" package which includes basic channel plus Discovery, BBC, Science, National Geographic, etc. No premium channels. I bought my own modem and two tivos. I just lease two cable cards for two tivos and one digital box for the guest room. My Internet is the lowest 20 mbps tier. My bill is $180 on average. Sometimes it is higher depending on if Comcast wants to charge a new fee.

If there was a 5-10 mbps speed with say 100 Gb, or even throttle to 3 mbps after 50 gb for around $40-50/month I'd jump all over it.

Yeah, I don't plan on using a crazy amount of data. I just don't like that nagging worry in the back of my head about going over. I thought I used a ton of data, but last month I checked and I only used about 2.2 gigs of data on my phone. I will give you an example of why I feel any competition is needed. I have Comcast double play. I did everything to keep my bill as low a possible. I have the standard "preferred" package which includes basic channel plus Discovery, BBC, Science, National Geographic, etc. No premium channels. I bought my own modem and two tivos. I just lease two cable cards for two tivos and one digital box for the guest room. My Internet is the lowest 20 mbps tier. My bill is $180 on average. Sometimes it is higher depending on if Comcast wants to charge a new fee.

If there was a 5-10 mbps speed with say 100 Gb, or even throttle to 3 mbps after 50 gb for around $40-50/month I'd jump all over it.

Except that it doesn't make for the best business model, I would love to charge a flat rate per GB & only charge for what you use. 

55GB @ $.77/GB is $42.35

-Will

I remember when my dad signed us up with AOL and they charged per minute being online.

Any way you can make a business model that works for you and work for the customer, it will be a great win for everyone. This country is in desperate need of competition to stir the telecommunications industry up.

• Like 1

I thought I used a lot of data, but I guess I don't use that much. This is from my Comcast account page, I just found out I can see my usage.

2013-10-06_12-50-14.png

I thought I was more of a data hog.

I thought I used a lot of data, but I guess I don't use that much. This is from my Comcast account page, I just found out I can see my usage.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 2013-10-06_12-50-14.png

Yeah, I'm more of a data hog than you are. I can use 100GB/mo.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

attachicon.gif2013-10-06_12-50-14.png

You are an excellent candidate for fixed wireless. 

-Will