Will my LTE get better?

according to sprint network site at my work location in 5935 Labath, Ave Rohnert Park, ca there are two towers "near" me about 1-2 miles away. My voice is connected to a 1x800 site like 10 miles away but i appear to be equidistance from the 3g/lte towers. These are the only close towers to me an I guess I am sol if these only throw a signal about a 1 mile away. If these LTE sites were still a work in progress is it plausible that the signal would travel further when the sites NV upgrade is done?

according to sprint network site at my work location in 5935 Labath, Ave Rohnert Park, ca there are two towers "near" me about 1-2 miles away. My voice is connected to a 1x800 site like 10 miles away but i appear to be equidistance from the 3g/lte towers. These are the only close towers to me an I guess I am sol if these only throw a signal about a 1 mile away. If these LTE sites were still a work in progress is it plausible that the signal would travel further when the sites NV upgrade is done?

There are two sites in the area that still haven't been upgraded to LTE. Depending on the exact population density, and the way Sprint set up the sites, the closer site may not be the one that covers you. It may seem counter intuitive, but that's just how things work out when they are trying to get the most capacity out of the sites they have.

is there a website i can visit myself to see what towers have been upgrade vs not upgraded yet?

You're on 'that website' already. Donate a few bucks to keep the site running and you'll get access to everything you'll ever need or want to track Sprints network vision upgrades.

please excuse my ignorance here but donating is fine, this is valuable information for me but i do not see any section on this site that would have that kind of tower info, is there paywall sections i cannot see yet? i would be extremely happy to be able to see what towers in my area have and have not been upgrade.

only 4g site accepted or only 4g site period we've had them come online before being technically accepted before

pretty sure it is a one and only thing at this time... My mapping on Sensorly centers it pretty well on the expected site in both cases...

please excuse my ignorance here but donating is fine, this is valuable information for me but i do not see any section on this site that would have that kind of tower info, is there paywall sections i cannot see yet? i would be extremely happy to be able to see what towers in my area have and have not been upgrade.

Yes, it's in the sponsors section if you look at the main page of the forums. It won't let you into that part of the forum until you are a sponsor. Inside are maps that show you every Sprint site in the country as well as which ones have been upgraded to NV thus far.

Sent from my HTC ONE

You're on 'that website' already. Donate a few bucks to keep the site running and you'll get access to everything you'll ever need or want to track Sprints network vision upgrades.

No you won't get everything you'll ever need.  You'll become addicted and then have to donate more to access the premier sponsor section!

• Like 1

with the standard sponsor section can you access the tower/site locations and how far along they are with their updates or is that the super premier sponsor section

You get access to everything you need (unless you're obsessed :P ) in the Sponsor section. Don't worry :)

damn looking at the network sites complete map makes me sad at how little towers there are in my area, and i am pretty sure some of the non 4G sites are starting to go live or being tested. Also non of them are listed as 1x800 but most of them that I connect to are...according to signal check pro that is.

this is basically what my LTE signal looks like when I actually have it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slfj5hgtui3qbzs/Screenshot_2013-08-24-09-32-04.png

That is an unusable LTE signal.  You are likely connecting to a site that is farther away than your closest site.

AJ

it sucks that signalcheck pro tells you which voice site you are connected to but not with LTE

That is not a SignalCheck limitation.  That is an LTE signaling limitation.  LTE sites do not broadcast latitude/longitude.

AJ

• Like 1

That is an unusable LTE signal.  You are likely connecting to a site that is farther away than your closest site.

AJ

Fortunately my S4 has never held on to LTE that long. The lowest I've seen is -120, but it usually drops to Ev-DO by -116 dBm. IMO there should be a firm cut-off at -115 dBm, much like 1xRTT always switches (in my experience) to 1x 800 at -105 dBm, for the few times I find myself parked on PCS and both signals are available in the area.

It makes Sprint look bad if they have 4+ bars (which most people think represent all types of signals) but their new LTE data is slow or times out like legacy 3G. Perhaps once LTE 800 is rolled out devices will be less stubborn about holding on to LTE 1900.

it sucks that signalcheck pro tells you which voice site you are connected to but not with LTE

What we need is a master list from Sprint of all the LTE Serving Cells and to which site and/or sector they belong. Then that information could be turned over to Mike so he can incorporate it into his app. However, as far as I know it's only on HTC phones that the serving cell number has been able to be retrieved and displayed by the app, and I wonder if such a list even exists.

• Like 1

looking at the N sites Complete interactive map for my area, Petaluma, CA and Rohnert Park, Ca is there a way to know if these sites are completed? when i click on the little red and yellow buttons it doesn't say anything about being completed? just wanting to know if my area will improve or if this is it.

looking at the N sites Complete interactive map for my area, Petaluma, CA and Rohnert Park, Ca is there a way to know if these sites are completed? when i click on the little red and yellow buttons it doesn't say anything about being completed? just wanting to know if my area will improve or if this is it.

The map lists acceptances, as the legend states, red is 3G accepted and yellow is 3G/4G accepted.

The signature of the post I'm linking to gives some detail on what 3G & 4G accepted means. 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/636-network-vision-site-map-nebraskaiowa-markets/?p=191708

Including " So basically, 3G acceptances are more an acknowledgment from Sprint that the physical upgradework is complete at the site, not that 3G is live."

Fortunately my S4 has never held on to LTE that long. The lowest I've seen is -120, but it usually drops to Ev-DO by -116 dBm. IMO there should be a firm cut-off at -115 dBm, much like 1xRTT always switches (in my experience) to 1x 800 at -105 dBm, for the few times I find myself parked on PCS and both signals are available in the area.

It makes Sprint look bad if they have 4+ bars (which most people think represent all types of signals) but their new LTE data is slow or times out like legacy 3G. Perhaps once LTE 800 is rolled out devices will be less stubborn about holding on to LTE 1900.

What we need is a master list from Sprint of all the LTE Serving Cells and to which site and/or sector they belong. Then that information could be turned over to Mike so he can incorporate it into his app. However, as far as I know it's only on HTC phones that the serving cell number has been able to be retrieved and displayed by the app, and I wonder if such a list even exists.

My S3; after a modem update/flash will hold on far too long Screenshot_2013-06-01-23-35-46_zps284670

I imagine as more bands are available the devices will be less likely to cling to fringe signals for so long.  I believe the signal bars are just an attempt from the marketing dept.  If they lower the signal strength to represented bar ratio; folks (particularly the ones that hound Facebook) will conclude that NV has decreased there connection strength. 

AJ, I'm sorry.  I should have used the Engineering screens  :wall: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as the op. I recently got LTE on my home tower beginning of July & since then I have absolutely atrocious service since. Sprint doesn't do anything to fix it and we are going on 2 months. Over the last week it seems to be getting a little better but it still isn't like it was before for voice. They have 800 on now with -90 dBm or better average but LTE constantly cuts in & out. I'm less than one mile from the tower. 4G isn't done in my market yet but they are making progress but thus far it's absolutely worthless. It's almost as bad as wimax was at least thus far. I have never had voice/reception issues in 10 years up until now. I have always been loyal to Sprint but the longer this goes on the harder it is. If I can't pick up LTE less than a mile away from the tower, what good is it? I have wi-fi at home but when your out and about it would be nice to have a reliable data experience. If I wasn't on such a good plan I would be gone. Anyone shopping around sprint would be my last pick right now. I have great wi-fi at work & home so the awful network doesn't affect me as much as others but I'm starting to get really sick of it, so tired of waiting for good data.

Once they have more towers up, the network should be more consistent. My 3G used to be garbage but as more and more towers got upgraded, it got a lot better. At least you have good wifi both at home and at work.

How long does it take for them to finalize LTE once the LTE has been switched on a tower?  For instance.  I work near the Metrodome in Minneapolis.  LTE has been available for several months when I am walking around outside but the speeds are much worse than 3G, around 300kbps down or so.  I thought this was due to LTE being on but backhaul not being complete but I am really not sure a this point since it has been going on for so long.

How long does it take for them to finalize LTE once the LTE has been switched on a tower?  For instance.  I work near the Metrodome in Minneapolis.  LTE has been available for several months when I am walking around outside but the speeds are much worse than 3G, around 300kbps down or so.  I thought this was due to LTE being on but backhaul not being complete but I am really not sure a this point since it has been going on for so long.

LTE speed is signal strength dependant, with not knowing your signal strength your speeds mean little.

Also, the four sites closet to the dome aren’t LTE accepted yet, which will help when they go live.

I've got 2 towers within 4 miles that are both LTE/3G accepted, and my service at home is crap. All flat land with houses. If I walk about 50 yards away from my front door, I can even see one of the towers.

Upstairs I get a flaky LTE signal of -109 to -117 dBm with RSRQ around -15 dBm and great 1x signal. Downstairs it's all flaky and no LTE. Same goes for out in the front yard. Yesterday I walked 50 yards in the opposite direction than mentioned above and had a big fat X on my signal indicator.

NV doesn't seem to be going too well in my part of the DFW market.