Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Can't you just use your GS4 SIM card in the N5?

Not sure. But even if I could, I don't wanna do it b/c I want my GS4 alive on Sprint. And I don't wanna add another line b/c it would jack up the price, more so than just using the $30 flat T-Mobile SIM card option.

Is that lte? I want to test T-Mobile in a few places and for 30 bucks I'd be willing to do it. Any one know how simple it would be to switch between sprint and T-Mobile and back again??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

According to the SIM card documentation, yes, it's 4g LTE. And T-Mobile coverage website says my area offers 4G LTE. :)

I want to caution people against bugging customer care too much or going apeshit over the SIM concern. Let it all play out. The Nexus 5 may be shipped with a SIM that you can use. Regardless, you will be able to activate the handset on Sprint, but you may need to exercise some patience.

This is the first cash and carry, unlocked Sprint handset in many years. Do not raise a ruckus and make Sprint question the decision to run with Google on this one. Like VZW, Sprint can just as easily decide to sit this one out next time. Then, we are back to the safe, easy to manage "walled garden" of devices.

AJ

This should be reposted every 20 or 30 posts.

Sprint is doing something new and outside their comfort zone. We should be patient and understand that there may be some hiccups in the process.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Called per guideline above and the person tried to help my however after checking they told me they don't have the Nexus 5 in the system yet and do not know what SIM it would need. They did however make a note to call me Monday and they think they will have the information by then. One question, I realized I have a Sprint micro SIM from a Samsung S4 that was exchanged (they told me to keep the SIM for some reason). Can I just use that one? Thanks.

My rep on the international 800# told me the same thing. I simply said that I participate in a forum where people already have the phone and the CZ2102LWR is confirmed to work. He said "well, I can sure order you one of those." It was free. Be here 11/7.

• Like 1

I want to caution people against bugging customer care too much or going apeshit over the SIM concern. Let it all play out. The Nexus 5 may be shipped with a SIM that you can use. Regardless, you will be able to activate the handset on Sprint, but you may need to exercise some patience.

This is the first cash and carry, unlocked Sprint handset in many years. Do not raise a ruckus and make Sprint question the decision to run with Google on this one. Like VZW, Sprint can just as easily decide to sit this one out next time. Then, we are back to the safe, easy to manage "walled garden" of devices.

AJ

While I can appreciate what you are saying at the same time, it can't be that hard for an executive at Sprint to say "this is the first time we've done it this way" and ensure that a company wide notice goes out explaining exactly how it will work and what to tell customers.

• Like 4

I'm jealous. Mine still says "Leaves warehouse by November 5, 2013."

Same here.  It's frustrating that they say they're going out first come, first served, yet I see people posting with vastly later order times than mine, and mine is till pending, hasn't changed a lick since I ordered.

I did order the 32GB Black, an most people who mention a model got a 16 GB variant...so I'm just telling myself that the 32s (for whatever reason) aren't going out as quickly, even if I have seen one or two claim theirs are on the way. :angry:

While I can appreciate what you are saying at the same time, it can't be that hard for an executive at Sprint to say "this is the first time we've done it this way" and ensure that a company wide notice goes out explaining exactly how it will work and what to tell customers.

I agree in part.  It should not be that difficult, but it almost always is difficult -- especially when dealing with tens of thousands of front line employees, almost none of whom have any wireless engineering expertise.

AJ

• Like 2

Same here.  It's frustrating that they say they're going out first come, first served, yet I see people posting with vastly later order times than mine, and mine is till pending, hasn't changed a lick since I ordered.

Distance wise, orders are not likely moving very far, if at all this weekend.  So, I would not get too hung up on the status updates.  An order "shipped" today may be little different from one "shipped" on Sunday.

AJ

Distance wise, orders are not likely moving very far, if at all this weekend.  So, I would not get too hung up on the status updates.  An order "shipped" today may be little different from one "shipped" on Sunday.

AJ

Ha, thanks, I'll keep telling myself that.  I mean, really, what's a day or two difference, but it's that "I WANT NEW SHINY THINGS NOW" feeling that usually wins over.

I noticed someone post some RF stats comparing the N5 and G2 (and something else, I forget what, I'll need to go back and look) a few pages back, and it seemed to indicate that the N5 appeared to be the stronger contender CDMA wise, but LTE the G2 beats it (on paper).  Did anyone else with a bit more expertise than myself see this, and care to comment on how much real world difference we're talking about, or if it'll even be noticable?

Edit:  Found the post:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4366-lg-google-nexus-5-lg-d820/page-56&do=findComment&comment=229799

According to the FCC, these are the RF maximum output for each of the Sprint bands.

LG G2                                                                   
RF ERP/EIRP maximum:                        
19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900),
23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900),
24.48 dBm (LTE 800),
17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)

Nexus 5 
RF ERP/EIRP Maximum:
23.10 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
30.00 dBm (CDMA1x/EV-DO 1900),
23.28-23.96 dBm (LTE 1900),
19.80-20.80 dBm (LTE 800),
20.81-21.71 dBm (LTE 2600)

And here's how the Galaxy S3 fairs via FCC documents.
Galaxy S3
17.78-20.77 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-Do 850),
23.85-24.05 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900),
21.62-22.01 dBm (LTE 1900)

I've highlighted each one with better numbers if we're pitting them against each other.  Hands down, Nexus 5 wins in CDMA/EvDo category, but LG G2 seems to have the edge in Triband.  

I think as long as you have the status as "Leaves warehouse November 5th" you should be getting it next week. 

Also, did anyone notice the White Nexus 5 has a White top speaker? I just noticed it on the unboxing reviews. I think it looks sweet. 

Mine just scanned out of Purgatory...ummm, I mean Louisville! Departure Scan, FTW!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

Mine just scanned out of Purgatory...ummm, I mean Louisville! Departure Scan, FTW!

Robert is asking for it. We may not be able to expedite the Nexus 5 shipments. But maybe we can redirect those ICBM silos in the Dakotas toward Rapid City if Robert gets a too big head.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Robert is asking for it. We may not be able to expedite the Nexus 5 shipments. But maybe we can redirect those ICBM silos in the Dakotas toward Rapid City if Robert gets a too big head.

:P

AJ

I now work in that biz, you know. ;)

Hey guys I just thought of something. How do you think the hotspot will work since the Nexus 5 straight from Google will not have the Sprint hotspot app. Do you think it will work similar to the nexus 4 on T-Mobile without the hotspot add on and need to add the profile change thingy in chrome to mask it?

If this question is in appropriate please delete the post.

Hey guys I just thought of something. How do you think the hotspot will work since the Nexus 5 straight from Google will not have the Sprint hotspot app. Do you think it will work similar to the nexus 4 on T-Mobile without the hotspot add on and need to add the profile change thingy in chrome to mask it?

I don't know, but I hope people don't/can't circumvent the hotspot feature without activating it ethically.  

I now work in that biz, you know. ;)

Wait, you get to have the Nexus 5 and the ICBMs? No fair!

AJ

• Like 2

AOSP ROMs have integrated Hotspot apps in the settings. They likely have an all in one hotspot baked in for each carrier's settings.

You can forget free hotspot usage with Sprint on the Nexus 5. You can't even do that with the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. With Tmo on the N4, you can turn on the hotspot and start using it without any issues. And if you use a small amount of data, all is good. But if you start streaming or running speed tests, you will get hit with a Tmo paywall in your browser window.

On Tmo it cost me $15 per month additional and I got to add hotspot usage to my plan. I paid the fee directly from the pay wall. I wasn't trying to bypass any charges, I just assumed that I could use my existing 5GB plan with the N4 hotspot feature. I didn't mind paying for my hotspot usage if required. But every month I would hit that pay wall again and have to pay for it. And this was on Tmo LTE. I didn't seem to hit the paywall on Tmo WCDMA.

I'm fully expecting the same thing with the N5. Whether on Sprint or Tmo. It will either be locked down and you have to add a hotspot plan, or you will be able to turn it on and connect, but hit an authorization screen in your browser that you must authenticate (or pay) to get an actual internet connection. It will probably be the latter, as a means to stop hacking the hotspot feature. They will allow you to turn it on and connect. But if you want to get through the internet gateway, you're going to have the appropriate plan or pay.

No free rides on the Nexus 5 train. Stealing free internet from Sprint is coming to an end. I'm sure someone will be able to find a way to hack it. However, why don't people pay for the services they use?

• Like 3

Actually I understand why Sprint doesn't allow hotspot (without paying for it). Since we get unlimited data, wouldn't want a few people abusing the network etc.

But for carriers with data buckets, it makes no sense. If I'm paying for 2GB of data, it doesn't matter how I use it.

• Like 1