NV Completion pushed back to middle of 2014

Interestingly, in the filing Sprint also said it has been "experiencing increased data usage driven by more subscribers on the Sprint platform and a continuing shift in our subscriber base to smartphones, which has required additional capital expenditures of legacy 3G Sprint platform equipment (legacy equipment). As we deploy Network Vision, we intend to maximize the use of previously deployed legacy equipment when possible; however, based on our capacity needs during the implementation period of Network Vision, we expect additional legacy equipment expenditures that will not be utilized beyond the final deployment of Network Vision's multi-mode technology, which is expected to continue through the middle of 2014."

Read more: Sprint pushes back Network Vision completion date to mid-2014 - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-envisions-completing-network-vision-mid-2014/2013-08-06#ixzz2bHsDQWyz 
Subscribe at FierceWireless

The delay, I'd assume, is due to the massive increase in 2.5 plans. It's also interesting that while building out NV, they're still increasing the capacity of\improving the legacy network.

• Like 2

I don't see the PR as a negative either.  

I am a bit surprised though that we haven't seen or heard much from Sprint and Softbank... almost seems "status quo" I also understand its been less than a week or so since SoftBank.  I guess I just need to understand and wait :-)   

The delay, I'd assume, is due to the massive increase in 2.5 plans. It's also interesting that while building out NV, they're still increasing the capacity of\improving the legacy network.

I wish they had done it a bit differently. As in deploy LTE in the most capacity constrained areas first, then the second most and so on! and of course deploy enhanced backhaul everywhere even before LTE was deployed in the area.

Before getting locked yesterday, I read in that that there were over 30,000 sites in some sort of NV progress (if it is the same article)... THAT seems like good news to me..

• Like 2

Before getting locked yesterday, I read in that that there were over 30,000 sites in some sort of NV progress (if it is the same article)... THAT seems like good news to me..

A number like that was reported in their 2nd quarter financial conerence call, so it's old news as of now.

Im not surprised, Im in Houston, arguably one of the markets which should be farther ahead and im not impressed with NV here. I get anywhere from 1.5-3mbps on LTE here including one of the towers that I was right across the street from. Id had Sprint since this last December and I will say that in those last 8 months Ive only seen a handful of improvements, I can't imagine a fully built out completed NV even here in houston in the next 10 months, I just don't see it.  

• Like 1

Well in NYC, a market that been under way for some time now and just recently launched, I've been seeing average speeds of 6-12 Mbps and peaks of 33Mbps. Looks like our experiences differ quite a bit.

my results are similar to yours for the most part - at times lte is sub 4mbps BUT again I'm not in a launched market - so I'm just happy to see it :-) 

A number like that was reported in their 2nd quarter financial conerence call, so it's old news as of now.

Well, with around 39000 sites in total -- if in the 2nd Q call they were in progress of some kind on 30000+ sites, that must mean we are now in progress on 30001 or more sites at this point... which seems like good new to me (less than 9000 to start on still)... real progress IMHO...

Well in NYC, a market that been under way for some time now and just recently launched, I've been seeing average speeds of 6-12 Mbps and peaks of 33Mbps. Looks like our experiences differ quite a bit.

I'll be in Brooklyn with my wife visiting friends in October. I can't wait to experience a launched NV Market.

I'll be in Brooklyn with my wife visiting friends in October. I can't wait to experience a launched NV Market.

You better hope you're in the right section. Cause I'm in Brooklyn now and Sprint's LTE while "officially" announced is still quite spotty. I was by Brooklyn College yesterday (Flatbush and Nostrand) Major intersection and No LTE.

From the article: "There are now more than 20,000 Network Vision sites on the air." & "The company said it now counts 30,000 sites that are ready for construction, are in the midst of construction or are already finished."

So that means 10,000 sites currently are ready to start work while 500 - 1000 probably have work going on. -ish. Another 8-9000 are not ready :-/
  • Like 1

You better hope you're in the right section. Cause I'm in Brooklyn now and Sprint's LTE while "officially" announced is still quite spotty. I was by Brooklyn College yesterday (Flatbush and Nostrand) Major intersection and No LTE.

We're out there to see Pearl Jam at the Barclays Center - looked like decent coverage on Sensorly...

I was there on Friday and had LTE but it is spotty because the tower is down Nostrand past the Junction.

We're out there to see Pearl Jam at the Barclays Center - looked like decent coverage on Sensorly...

BC has its own micro LTE site indoors. The area around it (Downtown Brooklyn) barely has LTE. You might pick it up. 3G performance should be great though.

Dont keep your hopes up.

For 3G, Manhattan is still absolute garbage. I was in Boston two weeks ago and one location was great (1mb) but another had me sub 100kbs.

(Im on a wimax, so no lte experience).

Dont keep your hopes up.

For 3G, Manhattan is still absolute garbage. I was in Boston two weeks ago and one location was great (1mb) but another had me sub 100kbs.

I'm used to those 3G "speeds" in St. Louis - except I'm lucky to crack ~500kbps.

I can't wait for this to all be over because I know it'll be worth the wait, but getting there is hard.

• Like 1

From the article: "There are now more than 20,000 Network Vision sites on the air." & "The company said it now counts 30,000 sites that are ready for construction, are in the midst of construction or are already finished."

So that means 10,000 sites currently are ready to start work while 500 - 1000 probably have work going on. -ish. Another 8-9000 are not ready :-/

Sprint only has ~38k sites total, at last count. I think your math lines up, but I'm kinda confused.

After all, what they're saying makes sense. Not only are they replacing the base station cabinets and other equipment (what digi likes to call panels), as well as antennas, install new radios for LTE, get backhaul for LTE... and then install new carrier cards for LTE on 800 MHz, and now on 2500 MHz - while also building out additional sites and small cells for 2500 MHz. It really isn't an overnight job, or a "flip the switch" kind of thing.

Additionally, when there's a discrepancy between work being done and a NV site being "on-air", it's often due to the fact that NV 3G sites are brought up in "clusters". The new equipment has problems handing off to the legacy equipment in certain markets.

Dont keep your hopes up.

Once again, I'd like to disagree. I was in Lower Manhattan by South Street Seaport and Midtown by the Circle Line over the weekend.. Because of the number of sites in those areas, speeds weren't half bad. I experienced near 900Kbps on legacy equipment in Lower Manhattan with an occasional LTE signal shooting across the East River. 

I had 4G while waiting for the Circle Line and it also appeared at random times while I was on the boat.

• Like 1

I was there on Friday and had LTE but it is spotty because the tower is down Nostrand past the Junction.

Ah okay makes sense cause on Avenue H and Utica I was getting 19Mbps down. I guess they'll work it out. Maybe T-Mo's Q2 numbers will scare the $hit out of them. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/t-mobile-us-reports-second-quarter-2013-results-2013-08-08

It's time for Sprint to wake up and smell the churn

Ah okay makes sense cause on Avenue H and Utica I was getting 19Mbps down. I guess they'll work it out. Maybe T-Mo's Q2 numbers will scare the $hit out of them. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/t-mobile-us-reports-second-quarter-2013-results-2013-08-08

It's time for Sprint to wake up and smell the churn

Wait, are you really implying that the Sprint execs are ignorant of - or worse, willfully ignorant of - the current churn rates and customer issues?