A busy site near me

http://db.tt/F92IWFlf

The building sits square N, S, E and W. The pictures start of the north face. There's AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Nextel (well, kinda) on this roof. Of particular note is the number of antenna and RRU Sprint has in the "northern hemisphere". There are four antenna and eight RRUs pointed between NW and NE.

In the Samsung description thread, I saw every combination of RRU and antenna up until this.

Ideas?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I'd wager $1000-$1900 per month for each carrier. 6 carriers = $6000-12000k per month.  Now depends how the leases are written. Normally, rent would go up a few % every year.  This Landlord is making some nice spending change.

One a side note. One of our properties was used by a internet company for WiFi.  Cant totally remember the name- it was early 2000's.  They wired up the whole building/neighborhood and soon after the dot com bust went bankrupt. At least we got a few years rent out of the deal.      

• Like 1

Verizon built a clock tower up the street. It's a little more centrally located on campus. They used to have a COW there for many, many years, but they finally built a real structure. Then again, Sprint and a few others are on the next big building, so I'm not sure who really wins there.

The municipalities around here get up to $3,500 from a cell company. Then again, I won't pay more than $500 for a really useful site. Most of mine are under $150/site/month.

Would better pictures help identify what Sprint is doing here? Not sure I can get much better angles or zoom, but I can try to take them when it's daylight as opposed to almost night. That'd get more clear and bright shots.

Here's the full DropBox folder of my tower pics. Sprint is new to University Plaza and I couldn't easily identify the antennas there as the carriers aren't separated well. GYP is another site that Sprint shares. I hope to have equipment on GYP soon. The other towers are just other work I've been involved with.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ryic1jggz83pei9/IkS6gJVpIZ

Stupid copy + paste failed...

Edited by mhammett

Would better pictures help identify what Sprint is doing here? Not sure I can get much better angles or zoom, but I can try to take them when it's daylight as opposed to almost night. That'd get more clear and bright shots.

Here's the full DropBox folder of my tower pics. Sprint is new to University Plaza and I couldn't easily identify the antennas there as the carriers aren't separated well. The other towers are just other work I've been involved with.

http://www.troll.me/images/its-a-celebrationzstar/its-a-celebration-bitches.jpg

Is this the site that provides service to most of NIU?

Sent from my EVO LTE

Is this the site that provides service to most of NIU?

Sent from my EVO LTE

This one and a new one will service the campus and surrounding student housing. A couple others get the rest of DeKalb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little off the subject but...I'm about 10 miles south of Dekalb and have been watching the Sprint coverage map waiting for 4g Lte to cover my area. 2 days ago the map shows good coverage for 4g lte, the tower on lee road is close by. Problem is I can't connect to 4g Lte yet.

I'm using a U770 (Plug-In-Connect Tri-Mode USB) on Sprint from Millenicom provider.

If the sprint coverage map now shows coverage in my area shouldn't I be able to get it?

A little off the subject but...I'm about 10 miles south of Dekalb and have been watching the Sprint coverage map waiting for 4g Lte to cover my area. 2 days ago the map shows good coverage for 4g lte, the tower on lee road is close by. Problem is I can't connect to 4g Lte yet.

I'm using a U770 (Plug-In-Connect Tri-Mode USB) on Sprint from Millenicom provider.

If the sprint coverage map now shows coverage in my area shouldn't I be able to get it?

Go into the admin settings of the aircard and see if it scans and finds an LTE signal.

Hopefully soon, it showed 4g Lte coverage on the sprint coverage map just a few days ago.

That map really exaggerates.

That's for sure.. I don't know exactly what equations they are using to calculate coverage, but something is definitely off. Unless they fix it, treat any area listed as having "fair" LTE as no LTE. Even then, take the "best" LTE coverage with a grain of salt.

The reason that they have Waterman shown as covered with LTE is due to a 4G accepted tower just northwest of Somonauk. You can tell this due to it being where the center of the purple circle shown on Sprint's official coverage map is. Incidentally, that appears to be only a 2-sector site due to it not being a perfect circle (still 3G to the SW of that spot). That site is 4-5 miles south of Waterman. LTE on 1900 MHz usually becomes too weak to be usable about 2 miles from a site, so your experience of not picking up LTE makes sense. You may one day get LTE from that site once 800 LTE is activated there, but that has not been deployed anywhere yet.

There are two sites nearer to you (including the one on Lee Rd.) that have not yet been 4G accepted, both within about 2 miles from downtown Waterman. If you can spare a few dollars to become a sponsor, you can follow the progress of all the sites in your area to know exactly when they receive LTE.

Sprint may think they are successfully pulling a fast one by showing all this LTE coverage vis-à-vis AT&T and VZW, but it's really just leading to bunch of angry and confused customers.

• Like 1

LTE on 1900 MHz usually becomes too weak to be usable about 2 miles from a site

I routinely pick up LTE 1900 in an area where the nearest accepted tower is 4.75 miles away. The one I'm actually talking to may very well be 8. I only get 3 megs, but around here, that's a God-send.

I routinely pick up LTE 1900 in an area where the nearest accepted tower is 4.75 miles away. The one I'm actually talking to may very well be 8. I only get 3 megs, but around here, that's a God-send.

Well that's good to hear. They must have your downtilts adjusted well. Since that's hardly faster than NV 3G Ev-DO, I'd still classify that as "fair" coverage rather than "best", but I understand 3G speeds stink in DeKalb at the moment. What's your RSRP when you're pulling 3 down?

Well that's good to hear. They must have your downtilts adjusted well. Since that's hardly faster than NV 3G Ev-DO, I'd still classify that as "fair" coverage rather than "best", but I understand 3G speeds stink in DeKalb at the moment. What's your RSRP when you're pulling 3 down?

Those towers are. Another and if I'm more than 2 miles away, I go to towers 7 miles away.