EON Wireless & FTTH provider

Mobilesolutions

@iansltx

Thank you so much killjoy...

*sad face* (REALLY, REALLY, sad face.)

The bright side is that you could start a WISP on your own if you wanted. Find a cheap-ish fiber bandwidth source (or even a business class cable connection) and distribute it to 50 of your closest friends via a local water tower with 5.8GHz equipment.

I've seriously thought about calling up Sprint to see if I could lease some CLWR spectrum from them...the 2.4GHz equipment available for WISPs can be tuned pretty easily to 2.5GHz...but have never gotten around to it for fear that the answer would be no.

• Like 1

Hate to let everyone down on this thread, but those spectrum licenses are for

1. "Light licensed" 3.65GHz. I forget the name of the WiMAX provider that used this spectrum and then went belly-up, taking a lot of BTOP or equivalent funding with them. Was a few years ago. The spectrum itself isn't bad, but there isn't much of it, it's effectively fixed-only (speaking from indirect experience from a telephone co-op that deployed in the band) and you don't have it all to yourself. A license costs under $200 for 10 years nationwide, though you can't operate in 3.65 "Exclusion Zones" around a number of large cities.
  2. Unlicensed 900MHz. This one's a minefield, because the majority of smart meters run in this band. As do a number of existing wireless service providers (WISPs). And, again, not much spectrum there.

Can you run an actual mobile network on either band? All signs point to no...the closest thing you can do is something like Clearwire's desktop modem: a relatively high-powered, self-installed device.

Am I saying that this is all a bad idea? Well, no...it's being done to some extent by a ton of WISPs out there. Heck, if I wasn't so busy writing software I'd execute on what's been a dream of mine since high school. But it's no panacea. Unless I'm missing some secret sauce that William knows and I don't (like hardware that's nearly as cost-effective as Ubiquiti gear but much more performant...or almost as performant and in a much smaller form factor).

Oh, and you aren't going to find LTE in either of those bands. The LTE airlink is way too fragile to perform well with any level of interference that can't be managed tightly (aka you must have full-on licensed spectrum). For what it's worth, if you could convince Globalstar to let you rent TLPS from them, you could run TD-LTE on that. But none of us here have the money to do that for more than a few days.

Lastly, if you're doing fixed wireless, 5.x GHz or MV-DDS spectrum (~12GHz) is preferable to lower bands, due to the capacity available. MV-DDS is actually available in a few (rural) areas on reasonable licensing terms, though most of it is owned by...you guessed it...Dish. 5.x is the same spectrum that 802.11ac routers ramp up on, so it'll get more cluttered as time goes on. But it'll still be usable for high-bandwidth PtMP fixed wireless for awhile yet, and you can actually compete with the lower end of cable on a speed basis. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper to deploy than LTE (the equipment as well as the licenses) or fiber.

I'm sure we both know a thing or two.  You are right, 3.6 Ghz licences are inexpensive, the licence costs would total a little over 14 million dollars on a national deployment; Which is relatively cheap given the 5 billion dollar price tags associated with many previous spectrum acquisitions.  Saying that Lte will never work over 900 or 3.6 is very easy, call it LTE or not it; high speed transmission works.  The FCC has not slit my throat yet, in fact they have been pleasant to deal with. 

I'm sure we both know a thing or two.  You are right, 3.6 Ghz licences are inexpensive, the licence costs would total a little over 14 million dollars on a national deployment; Which is relatively cheap given the 5 billion dollar price tags associated with many previous spectrum acquisitions.  Saying that Lte will never work over 900 or 3.6 is very easy, call it LTE or not it; high speed transmission works.  The FCC has not slit my throat yet, in fact they have been pleasant to deal with. 

I would think the FCC is the least of your worries.  I would be more concernned with the likes of the cable and other providers.  Too bad you cannot combine with google to advance the backhaul and the tech sooner.  I would love to have a connection that doesnot cost an arm and a leg to use in OC. 

I would think the FCC is the least of your worries.  I would be more concernned with the likes of the cable and other providers.  Too bad you cannot combine with google to advance the backhaul and the tech sooner.  I would love to have a connection that doesnot cost an arm and a leg to use in OC.

There is no physical barrier which blocks Eon/Sprint/Google from joining. And what a powerful trio that would be.

There is no physical barrier which blocks Eon/Sprint/Google from joining. And what a powerful trio that would be.

Are you looking to make this a strictly data solution or is there a possibilty of other services?

Not immediately. Wireless is not a TV replacement, a lot can be done with home fiber connection however.

Best of luck to you in the FTTH.  It is too bad you cannot get the support of a former vice-politician to push this quicker and streamline your applications for the construction that will be needed.

• Like 1

@Ian

If I were to start an MVNO, i think it'd be worth it.

Joint-venture anyone? :) I'm good with ideas, and execution. I also have supreme writing skills...

MVNOs aren't all they're cracked up to be. I'm talking about building your own infrastructure. You can't solve coverage issues with an MVNO. Unless one of the strong points of your MVNO is that you, for every customer, set 'em up with a few dozen feet of LMR cable hooked to a couple grid antennas pointed at the nearest Sprint tower. Which actually works like a charm when you're five miles away.

In NYC for example I would need site spacing tighter than Sprint 1900 for 3.6ghz.

Yes, which would require lease costs, etc. no? I'm assuming the solution would revolve around a fixed modem of sorts for the end user? Similar to the Clearwire Moto WiMAX desktop modem?

I'm thinking about that solution for a user like myself who uses >300gb a month just streaming videos and such on my FiOS.

With or without investors this will start slowly happening, the process would be quantum magnified with more capital.

Concretely 1 city will have commercial services available this fall.

Well I have to say congratulations - imho it's a huge deal to be doing what you're doing and I'd love to do something similar. Unfortunately, despite my aspirations, I am no engineer and I would have no chance in the wireless industry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Well I have to say congratulations - imho it's a huge deal to be doing what you're doing and I'd love to do something similar. Unfortunately, despite my aspirations, I am no engineer and I would have no chance in the wireless industry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

You don't need a piece of paper to know what engineer's know.  Just time and patience and a lot of studying. 

These 3 bands will be used first.

905-925 20 Mhz TDD, 3652-3672 20Mhz TDD, 3677-3697 20Mhz TDD

With or without investors this will start slowly happening, the process would be quantum magnified with more capital. 

Concretely 1 city will have commercial services available this fall. 

If you make it into semi-rural West Michigan, I'll gladly beta test for ya.  I'm less than 100yds form where the local cable company says their service ends and refuse to expand it.  If you have licenses, get this setup :)

If you make it into semi-rural West Michigan, I'll gladly beta test for ya.  I'm less than 100yds form where the local cable company says their service ends and refuse to expand it.  If you have licenses, get this setup :)

Licenses are ready, current funding will not permit any deployment across state lines & probably will not unless i got a large private partner or took to public funding. 

-Will

• Like 1

Licenses are ready, current funding will not permit any deployment across state lines & probably will not unless i got a large private partner or took to public funding. 

-Will

Might i recommend a former VP? Possibly a goliath search engine?

Just a thought, but would it be feasible for your FTTH customers to have small sites installed at their residences for a discount to service in order to help propagate your service in more densely-populated areas?

Yes, but that will not likely happen unless Its in small cell form factor. 

-Will