Calvin200

Sure thing max

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 2

So then the next cdma iphone will have band 12 right? And all androids from here on? And all hotspots? I meant at LEAST hotspots. Oh wait they don't. Edited by tuwsy

So then the next cdma iphone will have band 12 right? And all androids from here on? And all hotspots? I meant at LEAST hotspots. Oh wait they don't.

T-Mobile has more motivation than Sprint to incorporate Band 12 into its device requirements, because it actually owns a license. That said, I doubt it's really a huge motivation just yet, since it is only one license (that T-Mobile is mandated to build out this year, but T-Mobile will likely get an extension).

T-Mobile has more motivation than Sprint to incorporate Band 12 into its device requirements, because it actually owns a license. That said, I doubt it's really a huge motivation just yet, since it is only one license (that T-Mobile is mandated to build out this year, but T-Mobile will likely get an extension).

Why would it build it out? It won't work on any phones until ch 51 is moved, right?

I think it'll sell it, rock bottom, rather than build it out to have nothing run on it.

TMO'd probably prefer losing it to FCC than being forced to build it out.

Do you think sprint will tell apple to include band 12?

Why would it build it out? It won't work on any phones until ch 51 is moved, right?

I think it'll sell it, rock bottom, rather than build it out to have nothing run on it.

TMO'd probably prefer losing it to FCC than being forced to build it out.

Do you think sprint will tell apple to include band 12?

Uhh, because it has to?

The FCC could decide to review all licenses if it failed to build out on just one. That would be bad for any operator, as the "protection deployments" (or lack thereof) would likely not suffice under the current administration. Why do you think Clearwire and Sprint rushed to deploy WiMAX on BRS+EBS? No one wants to deal with that possibility.

Uhh, because it has to?

The FCC could decide to review all licenses if it failed to build out on just one. That would be bad for any operator, as the "protection deployments" (or lack thereof) would likely not suffice under the current administration. Why do you think Clearwire and Sprint rushed to deploy WiMAX on BRS+EBS? No one wants to deal with that possibility.

Can't it donate that one license back to FCC?

They've sold to VoiceStream before. Aerial Communications was the TDS' primary GSM venue (notwithstanding USCC Maine GSM). They could sell US Cellular to T-Mobile or Sprint. I suspect that a sale of US Cellular would be piecemeal. For example, the 700/850/AWS network would probably go to T-Mobile, while the 1900 network would go to Sprint (with maybe some swaps or whatever with T-Mobile for better contiguity and PCS block sanity).

Unless they could get the PCS for cheap I don't see Sprint spending the money to get scraps while T-Mobile walks away with the real prize (band 5). Especially when Sprint's network is already basically setup for it while T-Mobile would have to go back and add it on.

• Like 2

Unless they could get the PCS for cheap I don't see Sprint spending the money to get scraps while T-Mobile walks away with the real prize (band 5). Especially when Sprint's network is already basically setup for it while T-Mobile would have to go back and add it on.

It's not just spectrum but 5mil customers. More scale.
  • Like 1

Customers weren't mentioned at all and would only only make a piecemeal more tricky.

Sprint is not interested in AWS but they're definitely interested in customers, 700Mhz A block because of all the rural roaming. One thing that the upcoming 600 MHz auction will do is to remove the exclusion zones of Channel 51 threby making A Block usable. Sprint wants to have Block A as a roaming fallback in case they don't win enough or any of 600Mhz.If they can by some Block A on the way, then that's great. Son wants scale. He's not going to get it by attacking Verizon and AT&T. He will get it by mergers.

Sprint is not interested in AWS but they're definitely interested in customers, 700Mhz A block because of all the rural roaming. One thing that the upcoming 600 MHz auction will do is to remove the exclusion zones of Channel 51 threby making A Block usable. Sprint wants to have Block A as a roaming fallback in case they don't win enough or any of 600Mhz.If they can by some Block A on the way, then that's great. Son wants scale. He's not going to get it by attacking Verizon and AT&T. He will get it by mergers.

I know that Sprint would sell any AWS it gets but as for the A block, I'm not sure what they would do with it. As far as the sale of USCC goes, like I said in this thread before, until they are signs that there is going to be a sale, it's just a silly rumor.

• Like 5

I know that Sprint would sell any AWS it gets but as for the A block, I'm not sure what they would do with it. As far as the sale of USCC goes, like I said in this thread before, until they are signs that there is going to be a sale, it's just a silly rumor.

What signs?

Once this is public, I could see Verizon, ATT offering $$$ for pieces of USM to screw with sprint. If they're smart, they'd let TMO scavenge to make FCC/DOJ happy.

THERE ARE NO SIGNS OR SOURCES. But this is how rumors get started, so for the sake of sprint, lets not feed this. The fact that sprint is now well funded puts all of its competitors on the defensive

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

They have?! When did that happen?! Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 2Sent from my One using Tapatalk 2
No they haven't. That video says they're gonna support LTE roaming handoff between the bands, not that sprint will put band 12 on its phones.If sprint is really gonna do this, why do the a block holders keep screaming about device incompatibility?And why don't sprint phones have b12 today so it can be turned on later? Edited by tuwsy
  • Like 2

No they haven't. That video says they're gonna support LTE roaming handoff between the bands, not that sprint will put band 12 on its phones. If sprint is really gonna do this, why do the a block holders keep screaming about device incompatibility? And why don't sprint phones have b12 today so it can be turned on later?

After watching the video this is also my viewpoint. I didn't hear anything mentioning adding band 12 to Sprint phones. Also if they were going this route, I don't think we would have upcoming triband phones, but quadband ones.

After watching the video this is also my viewpoint. I didn't hear anything mentioning adding band 12 to Sprint phones. Also if they were going this route, I don't think we would have upcoming triband phones, but quadband ones.

He doesn't specifically say band 12 but he does talk about roaming on 700 MHz and you need band 12 to do that. 

He doesn't specifically say band 12 but he does talk about roaming on 700 MHz and you need band 12 to do that.

Roaming of rural carriers onto sprint's network enabled by rural carriers including bands 25, 26 on their phones.
  • Like 1

Roaming of rural carriers onto sprint's network enabled by rural carriers including bands 25, 26 on their phones.

But he talks about roaming being about the customers and what about Sprint customers roaming on rural carriers? You need band 12 and unless they use some other bands, you can't get around that.

But he talks about roaming being about the customers and what about Sprint customers roaming on rural carriers? You need band 12 and unless they use some other bands, you can't get around that.

My opinion is that this more about making money from rural carriers than about sprint customers having more LTE coverage. What fraction of sprint customers roam (once nv is done)? Is it worth putting band 12 on ALL sprint phones for that small fraction?

Why don't the rurals just build out LTE band 26? They'd instantly have voice and LTE coverage and roaming onto sprint and they wouldn't have to worry about getting band 12 devices.

Qualcomm's transceivers are very specific in number/type of bands they can handle. Forgot which one but one of them can do:

(Example config for CDMA carriers)

3x low band: 26, 13, 5

(sprint, VZW, VZW)

3x mid band: aws, pcs, band 1

(TMO/VZW, VZW/sprint. ?Softy?)

1x high band: 2.5 ghz (sprint, softy)

And we're done. Where you gonna fit band 12? You want sprint to pay a premium to apple to get its own band 12 CDMA phone?

Edited by tuwsy

• 3 weeks later...