Samsung SPH-L700 aka "Sprint Galaxy Nexus" makes it to the FCC

irev210

I think most people (myself included) were hoping that Sprint would future proof its first line of LTE phones so when Sprint jumps to 1xA which will include the 850MHz band these phones would already have the capability built in instead of having a partially obsolete phone within 6 months to a year.

Based on the 800 LTE dates I'm starting to see this is not going to be a big deal on these first devices. They will be starting to be toward obsolete when 800 LTE is out in a big way. 800 CDMA is coming much sooner though. And these new devices support that.

Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

Sorry for my ignorance but what all bands does Verizon use? Or could someone point me in the direction on where I could compare the differences of the two? I just find it interesting how different the two companies are yet a lot of people think they use the same tech.

How to you all think the G Nexus will compare between the two networks?

Sorry for my ignorance but what all bands does Verizon use? Or could someone point me in the direction on where I could compare the differences of the two? I just find it interesting how different the two companies are yet a lot of people think they use the same tech.

How to you all think the G Nexus will compare between the two networks?

Verizon runs LTE on the 700MHz band (for now) in a 10MHz x 10MHz FD-LTE configuration.

Sprint runs LTE on the 1900MHz PCS band (for now) in a 5MHz x 5MHz FD-LTE configuration.

Verizon's setup has twice as much spectrum vs. Sprint (even more in some areas), so Verizon will have higher top speeds. That being said, Verizon also has more subscribers, so in a loaded network environment, I think they will be competitive with one another.

Next year, the game changes with LTE-Advanced. Verizon will roll out LTE-Advanced using their current 700MHz spectrum + their AWS spectrum.

Sprint will roll out LTE-Advanced using 800MHz SMR, PCS 1900MHz and Clearwire's 2.5GHz spectrum.

Both will be good but I feel like if Sprint doesn't screw it up, they will have more capacity than any other carrier. Only clearwire can come in and launch ~150+MHz of spectrum in, say, New York City. Since the spectrum doesn't go through NYC sky scrapers, you can also redeploy the 2.5GHz spectrum many more times, giving your customers a TON of capacity without as much interference as, say, 700MHz.

Sprint will roll out LTE-Advanced using 800MHz SMR, PCS 1900MHz and Clearwire's 2.5GHz spectrum.

I know alot of the suits at Sprint have promised this, but without major changes, there's no way the 2.5 GHz clearwire network will ever be included in any LTE-A carrier aggregation scheme. Sprint's ESMR LTE (if it is ever approved for use) and PCS LTE will use the same eNodeB gateways, IP subnets, and routing. Clearwire's LTE will use their gateways, a different IP subnet and network routing. Unless Sprint buys Clearwire and unifies their IP network with Sprint's, you'll never be able to use aggregated links on two SEPARATE IP networks-- how would the data ever get to your phone? You'd have to have a separate IP stack (with different IP addresses and subnet masks) and do aggregation of some kind in software in the phone, which would mean that separate IP sockets would have to be established in each network-- it wouldn't work. LTE-A aggregation would work with PCS and ESMR (if it ever happens).

I know alot of the suits at Sprint have promised this, but without major changes, there's no way the 2.5 GHz clearwire network will ever be included in any LTE-A carrier aggregation scheme. Sprint's ESMR LTE (if it is ever approved for use) and PCS LTE will use the same eNodeB gateways, IP subnets, and routing. Clearwire's LTE will use their gateways, a different IP subnet and network routing. Unless Sprint buys Clearwire and unifies their IP network with Sprint's, you'll never be able to use aggregated links on two SEPARATE IP networks-- how would the data ever get to your phone? You'd have to have a separate IP stack (with different IP addresses and subnet masks) and do aggregation of some kind in software in the phone, which would mean that separate IP sockets would have to be established in each network-- it wouldn't work. LTE-A aggregation would work with PCS and ESMR (if it ever happens).

I'm still a lil behind on the exact specific's of LTE-Advanced but what i gather is it allows operators to use parts of spectrum that are not next to each other to deliver service, while also allowing to cram more bits into each hertz of spectrum, so it helps with capacity in a sense. I think I read something about how it also improves on handoffs b/w networks...

why would we care much about aggregating with clears 2.5GHz LTE? If handoffs are seamless and improved then would Clear being its own IP network still be much of an issue?

I'm still a lil behind on the exact specific's of LTE-Advanced but what i gather is it allows operators to use parts of spectrum that are not next to each other to deliver service, while also allowing to cram more bits into each hertz of spectrum, so it helps with capacity in a sense. I think I read something about how it also improves on handoffs b/w networks...

why would we care much about aggregating with clears 2.5GHz LTE? If handoffs are seamless and improved then would Clear being its own IP network still be much of an issue?

You have to understand how the internet and IP networks work. When your phone is on the internet through WiFi, for example, it is assigned an IP address through your router-- that tells the network packets from the internet how to find you basically. When you switch over to 3G or 4G, your phone's IP address changes because the internet has to use a different route to find you (a different gateway and subnet). All LTE-A carrier aggregation does is combine numerous frequencies between your phone and the tower, but the internet's link to the tower controller must be the same route / path (subnet). If you try to aggregate a carrier channel from a different subnet or gateway, your phone would have to have two separate IP addresses to function since the address is a member of a subnet. If you aggregate Sprint's two frequencies, they all connect to the same internet gateway so there is no issue-- your phone has a single IP address and multiple air links to the tower for faster speeds. You CANNOT link to another gateway without changing IP addresses because your gateway (path to the actual internet) has changed... at that point, you can use one gateway OR the other, never BOTH. Since Clear's network is totally separate, the subnet, gateway, etc. are all different-- the link from the tower to the internet is different-- even if Clear shared the tower with Sprint, its base station is on a different subnet.

You have to understand how the internet and IP networks work. When your phone is on the internet through WiFi, for example, it is assigned an IP address through your router-- that tells the network packets from the internet how to find you basically. When you switch over to 3G or 4G, your phone's IP address changes because the internet has to use a different route to find you (a different gateway and subnet). All LTE-A carrier aggregation does is combine numerous frequencies between your phone and the tower, but the internet's link to the tower controller must be the same route / path (subnet). If you try to aggregate a carrier channel from a different subnet or gateway, your phone would have to have two separate IP addresses to function since the address is a member of a subnet. If you aggregate Sprint's two frequencies, they all connect to the same internet gateway so there is no issue-- your phone has a single IP address and multiple air links to the tower for faster speeds. You CANNOT link to another gateway without changing IP addresses because your gateway (path to the actual internet) has changed... at that point, you can use one gateway OR the other, never BOTH. Since Clear's network is totally separate, the subnet, gateway, etc. are all different-- the link from the tower to the internet is different-- even if Clear shared the tower with Sprint, its base station is on a different subnet.

Oh I understand how that part functions and IP networks work. I just don't understand why we would entertain the idea of aggregating clear and sprints spectrum...

If handoffs have been made seamless between networks then what's the point?...

I always assume that if downloading something on Wimax and you leave the area covered you have to restart the download because of the diff tech and IP networks...I originally assumed that this would be the case with handoffs from clears LTE as well also Lightsquareds set up too if they got approval...

But now that I said that it seems that will be the case still and LTE-A is no special tech on handoffs...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk