Why didn't Sprint jump for "5G"?

ajr0203

True, and you know that whilst you may have a 5gbps mobile connection a certain two providers will still be selling 4gb a month of data for $70 ;)

Ya know that's another thing that surprises me. As data speeds get faster it seems that some companies allow less and less data. Well, I suppose you can get as much data as you want on your plan for a pretty penny. Anyways, Its shocking that people aren't realizing how much faster they're burning through their data with 4G. If they are realizing it, they don't seem to be making much of a fuss about it. I figured after some time that companies would have to start allowing more data traffic or they would start losing customers. This is especially true for those wit AT&T. Sure you have the fastest network, but aren't you burning through your data allowance that much faster? Not that I have any data based upon which carriers has how many subscribers, but it'd be interesting to see how many people start switching over to Sprint as the 4G network keeps building. It's definitely not as fast as AT&Ts but how fast do you really need  your mobile data connection? I feel as though anything over 8mb/s is plenty fast enough on my cell phone.

I believe the threshold was 100Mbps. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#IMT-Advanced_requirements

You know, these sorts of "speed requirements" never seemed very pertinent to me for this conversation. It's likely a huge waste of spectrum (hey! we could have done this years ago, let's just throw 200 MHz at something!), and doesn't offer anything more to the end user in terms of real usability, and doesn't offer anything to the carrier other than saying they met some seemingly-arbitrary standard for "TRUU FOUR GEEEEE".

My understanding (when reading back in 2008, iirc), was that the real differentiator for "4G" was the move to an all IP-based network instead of a switched one.

How about KennyG? And then my ring tone can be Songbird.

No, "G" stands for "generation," not "Gorelick."

:P

AJ

No, "G" stands for "generation," not "Gorelick."

AJ

I'm pretty sure S4GRU stands for "Scream for Gorelick Reunion in Unison"! You mean these 16,000 S4GRU members are not Kenny G fans? Well, I'll be...

Robert

• Like 1

Sure you have the fastest network, but aren't you burning through your data allowance that much faster?

That is a commonly held assumption that does not necessarily hold true -- unless users are running countless speed tests.  A 2 MB mobile app download, for example, does not consume more data on a faster connection than it does on a slower connection.

No, if users are mostly streaming media, using mobile apps, and browsing the Web, they do not really notice the difference between a 25 Mbps connection and a 5 Mbps connection.  Both connections transparently work for their needs.  Thus, they do not necessarily use more data on the faster network.

AJ

I'm pretty sure S4GRU stands for "Scream for Gorelick Reunion in Unison"! You mean these 16,000 S4GRU members are not Kenny G fans? Well, I'll be...

We have been tricked.  Since I am in essence the S4GRU Generalissimo, I will lead the forces in the coup d'état to oust Robert.

AJ

• Like 2

With streaming there is the chance you will consume more if the slower network restricted your streaming rate and the faster one allowed you to stream the same content at a higher bitrate therefore using more data.

Realistically a faster network will likely result in people in general using more data because it allows it and we seem to be pretty good at finding new and wonderful stuff to do on our phones :-) It doesn't have to mean you will use more the majority of the time, but you probably will to some degree.

I suppose I need to do some scans of Sprint, VZW, and Cingular coverage brochures, circa 2000-2003, that I have archived somewhere.  Sprint native footprint is nearly the same now as it was then.  But VZW and Cingular (AT&T) have used their monopoly money to buy up everything else in site -- pun intended.  Many of you youngsters lack the age and experience to be aware of that.

AJ

I still had the old Bell Atlantic Mobile brochures floating around, from 1999!

Simple, I dont have 4 billion dollars, you folks don't get 5G.

I don't need any of that $ for myself.

In all honesty, 5th generation back haul is not really in place. 5th generation backhaul does exist, but won't be mature until 2020ish. Then for consumer side the spectrum is lacking, there will not be 100mhz wide channels, likely aggregates of 20mhz, which is still in testing.

I would be happy with 3G speeds at this point, since most of my immediate area hasn't even started work. Its creeping in, but not fast enough! I would be content with 3G speeds for most tasks, 4G just sweetens it for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

By that time, Robert may be relegated to gumming his fried chicken instead of chewing it.

Robert... He... He's not immortal? He... He ages? I... I... I just assumed... You know...

Wow, this is a lot to take in, give me a few minutes to process this.

• Like 9

Since the 4g term seems to be used liberally by carriers saying something is 4g when it is more like a transitional technology, and from what I understand, until LTE advance is standard, we aren't truly 4g, I imagine it won't be long before we start seeing 5g being thrown around.

• Like 1

Upon further reflection about the thread title, maybe Sprint did jump *for* "5G."  Sprint might even have clapped *for* "5G."  But the real question seems to be -- why didn't Sprint jump *to* "5G"?

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Upon further reflection about the thread title, maybe Sprint did jump *for* "5G."  Sprint might even have clapped *for* "5G."  But the real question seems to be -- why didn't Sprint jump *to* "5G"?

;)

AJ

Soooooooooooon 

Soooooooooooon 

Is that supposed to mean "Soooooooooooon" or Masayoshi "Sonnnnnnnnnnnn"?!

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Would have been interesting if they called LTE-A 5G

No, I am fairly certain that I left my car at the airport in LTP-A 4E.

AJ