Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

If I use a nano-to-micro sim adapter, could I remove the sim from my iPhone 5 and use it in the N5 - keeping my existing line and plan but just switching phones? I was definitely able to do that with the GSM carriers, but I'm not sure how that works with CDMA.

Actually I understand why Sprint doesn't allow hotspot (without paying for it). Since we get unlimited data, wouldn't want a few people abusing the network etc.

But for carriers with data buckets, it makes no sense. If I'm paying for 2GB of data, it doesn't matter how I use it.

Yeah, Sprint is in a bit of a unique position as far as being unlimited, so I can see why they don't want people using 100s of GB tethered.  I would however like it if they introduced something like...2GB included in plans for tethering, or if nothing else, some other kind of capped tethering amount for a smaller fee.

• Like 1

Yeah, Sprint is in a bit of a unique position as far as being unlimited, so I can see why they don't want people using 100s of GB tethered. I would however like it if they introduced something like...2GB included in plans for tethering, or if nothing else, some other kind of capped tethering amount for a smaller fee.

This is exactly what T-Mobile just did:

- For the basic 500mb plan, you get 500mb hotspot (meaning you can use up the 500mb however you want, through the phone or hotspot.

- For the 2.5gb plan, it's the same, you also get 2.5gb hotspot.

- For the unlimited plan (what is comparable with Sprint) you get 2.5gb hotspot.

This is how it should be.

• Like 1

Just tried two stores for a sim card. First store had no idea what a nexus 5 was, second store immediately told me no. I feel like I should just pick back up monday...

Did either of those stores offer repair services?

SUCCESS!!!  Once I had the right place, it went quick.  Here is what you need to do to get a SIM mailed to you:

• Call 1-888-226-7212
  • At first voice prompt, Enter your phone number or confirm that you are calling from your phone
  • Press 2 for "otherwise..."
  • Press 2 for "International voice or data service"
  • Then you will go into the call queue and wait for an operator

Explain that you need a SIM card for your new Nexus 5 that you purchased directly from Google mailed to you and that you are unable to visit a store to get one.  They couldn't find the Nexus 5 in the system, but they checked with a supervisor and found the same one that will work.  They even said it would come via FedEx, but probably wouldn't go out until Monday or Tuesday.  All for no charge!  I had to pay $20 for my Tmo SIM.

Robert

This did work and thank you. The SIM cards are backordered and I'll get one in the mail in a week they said. I just may go to a Sprint store and see if they have any when my phone shows up. Thanks again! :)

Did either of those stores offer repair services?

They were the only ones I bothered calling. In suburban DC, almost all of the official sprint stores have repair centers. It makes sense if they don't have any since UPS doesn't deliver on the weekends (usually).

They were the only ones I bothered calling. In suburban DC, almost all of the official sprint stores have repair centers. It makes sense if they don't have any since UPS doesn't deliver on the weekends (usually).

Yeah, the store I called said they probably wouldn't have any until Monday, I can't wait to walk in with my phone and ask for a sim card....

ee67ed329e3e060137954b8bbb855d0a.jpg

I agree in part. It should not be that difficult, but it almost always is difficult -- especially when dealing with tens of thousands of front line employees, almost none of whom have any wireless engineering expertise.

AJ

I get what you are saying and I admittedly have never worked in that environment so I have no idea how it works. I just made the presumption that there has got to be some kind of a breakthrough capability technically on their computer screens that alerts them to a specific script whenever the customer utters the term Nexus 5. I have worked on the design side of some call centers and I know that they typically have digital signage monitors throughout the call clusters that they use to flash important information to their operators. I could be totally wrong and none of that exists in the Sprint environment. I really have no way to know that.

I really think this needs to be clarified:

Will old USIMs in the GS4 and HTC One work in the Nexus 5/Can they be converted into CSIMs?

This has been asked a few times in this thread, but I don't think its been answered.

• Like 1

Y'all need to stop bragging about your N5s already shipping. My G2 which is supposed to be the first triband phone is still showing no progress besides being at the warehouse since October 11th. I'm getting a bit jealous. Y'all just stop.. Seriously. Like right now.

Woow. 3 to 4 weeks to ship the 16gb N5

If you do not want to wait at Google Play, Best Buy will have the 16 GB Nexus 5 available on the November 8 street date next week for the off contract low price of $800.  Woot woot!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nexus-5-with-16gb-memory-mobile-phone/2820006.p?id=1219078632516&skuId=2820006&st=nexus%205&cp=1&lp=1&contract_desc=

AJ

• Like 1

Y'all need to stop bragging about your N5s already shipping. My G2 which is supposed to be the first triband phone is still showing no progress besides being at the warehouse since October 11th. I'm getting a bit jealous. Y'all just stop.. Seriously. Like right now.

Well, I have pending both G2 and Nexus 5 orders.  Take that, The Dave!

:P

AJ

• Like 1

If you do not want to wait at Google Play, Best Buy will have the 16 GB Nexus 5 available on the November 8 street date next week for the off contract low price of $800.  Woot woot!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nexus-5-with-16gb-memory-mobile-phone/2820006.p?id=1219078632516&skuId=2820006&st=nexus%205&cp=1&lp=1&contract_desc=

AJ

Thats ridiculus. I saw videos and articles about stores in the UK sellng it for less than retail so i was hoping the US would have some too...

Mine has made it to the local UPS hub.  I'm tempted to go into UPS My Choice and change the delivery to "Hold for will-call" and see if they call me to let me pick it up today.  However, i'm afraid i'd screw myself over and end up having to wait until after-hours Monday or Tuesday...

Does anyone know the answer to this questions: assuming the Nexus 5 doesn't come with an activatabe SIM and Sprint repair centers don't have SIMs when the phones start showing up on Monday, would there be any harm in activating the device online?  I'd assume it'd work over 3G and with voice, and when a SIM is available, it'd turn on LTE, right?

-david

• Like 1

Of course Sprint is being VERY efficient.  Turns out the my WRONG SIM is scheduled to be delivered to my home on the same UPS truck as my Nexus 5.  If it was the correct SIM, i'd be excited, but now i'm just annoyed...

Mine has made it to the local UPS hub.  I'm tempted to go into UPS My Choice and change the delivery to "Hold for will-call" and see if they call me to let me pick it up today.  However, i'm afraid i'd screw myself over and end up having to wait until after-hours Monday or Tuesday...

Does anyone know the answer to this questions: assuming the Nexus 5 doesn't come with an activatabe SIM and Sprint repair centers don't have SIMs when the phones start showing up on Monday, would there be any harm in activating the device online?  I'd assume it'd work over 3G and with voice, and when a SIM is available, it'd turn on LTE, right?

-david

I wouldn't do that, usually they are only open for a short window and its usually 2 hours at the end of the day.

Of course Sprint is being VERY efficient.  Turns out the my WRONG SIM is scheduled to be delivered to my home on the same UPS truck as my Nexus 5.  If it was the correct SIM, i'd be excited, but now i'm just annoyed...

Same thing happened to me. I'm going to be driving around trying to find a SIM card Monday afternoon.

Same thing happened to me. I'm going to be driving around trying to find a SIM card Monday afternoon.

I'm hoping the dude in the Willowbrook store who took down my name and number will call me Monday to say that he's holding a SIM card for me, but i'm not holding my breath.

Aerxx - since it looks like we live in the same neck-of-the-woods, please let me know if and where you find a SIM, and i'll do the same for you. :)

I'm hoping the dude in the Willowbrook store who took down my name and number will call me Monday to say that he's holding a SIM card for me, but i'm not holding my breath.

Aerxx - since it looks like we live in the same neck-of-the-woods, please let me know if and where you find a SIM, and i'll do the same for you. :)

This sounds like a plan! PM coming!

AJ

Can they really be serious about this...?  What a joke.  I was really hoping to use my trade-in from my Evo towards the Nexus 5. Now it looks like I'll have to wait another three to four weeks and order from the play store.  What a mess.

EDIT: This is also $100 more than the iPhone 5S... bleh.

I hope they go bankrupt soon, and on the day that happens I'm going drink until I $hit on my self .

Please use the quote function.  Otherwise, we cannot tell to which post you are replying.  At first glance, this comes across as a Sprint troll post.  But I do not think you intended it that way.

AJ

• Like 2