The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

I was hoping the 5S would have been an interesting possibility. Apple says it's the most forward thinking phone ever made. I just don't see how lack of nfc, lack of wifi ac, being cat3, missing band 41 and a 4" (is this still 2008?) screen can be classified as forward thinking. This feels for me similar to the iPad 3 debut... Just 2/3 of a real upgrade to warrant being "the next big thing". That's just my take on it. I am not bashing Apple. I have two Macs, an iPad, and more iPods over the years than Tribbles.

Last time I check ac wasn't standardized which is why I didn't buy the asus ac router.. Instead I went with the Asus n900 n66r - next best thing. I have the router setup as a server with a 1tb HD and have tons of music and videos so we can stream that to our iPhones, ipad 4, Lg Optimus and Samsung Ativ Windows phone over wi-fi. Actually ive never done it with the Ativ yet, but havent had time. I have the Win 7 pc setup so i can remote desktop it from wi fi at work with my personal iPhone. Id like to do it over 4g someday.

As far as NFC..Even my cousin who uses a S4 agrees with me some aspects NFC are gimmicky. Why buy a charging pad and charge your phone when you need an extra 60-90 minutes of charging time to do it ? You can charge it much faster by plugging it in and save 40 bucks by not buying a charging pad. Also tapping phones to send files in any business setting lets people know you're probably not working. Some forms of NFC like Bluetooth are very important, which of course the iPhone does have.

While I wanted band 41 I'm sure the chips, and the deals with suppliers and test on the phone were a done deal by the time Sprint bought clearwire 8 weeks ago. My thought is Samsung had much more notice to get 800 lte on board the s4. Some people here have complained more then once that the iPhone 5s will still be on sale in two years with only 2 bands - like the S4 and many other phones won't be on sale with only ONE band in two years? S2's are still on sale now just like tons of others old phones Sprint continues to sell under contract today and those people buying those phones are stuck with one band another 2 years. The iPhone 5s only has two bands. That's it. More then Half the people complaining don't buy iPhones. I'd much rather have 800 where Iam inside building medical facilities with a bad signal then 2500 any day.

The screen size is debatable. One of my patients has an htc mini and a co worker bought a s4 but went back to the iPhone because she didn't like holding the bigger phone. I've made post at other sites that I personally would like a bigger screen iphone and have received comments back from others that they hope Apple still sells a smaller screen if indeed they go the bigger route. Suppliers have said Apple is testing bigger screens. I believe with the i6 in line to be a redesign it'll be very likely.

When the iPhone 5 was released it was reported that it would not be compatible with the AWS bands that TMobile was rolling LTE out on, only the PCS bands which were far more limited.  But if I recall, Apple pushed out a firmware update to the device enabling it to operate on TMobile's AWS frequency.  Could the same thing be possible for the 5s and band 41?  I know it's not likely, but is it even possible since band 41 was not included in the original FCC filings?

No, AT&T used its incestuous relationship with Apple to get an iPhone 5 software lockout on band 4 W-CDMA, not band 4 LTE.  But a device that supports band 4 LTE also can support band 4 W-CDMA.  So, a software update was an easy change.

As for iPhone 5S/5C variants headed to Sprint, if they contained the hardware for band 41 TD-LTE, then they would have band 41 TD-LTE.  A software update is not a fix.

AJ

So, the iPhone 6 will support 41. Cool.

I think Sprint said that all LTE devices beginning in 2014 and beyond will have triband LTE support. We will know if that is true if the GS5 and the HTC One 2 are triband LTE devices in Spring 2014.

• Like 1

I agree that it is disappointing Apple didn't come through with a tri-band device but the statements that these phones WILL be selling in 2017 are not necessarily true. If Apple had stuck with their previous trends today, i would have no argument. Instead, today they switched up the pattern and removed the 5 from the product line. Now any new LTE iPhones will be 800 and 1900 ( yes still having the 4s on 3G is disappointing). The point I am trying to reach is that Apple may surprise us one year from now and not sell the 5C or 5S as they are currently going to be built. Hopefully they are changed up slightly to include more bands but at this point, no one can really be sure.

I didn't disagree with any of your comments but wanted to add the 4s, 5c, and 5s ( and even more Android phones ) are selling in many markets that only have 3G or even 2g .. I believe all Chinese carriers are all 2g or 3G with the exception of China Mobile that is in the middle of beginning an upgrade to 4g.. But that may be awhile. China Mobile covers well over 800 million by itself - more then double the usa population... Apple picked up another smaller Chinese carrier ( announced the other day ) that has over 300 million customers.. so while we ponder over not having band 41 it's easy to see why so many phones don't even cover 800..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Just thought you would want to know Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus are in Clear's initial rollout for Band 41, and will be complete by the end of the year.

Just as I suspected....it may be time to explore ecosystems other than that of the fruit variety for the next year...

Just thought you would want to know Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus are in Clear's initial rollout for Band 41, and will be complete by the end of the year.

When you say WE are in Clear's "initial" rollout I find it very hard to believe it'll be 'ready' by end of year...

When I think ready I think wide spread and all over - I'll be a believer when I hear its all over and not just in one area in downtown Columbus or one area at Easton 

Otherwise ( as I mentioned before) I'm hoping much more  for 800 LTE soon because I'm inside a thick walled medical building and 1900 BARELY comes in - I can't make calls, but sometimes text go thru.  Even if band 41 was close I wouldn't benefit where I work where I need signal the most.

But still, being a Sprint customer I'm glad according to what you say - that we aren't last this time.  But we'll see in Nov/Dec how widespread band 41 is..  If it's widespread it'll be nice to know Columbus will be balanced sooner. 

Our family has 2 iPhones, one Android, and one Windows phone by the way.  All older phones - except the Ativ which to my knowledge only does 1900 just like our other phones.

Most of Columbus won't be on tri band phones.  I'd think that 800 LTE would be decent and fairly unloaded compared to 1900 since 95% of Columbus will be on 1900 alone !

That would be the ass-backwards "ready, shoot, aim" mentality it seems this rollout has.... Rollout band 41 right away because it can't be used indoors, but make them wait on 1900 and 800 of which Im convinced won't be widespread until March..

When you say WE are in Clear's "initial" rollout I find it very hard to believe it'll be 'ready' by end of year...

When I think ready I think wide spread and all over - I'll be a believer when I hear its all over and not just in one area in downtown Columbus or one area at Easton 

Otherwise ( as I mentioned before) I'm hoping much more  for 800 LTE soon because I'm inside a thick walled medical building and 1900 BARELY comes in - I can't make calls, but sometimes text go thru.  Even if band 41 was close I wouldn't benefit where I work where I need signal the most.

But still, being a Sprint customer I'm glad according to what you say - that we aren't last this time.  But we'll see in Nov/Dec how widespread band 41 is..  If it's widespread it'll be nice to know Columbus will be balanced sooner. 

Our family has 2 iPhones, one Android, and one Windows phone by the way.  All older phones - except the Ativ which to my knowledge only does 1900 just like our other phones.

Most of Columbus won't be on tri band phones.  I'd think that 800 LTE would be decent and fairly unloaded compared to 1900 since 95% of Columbus will be on 1900 alone !

That would be the ass-backwards "ready, shoot, aim" mentality it seems this rollout has.... Rollout band 41 right away because it can't be used indoors, but make them wait on 1900 and 800 of which Im convinced won't be widespread until March..

I think you would be surprised how widespread Band 41 coverage is at this very moment....

Premiere Sponsors know what I mean.

• Like 4

I think you would be surprised how widespread Band 41 coverage is at this very moment....

Yes, We do!  I could not believe the deployment that Sprint has already completed on Band 41.  This makes tri-band even more of a necessity. 

Ok I can take the hint.  This is good news.  I just posted in another thread that it's not like 50% of Columbus customer are going to rush out and buy a tri-band phone here in 4 or 5 months, but more importantly .. while a lot of Sprint customers are fully aware of the LTE rollout, there are more then just many who know little to nothing about bands or Sprints tri-band rollout.  I'm thinking 800 and 2500 will be lightly loaded for quite some time.  1900 will be packed because that's all Sprint is selling as we speak.  And those people have no clue they will be stuck on 1900 for a long time..

In order to verify your theory, you have to know which areas that you have Wimax connection and which areas you don't. Then if you get a triband LTE device then you can verify if you get LTE 2600 in those same areas outside.  Its especially easy in Columbus, Ohio since there is not much LTE 1900 available and if you get LTE, its most likely LTE 2600.  You can even get a buddy who has a single band LTE phone and triband LTE phone in the same area and see if the triband LTE phone picks up LTE. You can verify LTE 2600 in the engineering menus and search for B41. 

Also keep in mind that this end of the year estimate is only for the Clearwire towers to be upgraded to TD-LTE.  Sprint still has work to do and go back to every single Sprint site and add LTE 2600.  But in the mean time there should be pretty sufficient LTE 2600 coverage if you have a triband LTE device.

Here's an example at Sprint.com.. the LG G2 ad page at Sprint.  It mentiones NOTHING about tri-band.  No mention at all.  Who would know that this it the first Sprint tri-band phone to go on sale ? 

http://www.sprint.com/landings/lg_g2/index.html?INTCID=CHP:RG:LG:20130903

In order to verify your theory, you have to know which areas that you have Wimax connection and which areas you don't. Then if you get a triband LTE device then you can verify if you get LTE 2600 in those same areas outside.  Its especially easy in Columbus, Ohio since there is not much LTE 1900 available and if you get LTE, its most likely LTE 2600.  You can even get a buddy who has a single band LTE phone and triband LTE phone in the same area and see if the triband LTE phone picks up LTE. You can verify LTE 2600 in the engineering menus and search for B41. 

Also keep in mind that this end of the year estimate is only for the Clearwire towers to be upgraded to TD-LTE.  Sprint still has work to do and go back to every single Sprint site and add LTE 2600.  But in the mean time there should be pretty sufficient LTE 2600 coverage if you have a triband LTE device.

Yeah that would be great, except Sprint has no tri-band phones on sale yet. And I already told someone - I'm not buying a hotspot.

Here's an example at Sprint.com.. the LG G2 ad page at Sprint.  It mentiones NOTHING about tri-band.  No mention at all.  Who would know that this it the first Sprint tri-band phone to go on sale ? 

http://www.sprint.com/landings/lg_g2/index.html?INTCID=CHP:RG:LG:20130903

We know from FCC docs that this will be a triband LTE device.  I think maybe the press release on launch day for the LG G2 might mention about triband LTE.

Such as?

A triband device.  That's why I was so disappointed to hear the iPhone 5s excluded band 41 because I suspected we'd be seeing LTE on that band sooner than I'll see it on 1.9 or 800 (especially considering I live / work / travel throughout the IBEZ and 800 is essentially useless to me).

A triband device.  That's why I was so disappointed to hear the iPhone 5s excluded band 41 because I suspected we'd be seeing LTE on that band sooner than I'll see it on 1.9 or 800 (especially considering I live / work / travel throughout the IBEZ and 800 is essentially useless to me).

I love the idea of band 41, but it won't do squat inside because it penetrates less then 1900.. I'm more about getting 800 LTE rolling

• Like 3

I love the idea of band 41, but it won't do squat inside because it penetrates less then 1900.. I'm more about getting 800 LTE rolling

It will do squat, as it will offload some folks in your area from those lower frequencies to allow you to have more fohhh geezzzzzz.

• Like 4

It will do squat, as it will offload some folks in your area from those lower frequencies to allow you to have more fohhh geezzzzzz.

I don't think everyone understand all the benefits of NV and how it offloads or penetrates depending on the users connectivity.

For those who do not fully understand how network vision works. 800mhz is for far distance and deep in building coverage. As you get closer to a cell site or closer to the walls of the building your 800mhz connection will increase and once close enough you will be switched to the 1900mhz range. Once you are super close to the walls in the build or outdoors, or very close to a cell site while in doors the cell site will connect you to the 2500mhz. This out door 2500mhz frequency has a huge advantage when it comes to say the world series, superbowl, or any other large out door events because the 2500mhz range has a large capacity which means less network congestion which equals greater or consistent usable speeds.