Late-night roaming?

mrknowitall526

That title sounds like a stand-up comedy club for S4GRUers!

Seriously, though, every night around 1 or 1:30 am I notice my phone goes into roaming mode, as well as my mifi, killing my late-night web surfing.

Do you suppose it's just the equipment power cycling? Or perhaps Sprint figures the cost of running the tower during late hours in a rural area where I am is more expensive than allowing VZW roaming for a few hours with potential little use.

since I started this post, it's gone back to my regular tower, and my strong (recently upgraded!) 3G connection has come back to my Mifi.

• Like 1

That's odd, however, now that you mention it I have noticed that my phone tends to roam more at night time as well. Is sprint really known to turn off towers during off peak hours? That doesn't seem likely but I suppose it'd make sense for people out in the sticks(like me). My closest Sprint tower is approximately 4 miles away and the closest Verizon tower to me is about 1/2 mile away. My phone tends to battle between home and roaming just based upon the proximity of the Verizon tower and my phone wanting to stay in it's "home" mode. I think phones tend to want to stay in their intended network, but I could be wrong. I can't really offer much more help than you're not alone in this lol

• Like 1

Depending on how far you are from the tower, atmospheric changes at night could be doing funky things to the signal. But I don't think I've ever seen Sprint stop powering a site at night...and there are some pretty rural sites out here.

• Like 2

That is... very strange. I would expect the opposite, what with fewer devices actively using a site, cell breathing going down should improve the coverage. I've definitely noticed that it's easier to get and hold on to 4G the later in to the night I get, pretty consistently.

But if it only lasts for 30 minutes or so, yeah, that would tell me there's some equipment that's on a timer to reset.

That is... very strange. I would expect the opposite, what with fewer devices actively using a site, cell breathing going down should improve the coverage. I've definitely noticed that it's easier to get and hold on to 4G the later in to the night I get, pretty consistently.

But if it only lasts for 30 minutes or so, yeah, that would tell me there's some equipment that's on a timer to reset.

Yeah.  Last night it was maybe about 10 minutes or so.  Why would they do that?  Do all sites do that, and perhaps since there's not really a closer one around, it roams instead of connecting to one farther away?

I've noticed this too... but not only at night and not in a too rural area 20, 000 peeps in my town. I have very good signal at home -70 to -80 but randomly my phone will switch to roaming, but whats really confusing to me is that my boyfriends s2 with virgin mobile will keep service just fine but for the life of me I won't be able to get my sprint s3 to connect to the tower a block away. Irritating.

That's odd, however, now that you mention it I have noticed that my phone tends to roam more at night time as well. Is sprint really known to turn off towers during off peak hours?

Uh, yeah, when your phone plays this message, you know that Sprint has signed off for the night.

AJ

• Like 5

Uh, yeah, when your phone plays this message, you know that Sprint has signed off for the night.

AJ

I remember when TV wasn't 24 hours a day and stations would go off the air at night. Ahh, memories. I bet most of our members agree too young to even get this clip.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I remember when TV wasn't 24 hours a day and stations would go off the air at night. Ahh, memories. I bet most of our members agree too young to even get this clip.

Back in the day, I remember a tv station (WCGV Ch. 24) here going off air at about 7pm or so and it made room for SelecTV to broadcast. We would have to turn on the SelecTV decoder box at a specific time to receive whatever code was necessary to watch movies that night. The code sent OTA had to agree with the code entered in the thumb wheels on the front of the decoder box. If we were late in "warming up the box" we didn't get to see movies that day.

iGPwNbr.jpg

• Like 1

I've noticed this too... but not only at night and not in a too rural area 20, 000 peeps in my town. I have very good signal at home -70 to -80 but randomly my phone will switch to roaming, but whats really confusing to me is that my boyfriends s2 with virgin mobile will keep service just fine but for the life of me I won't be able to get my sprint s3 to connect to the tower a block away. Irritating.

I never heard of any sites being turned down in the off peak hours for economic reasons, but during the off-peak hours are when most updates and switch work is done.  The switch techs push out the updates and restart sites when there is less of a load on the site.  Fewer users up in the dead of the night to interfere with fewer user.  Now of course there are also times when a tech is out troubleshooting during the day and will need to take a site or a sector or radio down to complete the repair.

• Like 1

It is also very possible that the 3rd party backhaul or line/ power source has been doing something funky late at night.  My commcast broadband use to go to hell in the wee hours of the morning every day or so for no good reason (when I was younger and stayed up late).  

It was the one time where hearing the national anthem was depressing.

Anyone whose ever watched Poltergeist even in more modern times at least should get it however.

It was the one time where hearing the national anthem was depressing.

Anyone whose ever watched Poltergeist even in more modern times at least should get it however.

"They're here," and by "they," I mean Rukin1 and maximus1987...

:P

AJ

• Like 1