Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

No AJ, that's your article (with credit given to Tim Yu, as well). Thank You, Sir!  :tu:

But I discovered it when it first came out. I was disappointed at the fact that LG blocked it and teased me with a Sprint triband compatible device then, but now I'm excited to see it's a phone and not a tablet!

• Like 5

This entire article made my night :-D I've been spreading it as well, so I hope I'm not a contributing factor in your servers crashing if they do :-D Keep up the good work ;-)

Fortunately we have ample server capacity. We could handle 50x more traffic than our busiest day ever. Also, we don't pay for bandwidth, we pay per registered member's average use. So non members viewing articles does not impact us one bit. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

So - is this potentially the first phone where you can take a Sprint SIM, toss it in, and be up and running (similar to Verizon)?

I tried swapping sims/accounts on a Sprint HTC One and Sprint GS4 and was met with failure.

I would LOVE the ability to buy an unlocked Nexus 5 and switch between my T-Mobile SIM and my Sprint SIM.

• Like 1

So - is this potentially the first phone where you can take a Sprint SIM, toss it in, and be up and running (similar to Verizon)?

I tried swapping sims/accounts on a Sprint HTC One and Sprint GS4 and was met with failure.

I would LOVE the ability to buy an unlocked Nexus 5 and switch between my T-Mobile SIM and my Sprint SIM.

probably not, sprint still activates/authenticates phones by MEID/IMEI that have to be registered in their system.

until that changes, sim swaps alone will not work.

Is there a particular time of year that Google releases their Nexus phones? Novemberish? Or, does it vary widely year to year?

Nexus 4 was released late October 2012.

So i'm thinking sometime mid to late next month.

• Like 1

While the technology exists to do what you say ("take a Sprint SIM, toss it in, and be up and running"), I find it unlikely that Sprint will all of a sudden start to use it. Currently, the type of SIM (UICC) card that Sprint provides is only there for LTE authentication, as it does not employ CSIM (R-UIM) to provision the device for the CDMA voice or Ev-DO networks. The only reason Sprint started using SIM cards at all is because LTE is an extension of the 3GPP (GSM) family. So the CDMA "side" of the phone still needs to be programmed manually to support Sprint's older networks, and Sprint also (as dedub posted) has to allow the phone on by whitelisting it's MEID.

AT&T, T-Mobile, and other GSM/W-CDMA networks rely on UICC entirely for device authentication. That's why you can easily switch between any GSM carrier by swapping the SIM card, as long as the phone is unlocked and it supports the bands used by the carrier.

You mentioned that you were met with failure when trying to swap SIMs on an HTC One and S4. Are you referring to trying to replace a Sprint SIM with another from Sprint, or use a T-Mobile SIM instead of Sprint's? In either case, you would be unsuccessful because a new Sprint SIM needs to be tied to your account by Sprint customer service in order to work, and the Sprint versions of both those phones come with their SIM slots locked down, so you would need to have them unlocked to use another carrier's SIM on the GSM "side" of the phone. The One and S4 can be unlocked for international GSM use (fortunately now, with or without Sprint's help), but use of domestic GSM SIMs is proving much more tricky to get working. The phones deliberately block the MNCs and MCCs (mobile country codes) used by AT&T and T-Mobile.

So for me, this is the big question with the Nexus 5. If the phone is sold off-contract on the Google Play store, will Sprint add it to their MEID whitelist and activate it? Any device Google sells would have to come fully unlocked. Will the same phone sold in Sprint stores come just as unlocked as the GP version? If so, that would be a first for the company, and probably be SoftBank's doing.

If that comes to pass, then yes, you could purchase this phone subsidized through Sprint and also purchase a SIM from AT&T/T-Mo. You would of course still be on the hook for Sprint's monthly service payments or their ETF, but you'd then be free to juggle the two networks as much as you'd like. A couple scenarios I could envision that being useful is if you are traveling to a location where there is AT&T/T-Mo LTE coverage (and no Sprint coverage), or if you are moving to a city where there is good T-Mo coverage and no longer need to be paying Sprint's higher rates.

You mentioned that you were met with failure when trying to swap SIMs on an HTC One and S4. Are you referring to trying to replace a Sprint SIM with another from Sprint, or use a T-Mobile SIM instead of Sprint's? In either case, you would be unsuccessful because a new Sprint SIM needs to be tied to your account by Sprint customer service in order to work, and the Sprint versions of both those phones come with their SIM slots locked down, so you would need to have them unlocked to use another carrier's SIM on the GSM "side" of the phone. The One and S4 can be unlocked for international GSM use (fortunately, with or without Sprint's help), but use of domestic GSM SIMs is proving much more tricky to get working. The phones deliberately block the MNCs and MCCs (mobile country codes) belonging to AT&T and T-Mobile.

Swap one sprint SIM with another sprint SIM between devices.

I would be happy even if Sprint let me just use 4G.  That would be great - but it didn't work.

I would be happy even if Sprint let me just use 4G.  That would be great - but it didn't work.

Yea, unfortunately the LTE UICC has to be tied to a Sprint handset's MEID to work at all. Sprint started using these cards because they had to. It's only recently that they've even been removable.

Do you guys think that Google will add an IR blaster to the Nexus 5 now that it has given some remote control capabilities in Android 4.3?

Probably. This seems to be a common feature in top-tier phones this year, and I can't imagine it adds that much to the BOM.

OMG *head explodes* I am pretty sure this is going to replace my GNex! I swore off LG after some poor past experiences (admittedly pre-smartphone mostly) with handsets... but Tri-band LTE, and Nexus... I'm sold

2300mah batter seems pretty small especially for the screen size and the fact that its not removable

The new HTC One has a 2300 mah battery as well, and it has a pretty darn good battery life, from what I hear. So, if this Nexus has a 2300 mah battery, can it not do well with battery life, too?

Edit: The Moto X has an even smaller battery and, it faired well with battery life reviews, too. 

Yea, unfortunately the LTE UICC has to be tied to a Sprint handset's MEID to work at all. Sprint started using these cards because they had to. It's only recently that they've even been removable.

In my experience thus far, the sprint sim card is tied to the device's MEID and not transferable to a different sprint device.

For example, you still swap lte devices in the website by MEID, you don't need to do (and can't do) anything with the sim card.

I don't know what would be required if the lte sim card was lost and needed to be replaced for whatever reason.

While the technology exists to do what you say ("take a Sprint SIM, toss it in, and be up and running"), I find it unlikely that Sprint will all of a sudden start to use it. 

Why not? Every Verizon LTE phone does.

Over time it would cut down on customer service costs. I am sure a significant number of people are having to call in to switch phones, either because they don't want to deal with the imei switcher online, or it simply isn't working.

Well done, people! Lots of tech sites are referring to s4gru :tu:

Now we have the task of making ourselves known in the tech industry as the number 1 Sprint information site around.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

Comments like these warm my heart

Man, S4GRU posters put more effort into research about their carrier and phones than anywhere I have ever seen. Too bad there isn't like a T-Mobile4gru or something.

AJ and Robert are among a few of the most dedicated forum runners I've seen.

or some variation on how well run and informed we are. 

• Like 11

I think part of it has to do with how many people here know what they're talking about. So if someone comes along who pretends to know what they're talking about, when they don't, they'll get called out.

• Like 1

Where did you find those comments?  They would warm the cockles of my heart, too -- if I had a heart.  But my detractors have assured me that I have none.

AJ

• Like 5

Where did you find those comments?  They would warm the cockles of my heart, too -- if I had a heart.  But my detractors have assured me that I have none.

AJ

Don't listen to them, AJ. You have a big heart, it's just filled full of hatred of AT&T.  :P