Broadband options for Rural areas that aren't really rural??

vandi

So instead about bitching about "why hate ISPs" let's talk about working around them?

I pretend to be an IT consultant for a historical farm north of Charlotte NC(Huntersville).

They are lucky enough to have AT*T DSL so they have two DSL lines and pay what seems like out the a** for them.  AT*T has promised that they can get u-verse.  Well.  This weekend we had our third attempt.  This time was far different from the first two, where they line guys came out checked the line and said.. yeah... not going to happen, way too far.  Thinking that possibly technologies has improved some in the las 6 months or so, and 7 different folks saying.. yeah no problem! you qualify.  The installer comes out and starts ripping out the DSL lines and just goes forward to putting in u-verse.  I guess he ran into some problems and Saturday, we had a line repair guy come out and did he best to see what he could do, but the best he could come up with was 9,000 some odd feet(max seems to currently be maybe 3000-3500 ft) and on top of it, the gage of the copper was not going to work even if we were 3000 ft.  Thankfully, he got our DSL lines back up and running.  

Cable is out, as it doesn't come any where near the farm.  It's possible we could get u-verse to come some where close (neighboring house) and the do a wireless transmission to the farm house. But it's very wooded area so the poles would have to be very high.

The other thing I was thinking about is what it would take to bring in an EIA circuit (if it's even possible) and serve as an mini wireless ISP for the neighbors of the farm, there is a potential for about 10-15 houses that might have some interest to have something somewhat better than DSL(or even dialup in some cases)

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction.  Any other possible options?

Thanks! 

Check if there's a local WISP!

Edit: I take it you guys are outside of Clear's coverage?

Yes, outside of Clear.  Also, I need to have pretty low latency.  I have them setup with voip for their phone system.   

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction.  Any other possible options?

Yeah.  Go without.  Ditch money grubbing Baby Bells and Big Cable so that they fail.  And elect non crony politicians who understand that fiber to every building is a public works prerogative.

AJ

Yeah.  Go without.  Ditch money grubbing Baby Bells and Big Cable so that they fail.  And elect non crony politicians who understand that fiber to every building is a public works prerogative.

AJ

Yeah, it would be nice to go without, but it is a non-profit business, and have events that request internet access.

Yeah, there is one option.. ncren/mcnc who has one of their charters of bringing internet to rural areas. They normally concentrate on Public organizations and got their start supporting network/videos to the universities in NC.  I actually used to work for them over a decade ago when they had their supercomputing center.

I may ask then and see how they can help, but since we are just a non-profit, and not a public sector group, not sure if they can help.

I do like the WISP idea, but clear is not in the area, and not sure if there is anything else in the area.  

How hard is it to setup a big pipe and sell WISP based service to other houses in the area?  There is probably a couple dozen houses with-in a mile.  and I know most of them dont' have access to DSL.  This is the location that I'm talking about http://goo.gl/maps/X5b0Z  

I live in an area like this.  Satellite isn't really any better of an option than mobile broadband...in fact, I think it's worse.

Luckily, I'm supposed to get DSL sometime in October 2014.  The state of PA has agreements with the ILECs to provide DSL to every customer by 12/31/2015.  Read more here: http://www.puc.state.pa.us/general/consumer_ed/pdf/broadband_brochure.pdf

and here http://www.newpa.com/community/broadband-initiatives/request-broadband-service .

It's PA Act 183.  Don't know how legislators ever got it to pass!

The key is that it is DSL, not DOCSIS.  Had it been the latter, Comcast, headquartered in your state, would have gotten its lobbyists to squash it.  Many lobbyists, like many lawyers -- and, not surprisingly, many lobbyists are lawyers -- are mercenary scum of the earth.  They frequently advocate and defend lies and garbage that deserve nothing.

AJ

The key is that it is DSL, not DOCSIS. Had it been the latter, Comcast, headquartered in your state, would have gotten its lobbyists to squash it. Many lobbyists, like many lawyers -- and, not surprisingly, many lobbyists are lawyers -- are mercenary scum of the earth. They frequently advocate and defend lies and garbage that deserve nothing.

AJ

I don't understand how lobbyists have so much power; they can only LOBBY, right?

How does THAT turn into the power to write laws?

Campaign contributions are obviously bribes do I could see lobbyists being hired to "hint" how a certain corp wants the vote to go.

It's not as if ATT, sprint, etc will donate to your campaign if you're not doing what they want.

The key is that it is DSL, not DOCSIS.  Had it been the latter, Comcast, headquartered in your state, would have gotten its lobbyists to squash it.  Many lobbyists, like many lawyers -- and, not surprisingly, many lobbyists are lawyers -- are mercenary scum of the earth.  They frequently advocate and defend lies and garbage that deserve nothing.

AJ

True, but it's still better than nothing! (about DSL vs. DOCSIS).

It has something to do with the fact that landline telephone service is federally regulated. 

I live in an area like this.  Satellite isn't really any better of an option than mobile broadband...in fact, I think it's worse.

Luckily, I'm supposed to get DSL sometime in October 2014.  The state of PA has agreements with the ILECs to provide DSL to every customer by 12/31/2015.  Read more here: http://www.puc.state.pa.us/general/consumer_ed/pdf/broadband_brochure.pdf

and here http://www.newpa.com/community/broadband-initiatives/request-broadband-service .

256Kbps DSL maybe?

• Like 1

You have to get either 50 people OR 25% of the customers in a certain exchange area to sign up for 1 year for them to start the buildout.  There were 19 addresses in my area.  I only had to find 4 total.  Was not difficult!  I can only imagine what it must cost Verizon to build out DSL (have to build remote terminals, rub fiber, etc) to only have a guarantee of 4 customers!

You have to get either 50 people OR 25% of the customers in a certain exchange area to sign up for 1 year for them to start the buildout. There were 19 addresses in my area. I only had to find 4 total. Was not difficult! I can only imagine what it must cost Verizon to build out DSL (have to build remote terminals, rub fiber, etc) to only have a guarantee of 4 customers!

Is this a state-specific or company specfic law?

I don't understand how lobbyists have so much power; they can only LOBBY, right?

How does THAT turn into the power to write laws?

When the electorate sends so many "aw, shucks" country doctors and lawyers to Congress, many of those politicians are ill equipped to deal with specialized legislation.  So, the lobby practically writes the laws for them.

AJ

When the electorate sends so many "aw, shucks" country doctors and lawyers to Congress, many of those politicians are ill equipped to deal with specialized legislation. So, the lobby practically writes the laws for them.

AJ

Shouldn't the politicians at least read the lobbyist-written laws or read the summaries the law interns write for them?

Do you have an order mag estimate to install dal for X people (for the telco)?

You mean approx. how many?  No, ... I'm sure the number is available, but I don't have it.

The law also states "they" will only work on 40 BFRR ("bona fide retail request") projects in a 12-month period.  OR, 20 projects that they deemed a "major" project.  If your area was considered a major project (which of course mine was), they have an additional 12 months.  In October 2012 I was put on a waiting list...started at #47.  Last time I checked, a few weeks ago, we were #31 on the list.  Construction/planning will start when we reach #20, or it becomes 12 months from our threshold met date.  Whichever happens first.

Shouldn't the politicians at least read the lobbyist-written laws or read the summaries the law interns write for them?

If a politician, for example, deems the Internet a "series of tubes," does his reading the largely lobby written legislation make any difference?  He is probably not competent to assess the quality and effect of said legislation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes

AJ

• Like 1

I have to say, I am not impressed with uverse. I used to have ATT dsl 6mbps for $30 month. Then uverse came along and 24mbps was available but only if you're super close to their distribution point. Sad. We could only get 18mbps for much more $$

Then Comcast says "25 Mbps for $30"

Hmmmm

I honestly can't see how uverse is thriving. I think it says more about comcast's incompetence than ATT's marketing skill.

"Oh but uverse is being upgraded to 45mbps and then 100 Mbps.... if you're close enough to their box"

But Comcast already has those speeds so...

?