S4GRU member Yahoo College Football Pick'em group

PythonFanPA

Anyone else get an email about not having your picks set even though they already were?
I got the email. But mine was just a reminder. It didn't say that in didn't do the picks. It said:

Hello,If you have not yet made selections for this week's games, you must enter your picksbefore your group's selection deadline passes or you will not receive any points.If you would like more info on this week's games, check out the Yahoo! Sports coverage at http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf.
Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I got the email. But mine was just a reminder. It didn't say that in didn't do the picks. It said:

Yeah that's what mine said too, I just didn't see the if part so I thought maybe I had to re-pick.

A bit over 4 hours from the time of this posting left to join up and get your picks in folks.  And for those already playing, make sure you've assigned confidence points on the right sidebar in addition to making your picks.  The winner at the end of the season is the one with the highest point total overall.  :tu:

• Like 1

A bit over 4 hours from the time of this posting left to join up and get your picks in folks. And for those already playing, make sure you've assigned confidence points on the right sidebar in addition to making your picks. The winner at the end of the season is the one with the highest point total overall. :tu:

Everyone should join. You get a chance to beat me every week!!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Was looking over the results so far and wanted to point out something just in case there's any confusion for someone who hasn't played Yahoo's pick'em system with confidence points before:   The way confidence points works is, in addition to making your picks each week, you have a dropdown box to the right of each game where you assign the points as well.  Most everyone did that though there was one person who missed it---I PM'ed him to give him a heads up for future reference.  

But additionally, the numbers correspond to confidence in terms of higher numbers for higher confidence and lower numbers for lower confidence.  In other words, assigning a 1 to a game for example doesn't mean that's your most confident pick, but rather the opposite.  Your most confident pick should be getting the highest number on the dropdown, your least confident pick should be getting 1, etc.  It looked like there might be a few who interpreted the way that works backwards, so just wanted to underscore it.

As mentioned before though, everyone's worst 2 weeks are thrown out in the overall rankings, so it gives everyone a bit of 'grace' there, particularly for instances where you accidently forget to get your picks in or to assign points or something.  But one last thing I wanted to point out that people may not be aware of is that you can go back in and make changes for every game that hasn't started yet up to 5 minutes before scheduled kickoff.  In other words, you're not totally locked in once the first game on a week's game slate has started, you can still adjust on a game-by-game basis if you want.

Was looking over the results so far and wanted to point out something just in case there's any confusion for someone who hasn't played Yahoo's pick'em system with confidence points before: The way confidence points works is, in addition to making your picks each week, you have a dropdown box to the right of each game where you assign the points as well. Most everyone did that though there was one person who missed it---I PM'ed him to give him a heads up for future reference.

But additionally, the numbers correspond to confidence in terms of higher numbers for higher confidence and lower numbers for lower confidence. In other words, assigning a 1 to a game for example doesn't mean that's your most confident pick, but rather the opposite. Your most confident pick should be getting the highest number on the dropdown, your least confident pick should be getting 1, etc. It looked like there might be a few who interpreted the way that works backwards, so just wanted to underscore it.

As mentioned before though, everyone's worst 2 weeks are thrown out in the overall rankings, so it gives everyone a bit of 'grace' there, particularly for instances where you accidently forget to get your picks in or to assign points or something. But one last thing I wanted to point out that people may not be aware of is that you can go back in and make changes for every game that hasn't started yet up to 5 minutes before scheduled kickoff. In other words, you're not totally locked in once the first game on a week's game slate has started, you can still adjust on a game-by-game basis if you want.

Me and my wife did do the confidence points backwards. Oh well. How do the confidence points work? Do they result in bonus points if your more confident selections win?

Me and my wife did do the confidence points backwards. Oh well. How do the confidence points work? Do they result in bonus points if your more confident selections win?

Confidence points are what give this way of playing its complexity and is ultimately how the winner wins.  The reason I don't care for having a pick'em group setup against the spread (particularly in this environment and particularly on the college level especially---NFL I probably wouldn't feel as strongly about it) is that not everyone is savvy (or has the same level of understanding even if they have some measure of it) to the world of betting on games.   In this group's setup, the person with the highest overall point total from confidence points is who wins, not the person with just the straight up highest number of winning picks.  So that's where the strategy comes in.  

As far as bonus points, nothing like that no.   Lets take for example the Georgia/Clemson game today, which even though most are picking Georgia and the Vegas oddsmakers have them favored, its easily one of the toughest picks for most this week.  If you're playing it safer, no matter what your pick is for that game, you're going to assign it one of the lower numbers. However, if you're bold, feel pretty confident in your choice and wanted to pick a higher number (and your pick wins), depending on the outcome of your other picks it can potentially be a boon to you if you roll the dice like that, especially if others lose out on their pick for that game---even if they spent very few confidence points on it.  

A situation like that kind of creates a trickle-down effect because if you win, and you've gained at least one more game you've assigned lesser points to and lose out on one of those, it can help you there.  If everyone lost out on that same other game and you had less points assigned to it because you assigned more points on Georgia/Clemson, you gain there too.  As wild as college football can be with upsets, you just never know, but it adds more to the experience of competing with your groupmates.  :tu:

Me and my wife did do the confidence points backwards. Oh well.

Maybe doing "the opposite" will work out well for you...

AJ

But additionally, the numbers correspond to confidence in terms of higher numbers for higher confidence and lower numbers for lower confidence.  In other words, assigning a 1 to a game for example doesn't mean that's your most confident pick, but rather the opposite.  Your most confident pick should be getting the highest number on the dropdown, your least confident pick should be getting 1, etc.  It looked like there might be a few who interpreted the way that works backwards, so just wanted to underscore it.

I should add, I probably should have explained this better upfront when I created the group in the first place, so I completely apologize for the lack of that folks. But as stated before, everyone's 2 worst weeks are thrown out overall, so any inconvenience this week is certainly recoverable from.  Also, in my experience Week 1 can often be one of the worst weeks anyway because especially in college things can change so much from year to year and its harder to make picks in the first place until you start seeing certain tendencies in a team's play. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give another reminder since it looks like about 5 people forgot to get their picks in before tonight's Boise State/Air Force game...its just one game though so you can just not use the #1 and assign 2-whatever the top number is for the other game picks and not be hurt really.

• Like 1

Wanted to give another reminder since it looks like about 5 people forgot to get their picks in before tonight's Boise State/Air Force game...its just one game though so you can just not use the #1 and assign 2-whatever the top number is for the other game picks and not be hurt really.

I'm glad to be moving up the rankings now that I know how to use confidence points correctly. :tu:

Reminder for this week's picks....per the slate of games for Week 4 you have until 8:55pm EDT/5:55pm PDT to get your picks in to cover the entire slate.  

And yes, while Robert is moving up in the rankings, his better half is as well and is one slot ahead of him currently.  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Late reminder for those playing, you've got roughly 2 hours 20 minutes from the time of this posting to get your picks in for the week without missing out on the Friday night game.  

In other news, Robert moved from one slot behind to 2 slots in front of his wife....lets hope this friendly competition doesn't get ugly down the stretch in the head S4GRU household.  ;)

Weekly reminder, anyone playing has an hour and 40 minutes from the time of this posting to get your picks in for the first game of Week 6.

I'm so mad at myself. I missed it this week. Distracted with the massive snow storm here. YEEARGH!!!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm so mad at myself. I missed it this week. Distracted with the massive snow storm here. YEEARGH!!!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

You're still ahead of me though, at least in terms of points.

I just wanted to state for the record given I'm in the lead in this thing (and by no means do I remotely expect I still will be at the end---still ALOT of football yet to be played)....if by some stroke of miracle I did end up technically winning, I would still donate $50 to S4GRU in the name of whoever the highest ranked non-premier level sponsor in the rankings for my part.  So those of you playing who aren't yet premier members, definitely keep up with this weekly regardless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, I was just coming to post that this is the worst week of pick results I think I've ever had in my entire life of playing pick'em groups.  4 SEC upsets especially of the magnitude that happened, and the possibility of a 5th the way Ole Miss is hanging in with LSU, is just mind-blowing.

Man, those top SEC teams besides Alabama are really good.

AJ