FreedomPop - Now in tri-band LTE

iansltx

Well I tried to activate a pre-purchased Sprint MiFI 500 on freedompop, but they emailed me and said they only activate ones sold by them.

What does this mean for reselling?  If someone has a legitimate freedompop mifi on their account and then sell it, can the new buyer activate it on his account?   It would have been originally purchased from freedompop, but obviously freedompop wouldn't make any money from the 2nd sale.  I think I asked this somewhere else but can't remember if anyone knew the answer. 

What does this mean for reselling?  If someone has a legitimate freedompop mifi on their account and then sell it, can the new buyer activate it on his account?   It would have been originally purchased from freedompop, but obviously freedompop wouldn't make any money from the 2nd sale.  I think I asked this somewhere else but can't remember if anyone knew the answer. 

IIRC you dont actually buy the device from Freedom pop but rather they allow you to use it after you pay a deposit.

Just got my Tri-Band FreedomPop MiFi 500 today (Saturday)!  They just slapped a "FreedomPop" sticker over where it should say Sprint on the box :lol: , and pre-opened the box to put in their leaflet on how to get connected to the device :ninja:  It came pre-activated, it said it was activated on the 10th of October.  So far so good - I was surprised that I got an LTE signal from where I am at: I did a Speedtest with these stats: Signal strength (RSRP): -112 dBm, Signal quality (RSRQ): -11 dB

3030248548.png

Typing this while connected to the MiFi 500 that came in yesterday. No trace of FreedomPop branding anywhere, other than connecting through the mvno189 gateway. The device came pre-activated...looks like it got activated when it shipped. So I have 25 days from today to use 4.23 GB of data. I suppose I'll find a way...

The device seems to pull a signal a little better than my phone, which is as expected. nothing earth-shattering, but a few more db SNR.

I can't find a way to force the device to a particular band, though I've already turned it to LTE only mode. I've asked for the MSL because the HA is set such that all my traffic is routing through LA when it should be routing through Houston or Fort Worth...we'll see if I get the MSL from them.

• Like 1

Got mine on Friday and just started putting it through its paces yesterday. So far the hotspot switches from 3g to LTE without any issues. The performance is pretty good so far. I have seen it hold an LTE signal up to -131 dbm. I also speed tested in downtown Raleigh with a LTE signal of -113 dbm and got 4.67 down, 1.52 up and a ping of 423 ms. Not bad. My only negative is there is no way that I can find to indentify which LTE frequency you are on. Otherwise I'm happy!

Ran several speed test today. First I ran a couple of speed test on my evo and got 5-7 mbps d/l and 3-54u/l. I then hoocked the phone up to the MiFi and I consistently got 17 mbps d/l and 3 u/l. I had my wife run a speedtest on her One to validate and she got a consistent 12 d/l and 4 u/l. MiFi was also showing a steady -103 dbm.

Signed up Monday night and the MiFi was in my hands via SmartPost this afternoon. Haven't really gotten much of a chance to play with it but it definitely picks up LTE here (presumably band 25) at my office-away-from-the-office in Warner Robins.

• Like 2

Signed up Monday night and the MiFi was in my hands via SmartPost this afternoon. Haven't really gotten much of a chance to play with it but it definitely picks up LTE here (presumably band 25) at my office-away-from-the-office in Warner Robins.

That is some bull! 4 days? Waited 30 here.

YOU CAN'T. you must buy their LTE device for $149.

Just spoke with FreedomPop. Supposedly, you cannot port a Sprint Novatel MiFi 500 TriBand hotspot over to them.

I only spoke with one CS Rep, so I might have been given incorrect information.

I got the Overdrive Pro from them for $29.99 with 3GB for the first month.  Only pulls 3G (no wimax here).

but its consistently been around 1 mbps...

I'm on the 2GB plan for $19.99.....I was going to use it as a hotspot for my tablet, but I got the Sprint tab 3 with 2Gb for $15, so I might keep the ODP and drop the plan to the 500mb for $3.99.

Go to sprint and ask a rep to use eticket to look up your msl with the ESN. I believe they just use sprint equipment ( correct me if I'm wrong) and eticket shows the msl whether the device is active or not.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has posted in here for a while but I've had the Freedompop Mifi 500 LTE for a month now and it's working well. I did miss the cutoff for downgrading so I'm on the 2GB plan for another month. I plan on downgrading to the 500MB LTE/3G plan ($3.99) and I also have the data rollover option ($3.99) so for $8 a month having some data when I'm out of the house for my Note 8, it's not a bad deal. I've never had any prepaid phones or hotspots before so maybe this is true in other cases but I didn't get charged any taxes. I'm not sure why but it sounds good to me.  

PSA: The data rollover will let you rollover up to 500MB per month and you can "store" up to 20GB of data total. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...