Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Cool - were you able to retain your old plan or did you have to switch to one of the new ones? It sounds like you had it shipped to you - not picked up at a store, correct?

Correct, shipped right to my door. I was able to keep my current plan and everything. I had a data plan already that included unlimited messaging and data, obviously if you don't have a data plan you will HAVE to change since you're getting a smart phone.

that was probably before the new plans

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Yea. I didn't realize they overhauled their plans, I haven't changed in 2 years. If you sign a new contract, you will need to do a new plan.

True...

Has anyone done a pre-order since the new plans came out? G2 maybe?

I haven't seen the new plans. Are they going to make me switch if I sign a new 2 year upgrade? I just ordered my dad an iPhone on my plan ( added a Line) and they didn't make me change plans.

I'm currently on the family 1500 share plan, I think base price is 109 or 119 for 1500 minutes with free any mobile anytime.

I haven't seen the new plans. Are they going to make me switch if I sign a new 2 year upgrade? I just ordered my dad an iPhone on my plan ( added a Line) and they didn't make me change plans.

I'm currently on the family 1500 share plan, I think base price is 109 or 119 for 1500 minutes with free any mobile anytime.

Generally they won't make you change plans when renewing a contract. Not sure about what they do when pre-ordering though; that's what I'm trying to find out.

No idea about your plan specifically, but I have Sero-P, bought a Note 3 two weeks ago (later returned) and didn't have to change plans to activate it or go back to my Note 2.

Edited by Shiki8

No idea about your plan specifically, but I have Sero-P, bought a Note 3 two weeks ago (later returned) and didn't have to change plans to activate it or go back to my Note 2.

But you didn't pre-order, correct? That's what I'm trying to figure out - if pre-ordering requires a change in plans.

But you didn't pre-order, correct? That's what I'm trying to figure out - if pre-ordering requires a change in plans.

Sorry, I saw your post after I posted. No, I didn't, but I just went through the process and while it originally states you'll need to change your plan, that changes on the next screen. Will edit this post with screen shot in a second :)

Mind you, I have to call into employee services to activate the phone when I receive it, but if you have an LTE phone on your current plan, I don't think it should be a problem.

jblc.jpg

Edited by Shiki8
  • Like 1

Sorry, I saw your post after I posted. No, I didn't, but I just went through the process and while it originally states you'll need to change your plan, that changes on the next screen. Will edit this post with screen shot in a second :)

Mind you, I have to call into employee services to activate the phone when I receive it, but if you have an LTE phone on your current plan, I don't think it should be a problem.

jblc.jpg

Interesting - thanks!

I'm really confused by all the information I am reading here. I ordered the Nexus 5 through the Google Play Store. I've read multiple posts where people say that you can activate the phone online once you receive it. I've also read other posts saying that the phone does not come with a SIM card that you have to go to a Sprint corporate store in order to get one. Can someone explain this? Is it true that the phone will be non-functional when I receive it until I get it to a sprint corporate store to get a SIM card?

phone doesn't come with a sim card, need to go to a repair store to get one. Don't know cost (if any) or if the repair stores even have the sim cards. This is what I know.

lol This^ I just hope it doesn't take until 2014 for all Sprint employees to be aware of this info

Edited by Shiki8

And what's funny is I am looking at the Nexus 5 thinking to myself that it better have some damn good RF performance to overcome the small screen.

My thoughts exactly, replacing the N5 with a G2 in your scenario.

But then you can't keep Sero lol

Buy Nexus 5 32GB from Google $400 and some change

Buy iphone 5s with upgrade from Sprint for $200, wait a few weeks for delivery, easily sell it sealed for $650

That's a free Nexus 5 32GB and some leftover change :)

Edit - Oh and you get to keep the Nexus 5 this way...

This is what I did with an upgrade on one of my lines. :) Except my gold one almost paid for two N5s!

Now I need to upgrade my home WiFi, so I can get that 100Mbps speeds on my new Nexus 5.  Yeehaw!

Robert

No, Sir. Sprint Spark, though may be capable of producing those speeds, is not the same as wifi. ;)

No, Sir. Sprint Spark, though may be capable of producing those speeds, is not the same as wifi. ;)

It pains me to have 100Mbps internet service at home, but I have no devices that can support those speeds via WiFi. I have to plug in to get speeds above 35Mbps or so.

Robert

It pains me to have 100Mbps internet service at home, but I have no devices that can support those speeds via WiFi. I have to plug in to get speeds above 35Mbps or so.

Robert

Gotchya.  I was mostly being funny though (or, trying to anyway).   :)

Robert

Curious, who do you have for your home internet service?

And SprintHiddenMenu.apk is included.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That will be great if it is! Hope a PRL write function is accidentally left in as well.

Have to see how it measures up on the LTE RF performance now.

Robert

I prefer wired for any nonmobile devices. Wire is cheap and gigabit switches have gone down so much in the last year or two. With that said I do have 5ghz 40mhz 3x3 MIMO running and have one device that does 3x3 and see it handshake at 400+ mbit. I still prefer plugging in this device for a real 1000 mbit full duplex for copying large files though.

• Like 1

I'm just glad Sprint worked this out with Google (and they didn't let VZW ruin it for CDMA/Sprint). Huge high five to Sprint and Google on this one! It's even tri-band! Exciting stuff going on here at S4GRU right now!  It's awesome to have the N5 both subsidised and available via Google Play.  :tu:

• Like 9