will sprint be expanding coverage in cities that have outgrown it?

Yes, they do need to cover urban, suburban and exurban as well as have highway coverage. They can leave the CCA carriers to cover the truly rural areas.

I agree, but I will add 2 extra points. Recreational/vacation areas should also be covered even if there are limited native customers, and due to build out requirements with spectrum, if there is not a CCA member in an area they might have to build out to satisfy the requirements.

I agree, but I will add 2 extra points. Recreational/vacation areas should also be covered even if there are limited native customers, and due to build out requirements with spectrum, if there is not a CCA member in an area they might have to build out to satisfy the requirements.

Sprint definitely knows where their customers go.  Because their roaming bills show them.  In the past, it has been said that Sprint prioritizes where they add additional sites based on where they pay roaming fees.  And that's a smart way to prioritize.  This is for coverage adds.  Quality and capacity adds are done by network monitoring and customer reports.

• Like 4

Sprint definitely knows where their customers go.  Because their roaming bills show them.  In the past, it has been said that Sprint prioritizes where they add additional sites based on where they pay roaming fees.  And that's a smart way to prioritize.  This is for coverage adds.  Quality and capacity adds are done by network monitoring and customer reports.

Moral of the story -  Marcelo is watching you sleep at night.  :P

• Like 7

Moral of the story -  Marcelo is watching you sleep at night.  :P

AJ

• Like 3

My God, Those hairdos 

Envious that they have full heads of 80s hair?

:P

AJ

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Current Totals from 5/28/13 - 12/3/14

205 new sites

102 iDEN conversions

37 new DAS sites

0 Clearwire conversions

0 Clearwire B41 only conversions

1 new COW/NASCOW

1 new Pico Cell site

30 deactivations

For a net total of 316 new sites.

Feel free to check my math, but it appears that we have passed the 100 iDEN conversions mark! Hopefully they continue, there are many that would still make great infill sites. Additionally if my memory serves me correctly about a 1000 sites that served areas where iDEN was the only Sprint service offered, maybe we will start to see more of these sites converted as well...

• Like 6

205 new sites

102 iDEN conversions

37 new DAS sites

0 Clearwire conversions

1 new COW/NASCOW

1 new Pico Cell site

30 deactivations

Feel free to check my math, but it appears that we have passed the 100 iDEN conversions mark! Hopefully they continue, there are many that would still make great infill sites. Additionally if my memory serves me correctly about a 1000 sites that served areas where iDEN was the only Sprint service offered, maybe we will start to see more of these sites converted as well...

Is it possible to see where those 316 new sites are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is it possible to see where those 316 new sites are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not easily. They are all on the maps but unless I am totally blind I don't think there is a new/conversion site map.

Edited by cdk

• 1 month later...

Current Totals from 5/28/13 - 1/5/15

215 new sites

106 iDEN conversions

38 new DAS sites

0 Clearwire conversions

1 new COW

1 new Pico Cell site

30 deactivations

For a net total of 331 new sites.

• Like 6

Current Totals from 5/28/13 - 1/5/15

215 new sites

106 iDEN conversions

38 new DAS sites

0 Clearwire conversions

1 new COW

1 new Pico Cell site

30 deactivations

For a net total of 331 new sites.

I really like the information here, and though it would be very time consuming to make a map... I would be interested in seeing it too, but maybe more interesting would be a map that shows the other 1000 iDen towers that have no native sprint coverage. It's good to see that they are making some expansion, but I'm curious to how many towers the other carriers are activating each year (Both totals & % of their total)

I really like the information here, and though it would be very time consuming to make a map... I would be interested in seeing it too, but maybe more interesting would be a map that shows the other 1000 iDen towers that have no native sprint coverage. It's good to see that they are making some expansion, but I'm curious to how many towers the other carriers are activating each year (Both totals & % of their total)

Become a premier sponsor and you can see the legacy Nextel 800MHz iDEN network, some of the sites have been converted from iDEN to CDMA/LTE.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

205 new sites

102 iDEN conversions

37 new DAS sites

0 Clearwire conversions

1 new COW/NASCOW

1 new Pico Cell site

30 deactivations

I'm sure there's more than the now 106 documented iDEN conversions. There's at least 3 in my market alone that have been found by users that are, AFAIK, not counted in the official numbers yet.

I'm sure there's more than the now 106 documented iDEN conversions. There's at least 3 in my market alone that have been found by users that are, AFAIK, not counted in the official numbers yet.

That is certainly possible, I only have the 'official' numbers. The more the better! Not that my opinion holds much weight, but if they where to convert the `1000 iDEN sites outside of the CDMA/LTE footprint and use a similar number inside of it to densify the network, I would say they did well. 

• Like 6