Video Game Discussion (Was: So...which next gen console are you getting?)

Ascertion

Xbox One or PS4?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which console are you getting?

• Xbox One
    • Playstation 4
    • Wii-U
    • PC Master race has no reason to buy one of these pieces of junk!
    • Still Deciding...

I have the PS4 launch edition preordered off Amazon but debating whether or not I want to switch my order to the Xbox One. I have an Xbox 360 and it has been arguably my favorite console to date. I'm also a little hesitant on how well the Sony platform works compared to the Xbox One.

I'm using the Ps3 and 360 as a base. I am a very casual gamer. Maybe play once every 2 weeks or so, but whenever I turn on one of the consoles, I usually have to update either the game or system. On PS3, it's typically the system and takes upwards to an hour to download/install. Also, the other day I wanted to install Netflix onto my PS3 and it said store was down for maintenance... I've never experienced that on Xbox Live out of the entire 6 years I've had it. I'm hoping Sony fixes these issues when the PS4 comes about. Otherwise I'm likely to stick with Microsoft.

Thoughts? Microsoft has reversed everything that's made me go to Ps4 in the first place.

Which console are you getting, and why?

already got my PS4 preordered, launch edition. Not buying Microsoft's jank system, their reversal of past statements just tells me they are copying whatever Sony is going to do. Before it was DRM, always on, etc and then immediately after Sony whooped them at E3 it was retract and copy.

I think what people are failing to realize is that Sony is starting to push the same features as Microsoft is with the Xbox One, without making it obvious. I think Microsoft has something in the Xbox that isn't in the PS4. I don't know what it is, but everytime I use my PS3 it just doesn't feel the same as my Xbox. I think that the whole reason that people begin considering PlayStation is the whole free PSN thing. I don't mind paying 60 dollars each year if it means I don't have to worry about me losing live for months at a time or having access to features like controlling my cable box and such.

PS4 already pre ordered. I have never had a problem with my PS2 or PS3 unlike many people who had major reliability issues with the first two x-boxes. We have also begrudgingly become a Sony household.

I think what people are failing to realize is that Sony is starting to push the same features as Microsoft is with the Xbox One, without making it obvious. I think Microsoft has something in the Xbox that isn't in the PS4. I don't know what it is, but everytime I use my PS3 it just doesn't feel the same as my Xbox. I think that the whole reason that people begin considering PlayStation is the whole free PSN thing. I don't mind paying 60 dollars each year if it means I don't have to worry about me losing live for months at a time or having access to features like controlling my cable box and such.

Well that changed when PS4 was announced, as online multiplayer is a premium feature with the exception for free to play multiplayer games such as MMO's and other already announced games that were F2P. I think Sony did good on that too, because when you look at the rest of what you are getting by becoming a subscriber, the package is worth it. I was skeptical on becoming a plus subscriber, but I'm definitely going to get a subscription.

I typically do PC gaming, but if I were to get one then I'd get the Xbox One.  I've just had a great experience with the Xbox and am not a fan of the PS controller. 

Don't blame you for switching after that fiasco with the Xbox One polices and stuff.  Very poor move by Microsoft. 

Then again I'm an avid FPS player and I think that the Xbox controller is better for that. I am also happy about COD running off of Microsoft's servers to reduce lag online. I think that's one thing that they got right. I also like how you don't have to wait for downloads to finish before playing a game.

I don't have a problem with reversal of policy. I think it's ironic because they did it because they were listening to people's complaints and now everyone is mad because they listened to complaints.

I think that Microsoft was trying to take Xbox in the way of PC which is good, but the console gamers weren't ready for it. I think that the PS4 is less of an upgrade than the Xbox One.

I am glad that we have this thread.  Now, I know who the first person shooter, sports simulation, and crime fantasy *crack addicts* are so that I can look down my nose at you.  Meanwhile, I have a Wii U and am enjoying Virtual Console play of the two greatest video game systems ever made -- NES and SNES.  You know, back when video games were actually *games*.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Then again I'm an avid FPS player and I think that the Xbox controller is better for that. I am also happy about COD running off of Microsoft's servers to reduce lag online. I think that's one thing that they got right. I also like how you don't have to wait for downloads to finish before playing a game.

I don't have a problem with reversal of policy. I think it's ironic because they did it because they were listening to people's complaints and now everyone is mad because they listened to complaints.

I think that Microsoft was trying to take Xbox in the way of PC which is good, but the console gamers weren't ready for it. I think that the PS4 is less of an upgrade than the Xbox One.

Well in reality both consoles are about on par. Sony has said the PS4 is 10x as powerful as the PS3, though both the PS3 and PS4 are about evenly matched at 1.8 for PS3 and 1.84 teraflops for PS4, though they use entirely different chipsets. PS3 uses Sony's proprietary Cell processor, while PS4 and Xbox One use older AMD x86 processors.The PS4 does have the edge though with memory as its using GDDR5 over the Xbox One using DDR3. DDR3 is good for lower latency and they have an embedded eSRAM chip to help the bandwidth side but it won't be pumping out the same amount of bandwidth the PS4 can do. It will also help lower development costs and times now that both are using the exact same processor, possibly prices on games too but don't hold your breath on that one.

• Like 1

PS4 here.  i have never had any issues with my PS3 and its the original 60 gig model.  Also never had any issues with the store or PSN.  I currently have a 360 and a PS3. The 360 hasn't been powered up for over a year.  Having to pay for live gold just to watch netflix angered me.  As for the One being able to control cable boxes and what not,  I could not care less, my Harmony Ultimate controls everything just fine.

• Like 2

PS4 here.  i have never had any issues with my PS3 and its the original 60 gig model.  Also never had any issues with the store or PSN.  I currently have a 360 and a PS3. The 360 hasn't been powered up for over a year.  Having to pay for live gold just to watch netflix angered me.  As for the One being able to control cable boxes and what not,  I could not care less, my Harmony Ultimate controls everything just fine.

The 60GB is considered Playstation gold, the only problem is that its the console with the highest failure percentage as it was using a 1st generation processor that had heating issues. I have my original 60GB but its sitting in a corner as I have to get it repaired from the "yellow light of death". The newer PS3's use smaller and more efficient processors over the first gen ones. The 60GB also still goes for a lot of money online too.

Ah, yes, I just played some "The Legend of Zelda."  It is inarguably one of the 10 greatest video games of all time and was just rereleased on the Wii U Virtual Console this week.

AJ

• Like 1

Oh that's another thing. I've been unable to use my PS3 all summer because it can't handle the heat. It overheats after 5 minutes of use and turns itself off. In the winter it works fine.

yep, the fat PS3's are known to have overheating issues. This was fixed with the smaller PS3's, and its likely the PS4 won't have this problem given the amount of vents on the back and the processor already being out for quite some time. The PS4 is also smaller than the PS3 slim models.The Xbox One is bigger than the Xbox 360.

Edited by UCFKnight