Reality Check: Can Sprint restore its luster?

mhammett

According to the map the voice coverage becomes roaming hut the data coverage remains native Sprint. It'll be much like Verizon. Verizon roams in terms of voice, buy they retain native LTE service.

That sucks, but honestly it doesn't look like they lose much in the way of 'native' coverage.

That map of Alaska in the lower right has to be wrong. Why would Sprint retain pseudo-native data coverage, but not voice? If anything, I'd think it would be the opposite. The "Sprint data coverage" areas after October 1 are marked with a lighter shade of purple than either the legend or the before map, which indicates to me that that is an error.

Both "After" maps appear to have errors.

The legend of the "After" voice coverage map says data rather than voice.

If you look closely at the "After" map for data the purple appears slightly lighter than in the "Before" map.  On coverage.sprint.com the slightly lighter purple indicates 3g roaming (check out northwestern Kansas using coverage.sprint.com's "Filter by 3g and more link" as an example).  So I think the "After" map legend should say 3g roaming instead of Sprint 3g.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

We can talk all we want about sprint making their network footprint larger, but at the end of the day this isn't a realistic possibility. Verizon bought large chunks of their network and those opportunities don't exist now. The overwhelming majority of cell phone subscribers don't need coverage in Podunk little towns. They need the best voice coverage and the fastest data speeds where normal people travel. I'm talking about cities and towns of more than 2k people and along major highways. That's it, and I think Sprint can do that. It's spectrum is so unique in the US market and network vision should be the piece that gets them there.

IN my area i have my town at 5k and frederick, md a town of over 40k that doesn't have decent voice or data coverage at all..:)  This is not some highly rural area.  I've been talking with the county folks so far I've not been successful in figuring out the delays here.

I think it has been said many time before. Sprint needs to strengthen and thicken their network. I don't see them doing that unless they are also willing to built new sites in areas they have not had service at all or in areas of cities that have had new suburbs spring up in the last 10 years or suburbs that have expanded. That means that they might have to have coverage in "uneconomical" places.

This is being discussed in many other areas. No need to continue a separate conversation here.