The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

Does Apple & or the developers even read the reviews. I feel like im expressing myself about the app & no one is paying attention or cares. If they are reading the reviews then they sure take their sweet time fixing the app. YouTube for ex. has 3 stars on the App Store & yet all the updates they release never addresses the issues & or complaints that us customers have about the app. Whenever I get an update from YouTube it's usually "speed improvements/bug improvements that caused certain people issues with logging in" *thats just an example* but you get the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm talking about the process developers use to submit apps to the App Store. Those go through a review system before Apple makes the app/update available to users. This is in contrast to Google, where I can create an account and start uploading apps today with no oversight. Apple enforces its app rules, but you can appeal if you think you have a good reason or their interpretation isn't valid.

Basically this means on Google Play I can create a game that also requires permission to copy your address book, send SMS messages, install background processes, etc and if users click OK when downloading my app (hint: users don't read the permissions list and wouldn't know what they meant if they did read it) then my game can rip off your address book in the background, install a key logger, sign you up for $10/month premium SMS messages, and kill your battery with a constantly running background process. Google doesn't know, nor do they care. They take the Microsoft Windows approach of "buyer beware".

On iOS, none of those things are possible because Apple doesn't allow apps to do them. If you use Apple private APIs, your app will be rejected. If you use tricks to get around the restrictions, you can be rejected. If your app claims to be a game but is actually something else you can be rejected. Is Apple perfect? No, but when they find out, they will pull your app from the store and possibly even ban you from submitting new apps if the violation is big enough and willful. Since you have to provide legit state-issued ID to publish an app, it cuts way down on the scammers and spammers. iOS also requires you confirm the app can access things like the address book, microphone, etc at the time the app wants to use them, making it far more likely that users will notice that a game is asking to read their contact list for some reason (apps are required to continue working, even if the user says no to all permission requests)

As for the Reviews of apps on the App Store itself, Apple doesn't read those. People post tens of thousands of them a day. Some are good, others are rambling incoherent gibbering like the screenshot you posted, where people threaten developers, Apple, or the President for random things that may or may not be legitimate. I'm sure whether or not Sensorly can use the signal strength API has a direct relationship to Apple's stock price :rolleyes:

We developers read the reviews for our own apps. I can't speak for others, but I certainly pay attention to them. I find that a paid app has much more legitimate reviews, including critical ones. My free apps are subject to people posting 1-star reviews, including ones complaining about a missing feature the app actually has. There appear to be a cabal of people that exists to download free apps then give them 1-star reviews without even running the app. But regardless, I do pay attention to the reviews and try to address issues people have.

• Like 1

If I submitted any feedback to Apple would right now it would be along the lines of "Get model A1530a out that adds band 41 support and Sprint CDMA and make your iPhones fully Spark compatible."  :D

• Like 1

Maybe in the next one.

A mid-year stealth update wouldn't be unprecedented... T-Mobile got one of those for AWS HSPA. 

Apple would do most of their testing for the iPhone Sprint variants in Samsung markets. I'm curious if their weird not really dual antenna but kind of sort of dual antenna setup chronicled by Brian Klug of Anandtech didn't play nice.  Not something I've thought of until now, but if Apple went full CSFB, they'd get the same angry shit that LG and Samsung dealt with. Long run, is it better to go full CSFB/TD-LTE? Absofreakinglutely. The more I start to piece together on the 5S models, the more I think it has legs. This is all hypothesis at this point, I'm not ready to run with any of this as fact, mind you. It is something to throw out for speculation. 

• Like 1

It's still merely a speculation by myself. I don't want to start spreading locked b26 iPhone rumors, but this is the first time anyone has been able to even scout b26 on confirmed reports of active sites. With all the g2/n5 users and their "requiring a spark update" and locked this and that, it's starting to look that way for us, too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the iPhone 5 iOS 7 and like my apple products, but I have noticed that my wife's S4 connects to LTE a lot more often than my iPhone.. iPhone Air or 6 or whatever it will be had better be a tri band or LG G2 here I come.

I have the iPhone 5 iOS 7 and like my apple products, but I have noticed that my wife's S4 connects to LTE a lot more often than my iPhone.. iPhone Air or 6 or whatever it will be had better be a tri band or LG G2 here I come.

Her s4 is a single band for LTE

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

My wife's 5c seems to connect to LTE at the same times and places as my GS3, and gets virtually identical speed tests.  If I remember correctly, the GS4 has only slightly better LTE performance than the GS3, so your results are somewhat puzzling.

. What's your point? In the context of his issue this doesn't make any sense to me.

I believe his point is it seems like stevemmit is implying that his wife's S4 is tri-band, if I'm understanding correctly. Either that or he is stating 2 completely unrelated things: His wife's S4 holding LTE better than his iPhone 5, and the fact that his iPhone 5 isn't tri-band LTE.

My wife's 5c seems to connect to LTE at the same times and places as my GS3, and gets virtually identical speed tests. If I remember correctly, the GS4 has only slightly better LTE performance than the GS3, so your results are somewhat puzzling.

The iPhone 5S/C connect to LTE a whole lot better than the 5. My whole family has Sprint. My cousins have the 5C & I find that before my phone even starts the process of connecting to LTE they would already have it.

The iPhone 5S/C connect to LTE a whole lot better than the 5. My whole family has Sprint. My cousins have the 5C & I find that before my phone even starts the process of connecting to LTE they would already have it.

That probably has to do with the fact that the iPhone's have a set amount of time before they will scan for LTE again. If you lose LTE for a certain period of time, it will just stay on 3G until it scans for LTE again (which is around 300 seconds on most phones, including the iPhone). You can speed this up by quickly cycling airplane mode and that will cause they iPhone to scan for LTE again.

• Like 1

Now that I have both an iPhone 5 and the Nexus 5, I've noticed that the iPhone won't connect to LTE as soon as the Nexus, and there are some spots the iPhone will hold LTE where the Nexus won't connect (So far its only been 1 spot). But it does sound like the 5S and 5C have either a better scan timer or a better radio than the iPhone 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

China Mobile is getting a TD-LTE iPhone 5S. Does anyone else think that this is good news? I think this greatly increases the probability of the iPhone 6 supporting TD-LTE and being tri-band.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks the 6 won't have LTE 2600.  That's interesting that the China 5S will have it earlier though.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks the 6 won't have LTE 2600.  That's interesting that the China 5S will have it earlier though.

Interesting? I think the potential customer base anyone would make it happen. Also band 38 includes a good portion of band 41. To get to 41 apple just has to modify slightly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on 5S being able to use LTE800? Has any other tri-band phones been able to use LTE800 with any consistency?

if there are any lte800 live near you. You would have to manually change your prl to put lte800 scan and importance over 1900