The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

You're not everyone. Some people don't like spending $100 to replace their battery when it doesn't retain as much charge anymore. Some people like to have the ability to get a fully charged battery in a matter of seconds when they don't have access to an outlet for a long period of time. And yes, you can get one of those portable external batteries for an iphone, but it takes up a lot more space to bring with you and makes your phone hugemongous when attached. Every Apple product I've had has outlasted its battery since I take care of my things and keep them for a long time.

first of all, a battery replacement for a consumed battery is 80 bucks, not 100. Secondly, it's rated to keep up to 80% of the original charge for 400 cycles.

So, if you use your phone down to 20% every day and recharge it to 100% then you get to 480 days and you're down to 80%. That's not exactly terrible. And again, if you ever want a new one because you have consumed it, Apple will put one in for you. Or like most of us you can just continue to use it for a few months until you are upgrade eligible.

first of all, a battery replacement for a consumed battery is 80 bucks, not 100. Secondly, it's rated to keep up to 80% of the original charge for 400 cycles.

So, if you use your phone down to 20% every day and recharge it to 100% then you get to 480 days and you're down to 80%. That's not exactly terrible. And again, if you ever want a new one because you have consumed it, Apple will put one in for you. Or like most of us you can just continue to use it for a few months until you are upgrade eligible.

Edit: Ok maybe I'll be nice and let you believe what you want to believe.  Sorry I insulted the GodPhone

Edit: Ok maybe I'll be nice and let you believe what you want to believe. Sorry I insulted the GodPhone

no belief required. Unlike some other posters in this thread I'm actually posting factual information instead of spreading FUD.

I never understood the allure of a removable battery and why it's constantly causing arguments amongst the android faithful. I already hate carrying stuff around with me all day. I wouldn't want a battery in my pocket "just in case." It's so much easier to just have a car charger in my vehicles, and wall chargers in a few spots of my house. I've never had a problem.

When I was on Android, I had a Galaxy S.  It's battery life was only a few hours, so I bought a few extras and had to rotate through them as I went through the day.  As soon as I got in the car, I always plugged in my GS.  I think some Android people get used to that and are then worried about issues with an iPhone running out on a daily basis.  Now if the internal battery ever went bad, that would be an issue, but by that time iPhone people are usually ready to upgrade their phones or have AppleCare and get the replacement for free.

I do have one of those external USB battery packs, but I only use that for road trips.  I use it mostly for my iPad 2, which after 3 years doesn't have the battery life it used to.  It still is decent though.

I never understood the allure of a removable battery and why it's constantly causing arguments amongst the android faithful. I already hate carrying stuff around with me all day. I wouldn't want a battery in my pocket "just in case." It's so much easier to just have a car charger in my vehicles, and wall chargers in a few spots of my house. I've never had a problem.

I sometimes go on bike rides, hikes, fishing, four wheeler rides, etc with no access to chargers. I like to use my phone for music streaming, maps, etc. It's so nice to just bring the extra battery and slip it in my first-aid kit. Phone dies, no problem, recharge it in seconds. No wires, no battery pack to mess with etc. Plus my wife's battery on her S3 stopped charging at 75%. $25 and she has two batteries and a wall charger. No store to visit, no repair charger and she gains a battery and USB charger. Simple. KISS is great.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/14/iphone-5s-5c-china-mobile-tenaa-certification/

From the TENAA certification, it looks like the China Mobile iPhone models are A1516 for the 5C supporting TD-SCDMA and TD-LTE, and A1518 for the 5S supporting same bands. 

You said "I never understood the allure of a removable battery."  I told you the allure.

Yeah I don't know anyone who carries around multiple batteries either for extra power.. It's easier to just have your cord in the car or whatever..

Yeah I don't know anyone who carries around multiple batteries either for extra power.. It's easier to just have your cord in the car or whatever..

I do have a cord in the car.  It just doesn't help very much when you're 25 miles away from your car on your bike.  Does Apple make a 25 mile long lightning cable?  I may have to consider getting an iPhone if that's the case. 

It's just the anger towards apple from these tech sites that start every review, year after year, with "still no removable battery, yada yada." It's like that's the only thing that matters on a new phone.

• Like 1

I'd rather get a Mophie battery to toss in my bag than have to pull off the back of my device. 

58409.png

I'm honestly surprised that even with more efficient 28mm chipsets and larger batteries (3200 mAH on the Note 3 compared to 1570 mAH on the 5S) that the iPhone 5S still wins that test, which a battery slightly less than half as large as that on the Note. Granted the 5S has to push a lot less pixels than the Note 3 does. 

Still, I would have guessed Android battery life would be better than the iPhone at this point and I'd be wrong. Unless you go to the SoC independent talk time tests. 

I do have a cord in the car.  It just doesn't help very much when you're 25 miles away from your car on your bike.  Does Apple make a 25 mile long lightning cable?  I may have to consider getting an iPhone if that's the case. 

When you're out on your bike are you texting every moment ?  Your stated situation doesn't fit reality..  It's like you're trying to make a point of justifying carrying around batteries to someone that's never seen that be an issue.

If you're going to attempt to make a case of being away from your car on a biking trip I guess you're sitting there using your phone most of the time and using a phone that drains faster then mine- because my battery just doesn't drain that fast when I've been hiking all day and biking and my battery will still be nearly 50% after 10 hours with a few text here and there and an occasional google or look at news..but when I'm out away from my car doing something active - I don't live on my phone - that's kinda the point of biking.  

Even in a situation where the battery drains quicker like ( where I work in a thick walled facility and the phone is searching for a better signal often )  I'm getting 12 to 15 hours inside - even with a crappy signal I still leave with 15% battery.. my phone is being used for text, and a few phone calls.  I don't use my phone at work to surf alot.  Thats for my off time.

When you're out on your bike are you texting every moment ?  Your stated situation doesn't fit reality..  It's like you're trying to make a point of justifying carrying around batteries to someone that's never seen that be an issue.

If you're going to attempt to make a case of being away from your car on a biking trip I guess you're sitting there using your phone most of the time and using a phone that drains faster then mine- because my battery just doesn't drain that fast when I've been hiking all day and biking and my battery will still be nearly 50% after 10 hours with a few text here and there and an occasional google or look at news..but when I'm out away from my car doing something active - I don't live on my phone - that's kinda the point of biking.  

Even in a situation where the battery drains quicker like ( where I work in a thick walled facility and the phone is searching for a better signal often )  I'm getting 12 to 15 hours inside - even with a crappy signal I still leave with 15% battery.. my phone is being used for text, and a few phone calls.  I don't use my phone at work to surf alot.  Thats for my off time.

Why am I not surprised an Apple user is unable to even comprehend that other people may have different uses and preferences than himself?   I understand completely that some people have absolutely no use for a removable battery, or might benefit but not often enough to consider it as a factor in their purchase.  As for me, I both want and have use for a removable battery.  I chose the GS4 over the One, and a lot of it was because of the battery (iphone couldn't map sensorly so that was a pass). I'm totally ok with users demanding the battery be non-removable so they can fit 3 more mAh in there with the space they saved.  That's what some people want.  Yet some users will fight tooth and nail against any reasoning that is contrary to how they personally use their device. 

I'd rather get a Mophie battery to toss in my bag than have to pull off the back of my device. 

I get that.  It's a lot easier for some people to slap on an external battery or charger than it is to go through the process of removing the cover, taking one battery out, putting the other battery in, and putting the cover back on.  But the Mophie also takes up more space in your bag.  And swapping out your battery instead of recharging it extends the life of your batteries (and is cheaper than $80).  So there are pros and cons of both. 

Of course, with a removable battery you can do anything you can with a non-removable battery so maybe there really isn't a con there since you can still use external batteries/chargers.  But there are other cons. 

I could also counter by the graph that I posted of Anandtech's battery tests done by Brian Klug that the GS4 needs the removable battery because it's not that good at power management. Whether that's due to Android, the way Samsung has built the handset, or the cruft filled mess that's Touchwiz, I don't know the answer to that. Touchwiz is a major problem if people can find lag on the Galaxy Note 3, which has a quad core Snapdragon 800 which is arguably the most powerful processor on the market. 

The battery life on the GS4 improves somewhat on the GPe edition, but that's not available on Sprint. 

Also, on a side note, almost everyone that I saw with a GS4 this weekend cracked their screen. What's up with that? Is the screen brittle on the GS4? I know iPhone users struggle with this too, but it wasn't on seemingly every device like with the GS4. 

I could also counter by the graph that I posted of Anandtech's battery tests done by Brian Klug that the GS4 needs the removable battery because it's not that good at power management. Whether that's due to Android, the way Samsung has built the handset, or the cruft filled mess that's Touchwiz, I don't know the answer to that. Touchwiz is a major problem if people can find lag on the Galaxy Note 3, which has a quad core Snapdragon 800 which is arguably the most powerful processor on the market. 

The battery life on the GS4 improves somewhat on the GPe edition, but that's not available on Sprint. 

Also, on a side note, almost everyone that I saw with a GS4 this weekend cracked their screen. What's up with that? Is the screen brittle on the GS4? I know iPhone users struggle with this too, but it wasn't on seemingly every device like with the GS4. 

Maybe it's just me but the guys I see with iPhones tend not to have bulky cases and usually have no case at all.  I can understand that - if I had a well-built phone like the One or iPhone I wouldn't want it covered up by an ugly case.  If you have a cheap, plastic exterior a case often improves the appearance plus gives some protection.  I'm being very careful with my GS4 since my last phone hit the ground at least 4 times (but never cracked).  The removable battery actually would provide drop protection since it requires force to pop the cover off and increases the moment of the impact ( like a crumple zone).  So even with the iPhone's screen usually being a generation ahead in strength, not having a case or having a thinner case is gonna mean more cracks. 

My main battery issues seem to come from either GPS or signal-hunting.  My GS4 lost 50% of its charge overnight last night with no apps that I know of running.  It lost another 40% before lunch, sitting unused in my pocket.  This is the first time that's happened with the GS4, but the same thing happened to my previous phone on occasion - if I left it in a locker at work it would always be dead by the time I grabbed it at the end of my shift.

Why am I not surprised an Apple user is unable to even comprehend that other people may have different uses and preferences than himself? I understand completely that some people have absolutely no use for a removable battery, or might benefit but not often enough to consider it as a factor in their purchase. As for me, I both want and have use for a removable battery. I chose the GS4 over the One, and a lot of it was because of the battery (iphone couldn't map sensorly so that was a pass). I'm totally ok with users demanding the battery be non-removable so they can fit 3 more mAh in there with the space they saved. That's what some people want. Yet Apple users will fight tooth and nail against any reasoning that is contrary to how they personally use their device.

First of all you're the one who came to me first with the whole bicycle scenario .. It seems you were the first to assume. Secondly iPhones tend to have better battery life then half the Android phones out there. You can usually do more for longer on an iPhone so you probably do need to buy more batteries. It's the same reason some Android phones come with huge battery options. Android OS is about three times the size of iOS.. It needs more power to run as smoothly. It's also no secret that Google services has been known in the Android community as a drain on batteries even more.. When it comes to everyday use at work I see co workers with Android phones plugging in their phones more often - despite knowing they are using their phones about as much as Iam during the same 12 to 15 hour day..

Next week my mother in law is coming to visit and wants to switch to Sprint from T-Mobile and get onto our family plan. I am thinking about getting her into an iPhone 5c because she wants something free and has never used a full blown smart phone. I figure it gives her at least band 26 LTE compared to just band 25 LTE in the other free options like the LG OG or Samsung SIII. It might be less complicated than figuring out Touchwiz, too.

The nastiness and name calling above borders on being reportable, and should stop before the Mods give someone a vacation.

That said, I am an Android bigot. However, my wife, my neighbor, and my daughter's boyfriend have all bought iPhone 5x's and in the past 10 days, and are delighted with them.  Their phones may not have all the whiz-bang gadgetry of my Android, but they are solid performers and have good battery life. (I have to use a juice pack to get through a long day with my GS3.)  Last night, I sat my GS3 and my wife's 5c next to each other on a table at an Illinois Tollway oasis (not the best cell-phone environment), and the 2 phones tracked within percentage points on LTE ping, download, and upload speeds.  Neither had an advantage radio-wise (although I will be jealous when 800 LTE bursts forth!).

The subject of this thread is supposed to be the iPhone, not "Let's Insult Each Other's Phones, Intelligence, and Manhood".  Fixed battery, removable battery, external battery, juice pack: Frankly, who needs to give a damn.  If you want to be able to swap batteries, buy a GS4. If you want elegant design, buy an iPhone.  If you insist on a metal phone, buy an HTC One.  Just stop criticizing other people because they have different tastes (or needs) than you do.

• Like 5

First of all you're the one who came to me first with the whole bicycle scenario .. It seems you were the first to assume. Secondly iPhones tend to have better battery life then half the Android phones out there. You can usually do more for longer on an iPhone so you probably do need to buy more batteries. It's the same reason some Android phones come with huge battery options. Android OS is about three times the size of iOS.. It needs more power to run as smoothly. It's also no secret that Google services has been known in the Android community as a drain on batteries even more.. When it comes to everyday use at work I see co workers with Android phones plugging in their phones more often - despite knowing they are using their phones about as much as Iam during the same 12 to 15 hour day..

No it was actually digiblur that came up with the bicycle scenario.

The subject of this thread is supposed to be the iPhone, not "Let's Insult Each Other's Phones, Intelligence, and Manhood".  Fixed battery, removable battery, external battery, juice pack: Frankly, who needs to give a damn.  If you want to be able to swap batteries, buy a GS4. If you want elegant design, buy an iPhone.  If you insist on a metal phone, buy an HTC One.  Just stop criticizing other people because they have different tastes (or needs) than you do.

Exactly.  Even though a phone/carrier/sporting team/fabric softener/etc is better for one person doesn't mean it's better for everyone.  If Apple made an iphone with a 5 inch screen that could map sensorly I'd be all over it. I do think comparing the features helps people in weighing what they personally prefer before making a buying decision though, as they can learn from other people's usage. 

Out of curiosity, do most of you go with the base storage model, or do you need 32 or 64GB?  One of the great things about the iphone is that I could potentially not have to have both an ipod and a phone since the iphone has the functionality of both.  I may be in the minority, but 64GB just isn't enough for the music I'd like to have on me, let alone apps and vids.  Have so many people switched to streaming services that the larger models just don't sell?  I was always confused as to why Apple seemed to really stall in expanding the storage size each year like they used to. 

Exactly.  Even though a phone/carrier/sporting team/fabric softener/etc is better for one person doesn't mean it's better for everyone.  If Apple made an iphone with a 5 inch screen that could map sensorly I'd be all over it. I do think comparing the features helps people in weighing what they personally prefer before making a buying decision though, as they can learn from other people's usage. 

Out of curiosity, do most of you go with the base storage model, or do you need 32 or 64GB?  One of the great things about the iphone is that I could potentially not have to have both an ipod and a phone since the iphone has the functionality of both.  I may be in the minority, but 64GB just isn't enough for the music I'd like to have on me, let alone apps and vids.  Have so many people switched to streaming services that the larger models just don't sell?  I was always confused as to why Apple seemed to really stall in expanding the storage size each year like they used to.

I don't use an iPhone but I am pretty sure you can use iCloud to stream your iTunes library and photo album so physical memory really doesn't matter on your iPhone.

I don't use an iPhone but I am pretty sure you can use iCloud to stream your iTunes library and photo album so physical memory really doesn't matter on your iPhone.

They absolutely do. Every iPhone gets 5gb of cloud storage for pictures and your backup (every time you're plugged in and on wifi). I own the 64gb 5s and enrolled in iTunes Match for $25/year. It's incredible. It takes your whole music collection and puts it in the cloud. It even will turn crappy sounding versions that you have on your computer and converts them to 256k which sounds great. I have 1500 songs taking up zero local space on my phone. They just stream when you play them with the option of downloading them locally.

As someone else said, if you have a huge music library, iTunes Match is fantastic.  For $25 a year, I can stream my entire collection (even stuff not on the iTunes Store) without taking space on my iPhone or iPad.  Another nice feature of iTunes Match is that if you have it then the iTunes Radio feature has no ads.

As for which size is best, a lot depends on the type of user you are.  My parents are photo hoarders and can't seem to want to delete their photos after syncing to their computer, so the 64GB model is best for them.  I personally have the 32GB model as it gives me more room for trying out different apps and games.  I generally recommend that size to new users.