Why didn't Sprint jump for "5G"?

ajr0203

Josh, I'll have to hurry, and i don't think the antenna's are aligned for 3 mile use.  I can double check some docs but i'm pretty sure the overlap zone on the next site is just 1 1/2 miles south.  Either way I'll drive till I fall off the network, then I'll turn back. 

Also if i have time to make it I'll try to grab a pic of the crew we have out today for the 2nd site,  And here soon I'll be able to do more real life testing ( in & out of buildings )

That's ok. If you don't have it set for 3 miles, that's ok. I have a Fire Station communications tower less than 2 miles from me that fixed wireless services are co-located on for internet service. It'll be good enough for me. Now, if it's cheap enough, I could use the speeds that you have on your speedtest, but I don't and probably will never need an upload speed that high. Wow. I suppose you will be using a equal ratio of upload/download, or is this more for testing purposes right now?

That's ok. If you don't have it set for 3 miles, that's ok. I have a Fire Station communications tower less than 2 miles from me that fixed wireless services are co-located on for internet service. It'll be good enough for me. Now, if it's cheap enough, I could use the speeds that you have on your speedtest, but I don't and probably will never need an upload speed that high. Wow. I suppose you will be using a equal ratio of upload/download, or is this more for testing purposes right now?

TDD 50/50 is only going to be changed if it becomes a problem.

Edit, I take that back. It will be changed when I test MSSTDMA on a large[r] scale.

My name is William..not as bad as Herman. 

Though this is for the mobile side of the network, I have been out testing a set-up since around 5 and just finished up before dusk.  I am running 10Mhz TDD channels today, shot taken was at about 1/3 mile from the site (10 story building) I believe GPS thinks the height is 113 feet.  My device on the receiving end is a home-made Mikrotik setup with a 2200 mah battery.  This is not "5G" speeds, but it is quite good for mobile; and will make for an affordable consumer hotspot service. 

8zpatf.jpg

If i can dig it up, ill post the fully maxed out 10MHz sector.

You win simply by running Ubuntu! I dual boot Ubuntu. I am teaching myself how to operate in bash, Python, and emacs with Ubuntu. I like it a lot. It runs really smooth even on my laptop from 2003.

• Like 1

You win simply by running Ubuntu! I dual boot Ubuntu. I am teaching myself how to operate in bash, Python, and emacs with Ubuntu. I like it a lot. It runs really smooth even on my laptop from 2003.

My Dad was an OG Unix programmer so I grew up along side, its only been in the last year or so I took to Linux full time for my PC. Like you I always did a dual boot.

• Like 1

TDD 50/50 is only going to be changed if it becomes a problem.

Edit, I take that back. It will be changed when I test MSSTDMA on a large[r] scale.

After I managed to close my jaw after seeing that sub-10ms ping, I had to open it again when I saw the upload. That's about twice as fast as the highest speed Comcast will provision over DOCSIS (105/20), and better than half of what FiOS's six tiers provide, never mind DSL. It's certainly faster than anything I've seen so far from Sprint's new TDD 2600. You may not be able to maintain perfect symmetry, but if you can keep it over, say, 30 Mbps, then I think the upload alone will leave you with a very competitive and unique offering. Although of course I expect the cap will understandably be a bit more strict that the soft cap (~10TB) FiOS seems to be using. :P

• Like 1

After I managed to close my jaw after seeing that sub-10ms ping, I had to open it again when I saw the upload. That's about twice as fast as the highest speed Comcast will provision over DOCSIS (105/20), and better than half of what FiOS's six tiers provide, never mind DSL. It's certainly faster than anything I've seen so far from Sprint's new TDD 2600. You may not be able to maintain perfect symmetry, but if you can keep it over, say, 30 Mbps, then I think the upload alone will leave you with a very competitive and unique offering. Although of course I expect the cap will understandably be a bit more strict that the soft cap (~10TB) FiOS seems to be using. :P

The goal to maintain symmetry over TDMA will extend until i make a transition to [MSS]TDMA; which i probably won't get started on anytime in the next year.  Maintaing symmetry will become very important when multiple (hundreds & thousands) of users begin piling up in the time que as they move in and out of cell sites. 

The blue antennas are the first of 2 sets of antennas we will have on this building. I should have grabbed a picture before they were painted. 

Walk1825_zpseb4722f1.jpg

So looking at this on my phone, I thought you had some funky blue triangle on the building that was the antenna...

• Like 2

No. Its higher than SMR.

Follow up, looking at the FCC Spectrum chart, you've got to be using something in the 902Mhz - 928Mhz Amateur block.  There is nothing else that would allow a 10Mhz or greater continuous block for a 10 - 20Mhz TDD carrier.

• Like 1

So looking at this on my phone, I thought you had some funky blue triangle on the building that was the antenna...

Haha! The internet of blue triangles.

29gbi9u.jpg

Little Non climate controlled Nema cabinet

t4tudl.jpg

Josh, I got about 2 driving miles out from the "serving cell" before falling off, i was able to reconnect fairly quickly and it appears alignment is nearly spot on as it wouldn't ping a server until I was pulled away on a side street behind a church, which decimated any shot i had of clearing the Fresnel.  I later mapped the distance at about 1.8 miles in a straight line. 

This was from my laptop & If i find the screenshot from my phone I'll edit back and add those as well. 

I have noticed with my GS3 that for whatever reason it will not negotiate past 25mbps on the 2.4 card in the Mikrotik, however upload will sometimes exceed 50; my laptop does not have this limitation  :)

2yvqhvq.png

n2mxa8.png

• Like 1

So what is the point of this thread again?  I thought it was explained why there is no such thing as 5G at this point.

To talk about 5G, or the lack thereof.

We do have a candidate for 5th generation back haul, but still limited in the availability of spectrum for consumer access. 60MHz will still make for a zippy network no doubt, but there are no devices for it..yet  ;)

60Mhz in TDD flavor at MCS 23 would give you an actual real throughput of 293.04 mbps with a 29% path loss.  Then comes in [MSS]TDMA and you start aggregating spatial streams & now we have some wicked fast wireless. 

-Will-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since the 4g term seems to be used liberally by carriers saying something is 4g when it is more like a transitional technology, and from what I understand, until LTE advance is standard, we aren't truly 4g, I imagine it won't be long before we start seeing 5g being thrown around.

Sprint will use some strange technology reminiscent of WiMAX, and T-mobile will just upgrade their HSPA+ network to some ridiculous high speed, and say the speeds are up to par with 5G.

-Luis 

• Like 1