The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

Company "x" still blocks the signal strength so no mapping.

Thats the iOS 6 version. Apple's software & rules for their software have changed.

From what I understand Sensorly on iOS automatically test signal strength/type and maps it on the iPhone as long as the program is running. When you run the speedtest in Sensory it also adds that to the sensorly database as well.

Here's a quote from iOS Sensorly review from June:

"Sensorly does two primary things. First, it collects signal strength information from real-world cellular devices on pretty much every major cellular carrier and then displays it on color-coded Coverage Maps. The second feature that Sensorly offers is to test how fast your carrier is at your current location by performing a data Speed Test."

http://teachmeios.com/app-review-sensorly-for-iphone-and-ipad-cellular-mini/

Thanks for the review, but what I wanted to know is if anyone had information on when Sensorly for iOS 7 was going to be released. I read on another thread that there was an API that would allow for Mapping. I just wanted some solid proof that Sensorly would be taking advantage of that & since you guys are the experts I came to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sensorly posted recently saying signal strength was blocked. To be honest I don't see it happening any time soon it is just one of those things that comes with phone "x".

Waa , im hoping for the best maybe Apple will allow it & regardless phone "xs & xc" is Ahmazing.

Waa , im hoping for the best maybe Apple will allow it & regardless phone "xs & xc" is Ahmazing.

Sure.. Apparently not ahmazing enough to be ahwesome and map. Maybe in the next one.

Sure.. Apparently not ahmazing enough to be ahwesome and map. Maybe in the next one.

Lol . I was talking about the phones themselves. Apple would simply need to release a software update that allowed mapping. It would probably take less than a week for them to do that but thats all up to them.

Lol . I was talking about the phones themselves. Apple would simply need to release a software update that allowed mapping. It would probably take less than a week for them to do that but thats all up to them.

It's been how many years? Hmm.. Maybe in the "x"phone7? I doubt it.

The android folks do a great job at mapping sensorly, especially for sprint. Yeah, the database would probably be double, but it's fine how it is now.

it would be more of a benefit to AT&T and VZW where iPhone penetration is higher than Sprint.  Particularly AT&T.  

it would be more of a benefit to AT&T and VZW where iPhone penetration is higher than Sprint.  Particularly AT&T.  

I'm not sure AT&T cares... I think it's a strategic error on their part not to care, because AT&T has dumped more money into their networks to improve them. They are seeing really good improvements on speed but people still perceive them to be big and bad. 

If not for the ATNI transaction, they would have LOST net postpaid customers. 

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20131029/opinion/reality-check-atts-61-billion-promise/

AT&T is clearly in transition and they are trying to pull off a tough one. Yet, if they had stayed with the same bad old network structure they'd be in much, much worse shape. 

Of course AT&T doesn't care.  They don't care about a lot of things they should care about.  Shocking then to think they don't care about an independent group of would-be real world network performance mappers.  

but if there was a real iOS client, they would still benefit greatly at least among the people that use sensorly at all.  

Since there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the latest iPhone not being Tri-band, I found this press release about Sprint's Spark interesting: The press release is a good read as there's a lot of technical info, but I found this part key for Apple users worried about missing out on the 2500 band (emphasis below is mine)

Sprint plans to deploy Sprint Spark in about 100 of America’s largest cities during the next three years, with initial availability in five markets today. Sprint 4G LTE service will be available by mid-2014 to approximately 250 million Americans, and Sprint expects 100 million Americans will have Sprint Spark or 2.5GHz coverage by the end of 2014. The first markets with limited availability are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Tampa and Miami. The first smartphones with Sprint Spark capability are scheduled for customer availability in early November.

At three years to roll 2500 out everywhere, I'm not losing sleep over the newest Apple products "only" being dual-band.

• Like 1

Since there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the latest iPhone not being Tri-band, I found this press release about Sprint's Spark interesting: The press release is a good read as there's a lot of technical info, but I found this part key for Apple users worried about missing out on the 2500 band (emphasis below is mine)

At three years to roll 2500 out everywhere, I'm not losing sleep over the newest Apple products "only" being dual-band.

Right on!

Heck I'd eat my phone if we even get large adoption of 800mhz.

Ok I won't really eat it... But still

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

So, according to various articles, there is a software update to tri-band phones to get them to access tri-band (800/2500). So, does iPhones get an update also to use LTE800?

The iPhone 5c and 5s come with LTE 800. No update needed.

But so does the other phones (G2, Mini, Max). Yet they need SOFTWARE update to use the new bands.

Any info on whether these extra bands draw more power, to a noticeable level? Much like cdma to lte does?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

There's so much more 2.5/2.6 LTE out there than what they are saying though. It's simple, if you live in a previous wimax area, a triband LTE device is the only answer.

But so does the other phones (G2, Mini, Max). Yet they need SOFTWARE update to use the new bands.

Correct, just like with 1.9 LTE it wasn't enabled everywhere at the beginning. The update to turn it on came in the form of PRL updates. The 800LTE will probably be in a profile update or other small APN file update.

Correct, just like with 1.9 LTE it wasn't enabled everywhere at the beginning. The update to turn it on came in the form of PRL updates. The 800LTE will probably be in a profile update or other small APN file update.

Just wondering, how do you update PRL on iphone?

I thought the PRL affected only voice/text?