Intelligent Computing Solutions, DeKalb, IL

maximus1987/lou99

MVDDS has a range of 5 miles, so it won't be of much help for real rural areas. 5 GHz and maybe the new 3550 band are the best hope for fixed rural broadband. 3550 would be adding another 100 MHz to 3650. There's several hundred MHz in 5 GHz, but too many of them have low power limits restricting them to maybe 6 or 7 miles for PtMP. Hoping to get some more space in 5 GHz brought in and at a higher power. I think the unlicensed 10 GHz proposal may have had enough power to go more than 5 miles, but I am far from certain on that.

Why do you think they shut down OMGFAST? It was offering 50mbps for $30/month.

Is it a viable competitor to Comcast?

Last fall, Cablevision sold its MVDDS spectrum to Dish Network (Nasdaq: DISH) as part of a settlement of a contract dispute, and it has been leasing the spectrum licenses from Dish in order to operate OMGFAST.

I'm not sure what the contract dispute was, but that's why.

Hopefully dish does something cause it owns ALL - I think - MVDDS.

This seems to be a perfect fit for its home broadband ambitions. Sure it's not the same as 2.5 ghz but way better than nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVDDS

MDS America has most of the rest of the licenses. I think it said there were some smaller winners as well.

It does sound great for LOS-capable areas. I could do a lot with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVDDS

MDS America has most of the rest of the licenses. I think it said there were some smaller winners as well.

It does sound great for LOS-capable areas. I could do a lot with that.

Wiki says there's a 200 km Max radius.

The MDSA two-way system competes against satellite internet access; the shorter round trip distance of only a few hundred kilometers reduces the latency compared with a geostationary satellite's 44,000 mile 250ms latency. The MDSA system has the disadvantage of requiring infrastructure closer to the user - a satellite can cover a significant proportion of the country, instead of the maximum 200 km radius of an MDSA base station. However since the MDSA signal can be sectorized, MDSA's bandwidth, unlike that of satellite, can be multiplied in most geographical areas. For video distribution, this means that local channels and local advertising can be injected into the signal, unlike with DBS satellite systems.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDS_America

Edited by qpotlk1134

Are they coming on as fiber line or fixed wireless?

Fixed wireless. Redundant 100 megs to one cluster of buildings and hopefully within a year, another redundant 100 megs to their building under construction.

Do you know how many towers omgfast built?

I don't, no.

What if dish were to lease out its 20x20 band 23 spectrum? Would you and other wisps be interested?

Some would be, sure. Enough? Not sure. There's not a lot of spectrum there, but its clean. 2 GHz is kinda high for foliage penetration, but its clean. Probably not a lot of low cost gear available.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Does this help you?

FCC changes rules in 57-64 GHz band to enhance wireless backhaul

Read more: FCC changes rules in 57-64 GHz band to enhance wireless backhaul - FierceBroadbandWireless http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/fcc-changes-rules-57-64-ghz-band-enhance-wireless-backhaul/2013-08-09#ixzz2bZtV1Bb9

Subscribe at FierceBroadbandWireless

Does this help you?

FCC changes rules in 57-64 GHz band to enhance wireless backhaul

Read more: FCC changes rules in 57-64 GHz band to enhance wireless backhaul - FierceBroadbandWireless http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/fcc-changes-rules-57-64-ghz-band-enhance-wireless-backhaul/2013-08-09#ixzz2bZtV1Bb9

Subscribe at FierceBroadbandWireless

Not immediately, but as I grow it will.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Semi-OT, but...

On the show today Kirk Kirkpatrick.

Mr. Kirkpatrick has been representing and deploying MVDDS systems since 1998 in various markets around the globe. Kirk Kirkpatrick started MDS America, Incorporated in 2000 after working in information technology industry for 15 years. He is responsible for the strategic direction of the company and also oversees MDSA legal and business relationships

Mr. Kirkpatrick worked hand-in-hand with the FCC and Congress to ensure legal and equitable access to the 12.0 GHz to 12.7 GHz spectrum in the US and to ensure that this spectrum would go to auction as required by law.

MDS America designs, manufactures, installs, and maintains Digital MVDDS (Multichannel Video and Data Distribution Service) Wireless Broadcasting systems for telecommunications operators worldwide. MDSA provides a turnkey solution including system design, site survey, coverage survey, onsite installation, training and support. MDSA is the pioneer in the MVDDS market. MVDDS  is a type of television and Internet delivery technology licensed for use in the United States by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).  MDSA was a major contributor to this docket.
This terrestrial based wireless transmission method reuses frequencies also used by Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) for distribution of multichannel video and data over large distances.
The spectrum is in the 12.2 - 12.7 GHz range, offering fast downloads but requiring other frequencies for uploads. It is  a potential competitor to cable for delivery of triple play or triple-threat services (voice, data, video). MDS America has built the largest MVDDS systems in the world, including the 700 channel capacity system for E-Vision in the United Arab Emirates. MDSA is the only company worldwide to build commercial MVDDS systems.
MDS America provides the premiere solution for transmission and reception based on over 16 years of experience in MVDDS type terrestrial broadcasting technology. Network configuration varies according to the exact needs and business plan model of the operator. Whether it is a 12 TV channel broadcasting system or a 300 channel broadcasting system, MDS America is the international go-to solution provider.

MDS America was the leader of the 98-206 FCC rule making that legalized MVDDS in the US
MDS America subsequently participated in the auction if frequencies and we successfully bought 80 of 214 DMAs in the US.
MDS America built the nationwide cable TV system for the United Arab Emirates. (Dubai) The system is carrying 365 television channels but has a capacity of over 700 channels wirelessly.

Listen in live at 8am MST today at http://www.rockstarradionetwork.com/shows/ispradio or download the pod cast there to listen at your convenience.

Steven Grabiel
ISP Radio Host