Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

So do we expect to see a Nexus 5 available on all carriers this time around?  It was kinda sad to see the Nexus 4 only available to Tmobile last year.

I'm expecting it based on what I see in this thread. Its down between the Nexus 5 and Note 3 for me now!

Edit: I do hope if they bring a nexus back to CDMA carriers, that they work out some kind of deal to get the devices fully supported in AOSP, and updates pushed by Google would be nice...

Serious question: given the hedging on the meaning of the band certifications (quoted below), what are the odds this will be a Sprint device? Are any of these bands unique to Sprint and unlikely to be in a non-Sprint phone? Is this device intended to work across all carriers?

Interpretation from the more knowledgeable is appreciated!

The FCC authorization docs show tests run for CDMA2000 band class 10 and LTE band class 41.  Those are practically unique to Sprint, especially in combination.

Additionally, LTE bands 4, 5, and 17 are included, covering AT&T and T-Mobile.  The outlier in the tests is LTE band class 13.  It is currently unique to VZW and was not included.

So, if this a new Nexus 5, maybe Google is getting back at VZW for screwing over previous Nexus handsets.

AJ

• Like 9

The FCC authorization docs show tests run for CDMA2000 band class 10 and LTE band class 41.  Those are practically unique to Sprint, especially in combination.

Additionally, LTE bands 4, 5, and 17 are included, covering AT&T and T-Mobile.  The outlier in the tests is LTE band class 13.  It is currently unique to VZW and was not included.

So, if this a new Nexus 5, maybe Google is getting back at VZW for screwing over previous Nexus handsets.

AJ

It is kind of strange they didn't just bump it up to hexaband for a nationwide nexus model. Unless there was simply no room? Or maybe Sprint agreed to terms that Verizon wouldn't agree to?  Like perhaps being sold only through the play store? 

It is kind of strange they didn't just bump it up to hexaband for a nationwide nexus model. (Unless there was simply no room?)

It could be a political decision, retribution for VZW.  Or it could be a technical reason, since band class 13 is the only one of the bunch that has an inverted FDD downlink/uplink.

AJ

Only Sprint uses SMR 800 LTE, PCS LTE, & EBS/BRS 2500-2600mhz LTE so it's damn sure going to be on  Sprint to have those specific bands. 

Pretty close.  But band 2/25 LTE is part of the AT&T UE regime now.

AJ

write the article before every other Android blog gets wind of this.

Of course.  Our FCC OET articles just write themselves in a matter of minutes.

;)

AJ

• Like 10

write the article before every other Android blog gets wind of this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Considering 80% of the people reading this article are guests, I'm assuming they already know.  :lol:

• Like 1

• Like 13

And just to head off the question posse, no, this mystery handset does not support SVDO nor SVLTE.

AJ

I just read this lol. Well, at least the possibility of LTE roaming takes the edge off.

That WOULD be awesome if this device opened up a new era of cross-country roaming on and between ALL carriers of some sort. (but that would be way too good to be true, I am sure).

• Like 1

AJ

What did Verizon do in the past that rubbed Google in the wrong way?

Galaxy Nexus updates.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

What do you mean by that?  Verizon held up speedier Nexus updates on the Galaxy Nexus and ruined part of the image of a Nexus device?

What do you mean by that? Verizon held up speedier Nexus updates on the Galaxy Nexus and ruined part of the image of a Nexus device?

Verizon insisted on bloating the device up with Verizon specific apps instead of letting it be pure Google so having a nexus on Verizon kind of killed the pure Google experience.
  • Like 2

Verizon insisted on bloating the device up with Verizon specific apps instead of letting it be pure Google so having a nexus on Verizon kind of killed the pure Google experience.

Wow.  Well in that case, I hope Google screws over Verizon and not offer the Nexus 5 to them and make them beg for mercy.

Wow.  Well in that case, I hope Google screws over Verizon and not offer the Nexus 5 to them and make them beg for mercy.

They won't beg for mercy, from what I understand Nexus devices don't sell that well.

I posted this article in another thread, but it kinda makes sense here to. Its an article on google's strategy on updating android devices regardless of what the carrier does. So even if the CDMA chip used to be an issue updating the CDMA nexus is the past, this goes a long way into alleviating customers need to update. So maybe Google doesn't mind getting into bed with Sprint again. (not sure why they are leaving Verizon out though)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/balky-carriers-and-slow-oems-step-aside-google-is-defragging-android/

That is fine.  Google should just have it available for Tmobile, Sprint and ATT.

Oh I absolutely agree, I just know that Verizon won't be crying over not getting the whatever the call the next Nexus.