The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

I would NOT purchase something that couldn't use what is coming. If the GS3 could not use 1900, I wouldn't of bought it.

You are understanding me backwards.

When I bought the GS3 over a year ago, triband was not known to me, and, was farther out than the life of the phone. Was triband even a consideration back then?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Ok gotcha, but you gotta realize that most Sprint's 60 million  customers are not real savvy about tri band.  This is why handset makers may not be on the "mad-dash" to support all those bands.  Ask the average customer about tri band and they'll probably say "Try what ?" There are ATT and Verizon customer still getting iPhone 4s's ... and probably some because they are ignorant to LTE.  We can't try to blame handset makers  if Sprint's 1900 LTE slows down when NO 800 LTE is even out there and 2500 LTE will be scarce for most for another 1 and a 1/2 years.  I doubt EVERYONE will be selling tri band phones and I doubt most will for another year

What I said isn't rumor.  Apple is in fact testing bigger screens - I saw it on ABC news..... but RUMOR has it Apple considered bigger screens and thought about skipping the usual 's" option this time around, but RUMOR has it that screen yields would've been much too low. RUMOR also had it said 3 or 4 months ago Apple would have a fingerprint sensor in the iPhone 5s.  RUMOR also had it that the iPhone would be available in a cheaper plastic option called the iPhone 5c about 3 or 4 months ago.  RUMOR said Verizon would get the iPhone a year before they did.

What you said is a rumor. ABC News repeated a rumor. ABC News repeating a rumor does not make it a fact.

I also saw rumors stating they would be showing off ARM powered laptops, new iPads, new Apple TV, and Apple TV Screen, NFC in the iPhone 6, 802.11ac in the new iPhones, Mac OS X Mavericks launch, Apple iWallet, etc.

Two years ago, October 2011, talking heads on CNBC went on and on about Apple releasing the iPhone 5 as a WiMAX-capable device exclusively on Sprint. Because they read some junk at BGR.

Apple rumors are rumors until Tim gets up on stage and says they are facts.

Regardless, we're all off topic about the iPhone 5C and 5S. =)

I understand most people won't know what it is, they just care about performance. Triband helps ensure everyone gets better performance. The most triband the better. That's my entire point.

I agree that it is disappointing Apple didn't come through with a tri-band device but the statements that these phones WILL be selling in 2017 are not necessarily true.  If Apple had stuck with their previous trends today, i would have no argument.  Instead, today they switched up the pattern and removed the 5 from the product line.  Now any new LTE iPhones will be 800 and 1900 ( yes still having the 4s on 3G is disappointing).  The point I am trying to reach is that Apple may surprise us one year from now and not sell the 5C or 5S as they are currently going to be built.  Hopefully they are changed up slightly to include more bands but at this point, no one can really be sure.

LOL..

Yeah but this is sorta the same argument.  How many of us will have 800 LTE in 10 months ?  More of us will have 800 then 2500.  It would be great to have a tri-band phone but of Sprint's 60 million customers have many can actually use anything but 1900 ?  I'm in the 1/4 of Sprint customers still waiting on 1900 LTE, let alone 800.

We can argue those phone will around in 3 years, but I doubt that many.  More people will upgrade when there is a solid reason.  If Sprint flipped on all LTE bands today here and now - more of us would make a strong effort to change phones right away assuming more phones were tri-band. 

Well, look, I am on an EVO 3D and I am on a Sprint MVNO (Ting). I generally keep my phones for a long time. For me this makes sense as I am in a large metro area and I feel very confident that all 3 bands will be active in the next year or so. I just don't see the point in a phone that is cut off from the future network like my current WiMax device is. 800 LTE compatibility is super important to me as 1900 3g barely reaches into houses in my area. WiMax has very good coverage here (2500) and that big potential burst speed is what I am looking for when on the road for emails. These two combined is what will keep me on Sprint.

Does anyone think the reason the iPhone didn't get tri-band this time around because of all of the SoftBank/Sprint vs. DISH vs. Clearwire debacle to occurred in the beginning of the summer?

Was 2500/2600 always a part of Sprint's plans for network vision in the beginning?

Does anyone think the reason the iPhone didn't get tri-band this time around because of all of the SoftBank/Sprint vs. DISH vs. Clearwire debacle to occurred in the beginning of the summer?

Was 2500/2600 always a part of Sprint's plans for network vision in the beginning?

This has to be the reason

If anyone of the handset makers had a heads up on what was going on - it was Samsung - Sprint is using a lot of Samsung for the NV upgrade - yet the Galaxy S4 doesn't even have 800 LTE support.  Sprint's leaked plans became known in 2011 for 800 LTE.  These rumors manifest true in 2012.  In mid 2013 Sprint's LTE 800 was cleared by the FCC -  still 2 months before anyone knew if Clearwire would even be in Sprint's or Dish's hands. 

By this argument Apple didn't even know who would have Clearwires spectrum until barely over 2 months ago. 

YEP ! This is the reason !  At the time the deal was being finalized - the iPhone 5s was already in beta testing - virtually a ready product.  There was actually almost no way the 5s could realistically have 2500 LTE - at least for the sake of Sprint.  The Sprint buyout didn't even happen until July 10th ! Only 2 months ago. Wow.. seems longer.. but maybe most of that was the negotiation. 

Apple had no way to know !

• Like 4

If anyone of the handset makers had a heads up on what was going on - it was Samsung - Sprint is using a lot of Samsung for the NV upgrade - yet the Galaxy S4 doesn't even have 800 LTE support.  Sprint's leaked plans became known in 2011 for 800 LTE.  These rumors manifest true in 2012.  In mid 2013 Sprint's LTE 800 was cleared by the FCC -  still 2 months before anyone knew if Clearwire would even be in Sprint's or Dish's hands. 

By this argument Apple didn't even know who would have Clearwires spectrum until barely over 2 months ago. 

YEP ! This is the reason !  At the time the deal was being finalized - the iPhone 5s was already in beta testing - virtually a ready product.  There was actually almost no way the 5s could realistically have 2500 LTE - at least for the sake of Sprint.  The Sprint buyout didn't even happen until July 10th ! Only 2 months ago. Wow.. seems longer.. but maybe most of that was the negotiation. 

Ya, rumors have it the 5s prototypes were first created in Dec. 2012....

I dunno, just a thought. Maybe Robert or AJ could enlighten us some more

Ya, rumors have it the 5s prototypes were first created in Dec. 2012....

I dunno, just a thought. Maybe Robert or AJ could enlighten us some more

Well you can be pretty sure that the 5s was finished more then 8 weeks ago ( when the Softbank deal went through ).. its just most of us never considered this.

Anyone planning to upgrade to a 5S or 5C please explain why and what you're upgrading from.

Curious

Upgrading from iPhone 5, because I want the latest and greatest.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Wasnt the same said of CDMA 800? I remember discussion that once Nextel went away, 800 would explode....

Sort of hasnt happened that quickly.

Actually it has, at least in Samsung markets. There are literally dozens of sites I've come across that are broadcasting 1x 800 but whose acceptances have not made it over to S4GRU yet. Also, as others have pointed out, once they get started in a couple weeks, the 800 LTE rollout should progress even more quickly than 1x 800 among sites that have already had new backhaul hooked up (and are thus 4G/LTE 1900 accepted), since 911 testing need not be done. Not sure if they'll be testing data handoffs or not. That is why Sprint feels it will have all sites that are currently 4G accepted up and running with 800 LTE by the end of the year, with sites getting 800 and 1900 LTE simultaneously activated starting early next year.

It is true that 2600 LTE coverage will grow more slowly, since permits and new RRUs are needed, as well as perhaps even faster backhaul, although with fiber and gigabit-capable equipment already in place it wouldn't take much more than a phone call to the backhaul vendor to have that done. It will therefore take longer than 800 LTE to arrive, but shouldn't take nearly as long as the initial Network Vision upgrades.

If anyone of the handset makers had a heads up on what was going on - it was Samsung - Sprint is using a lot of Samsung for the NV upgrade - yet the Galaxy S4 doesn't even have 800 LTE support. Sprint's leaked plans became known in 2011 for 800 LTE. These rumors manifest true in 2012. In mid 2013 Sprint's LTE 800 was cleared by the FCC - still 2 months before anyone knew if Clearwire would even be in Sprint's or Dish's hands.

YEP ! This is the reason ! At the time the deal was being finalized - the iPhone 5s was already in beta testing - virtually a ready product. There was actually almost no way the 5s could realistically have 2500 LTE - at least for the sake of Sprint. The Sprint buyout didn't even happen until July 10th ! Only 2 months ago. Wow.. seems longer.. but maybe most of that was the negotiation.

Yeah.... Just ignore the LG G2 tri band.....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Will I be able to buy that in 10 days? 

Last I checked, pre-orders for the G2 start October 11th for Sprint. And they said it will arrive "in time for the holidays". That's potentially months behind the iPhone release. 

• Like 1

Abc news also said Obama was born in the USA. Speaking of conspiracy theories

Last I checked Hawaii was indeed part of the USA....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I see plenty of Android people almost giddy that it doesn't support 2500, turning the topic into a frequency discussion instead of one about the actual merits of the new devices.

Aside from the rest of the things this thread turned in to, I certainly hope this wasn't directed at me, even in part.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

If the conspiracy theories continue to come across as rants, the thread itself may be locked, and several of you may be locked away in S4GRU straightjackets.

Back to reality.  Got it?

AJ

• Like 4

So I am a huge apple fan and have apple phone and computer...putting the whole tri-band discussion aside (because honestly I'm alright with the dual band because where i am I will never use b41 and I'm still waiting on 1900 LTE) I'm pretty disappointed in apples release of their new phone.  The Touch ID, yeah its kinda niffty (bet no one has heard that word in a while) but I honestly was expecting NFC and like an iWallet to come out with it.  Its not really useful in my opinion right now.  Its kinda just a...hey look at this type deal.  As far as camera goes the iPhone 5 already has a great camera and the competitors are competing with the 5s pretty well in the camera department.  The A7 chip was a great addition though enough to sell me....?  Yeah I don't think so.  This was probably the most disappointing release apple has done.  I thought the 4s was great because of siri (love siri) and it got some amazing spec bumps and improvements from the 4.  After the announcement you can tell many people aren't too thrilled about it.  Apples market shares dropped pretty dramatically after the announcement as well.  So I do have an iPhone 5 and because of some circumstances I actually can upgrade my phone right now but I honestly have zero desire too because of the poor job I feel apple did on this one.  I would go with an android right now just for screen size but it is so incompatible with my mac.  Again I'm a huge apple person but i'm very disappointed.  Any other apple people feeling this way?  I kinda do want to switch to a larger screened phone but again there is the compatibility issue with my mac and also I'd wait until at least a dual or tri band phone came out by samsung or HTC.  Who else is feeling this way?

Most of us will.  The home button is on the back and I don't have LTE 1900 yet and won't have 2600 for quite some time.. Do you have 800 LTE yet ?

Oh I agree with the fingerprint vs face unlock I just feel like they didn't really impress me I guess this time ya know?  Usually when an iphone is released I feel like I absolutely have to have it.  This one I definitely don't feel that way.

Most of us will.  The home button is on the back and I don't have LTE 1900 yet and won't have 2600 for quite some time.. Do you have 800 LTE yet ?

You live in Columbus, OH? You just might have 2600 LTE already, and just don't know it. Take St. Louis as an example. No announcement of work, nothing to note that 2600 LTE is live, but it is, and has been tested. Clear is actively upgrading WiMax markets to LTE, it may have already happened in your area, but without a Tri-Band device, you wouldn't know it.