Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

I've been told by multiple Sprint reps that the 4g should work without the SIM card since the SIM card is just for international service (GSM)... I'm so confused!!

Trust S4GRU - not sprint employees.

4G LTE will NOT work without a SIM.  Period.

• Like 7

I've been told by multiple Sprint reps that the 4g should work without the SIM card since the SIM card is just for international service (GSM)... I'm so confused!!

THEY ARE DUMB AND WRONG. 

• Like 1

Not all are dumb . The issue is the culture, training and incentives that do not award knowledge. Selling and adapting to ever changing focuses and goals are what is pushed to store employees and in the end your sales are all that you ate graded on for the month.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Argh. My G2 order from October 11th is still pending...how about if all of y'all who receive your Nexus early just agree to not activate until Friday to be fair to us G2 users out there..

Umm...let me think about that for a moment...

NO!!!

Look at it philosophically.  Robert may receive his Nexus 5 a few days earlier than you receive your G2.  But where Robert lives now, there is neither Sprint nor T-Mobile.  So, to do any testing, he has to shack up with AT&T.  And that is a deal with the devil if there ever was one.  It cannot be good for his soul.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

LTE is GSM based.

I received my tracking number Saturday morning at about 2 am PDT. My tracking info still only states that a label was created. My guess is I will get an update tonight and delivery by Wednesday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It's plain and simple. The N5 that Sprint users and AT&T users, etc will be using will be the same exact device. The updates won't go through AT&T or Sprint to sign off on them before the OTA is put on Google's servers. The companies signed off on the first update and I'm sure there are other provisions in the contract with the company's like hot spot locking down, etc. I'm not sure why you are getting stuff about patents and such holding up updates for each carrier. That's not the way it is going to work. When Google updates to 4.4.1 then the same scaled rollout will happen to all device users.

^ this

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

LTE is GSM based.

No, it has been adopted by the "jizzum" ecosystem.  But LTE is not "GSM based."

AJ

No, it has been adopted by the "jizzum" ecosystem.  But LTE is not "GSM based."

AJ

You obviously have more wireless engineering knowledge in your pinky finger than I do in my entire body, but this is what wiki says:

LTE, an initialism of Long Term Evolution, marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements.

You obviously have more wireless engineering knowledge in your pinky finger than I do in my entire body, but this is what wiki says:

LTE, an initialism of Long Term Evolution, marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements.

I think that was a joke he was making.

-Luis

Well I got my nexus 5 and promptly went to my local sprint store.

They said "Sorry, we do not have Nexus 5 SIM cards yet."

I said I just need a microSIM and they told me "no, you need the Nexus 5 SIM and we don't have them yet."

*sigh*

• Like 2

Does this phone use a hardware identifier separate from the SIM to authenticate CDMA?  Or did they go with SIM based auth for Voice/3g as well as LTE?

If I'm not mistaken, only GSM phones can be activated via SIM only. Sprint will have to authenticate the device through their systems first.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-Luis

Add me to the list...no SIM cards at my Sprint Store so had to order via chat.  No option for overnight so 3 to 5 days.  I did get an order number so I guess I have a pretty cool wi-fi device for new few days.  Also based on my order number the product ID is CZ2102LWR LTEGSM REMOVEABLE 3FF USIM.

Would the sim card from an S4 work or is that a different type?

The Sprint and Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Yes these were had their updates run through Samsung and then the carrier, not Google. Here is one of the reports speaking about Verizon's G-Nex update woes.  "Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus is Now 3 Updates Behind Other Nexus Devices" from Droid Life.  This was the same process for Sprint. 

Hence my concern unless Google has managed to twist enough arms or pay enough money so they can handle all of the updates.

Yes everyone is aware of the debacle for the galaxy nexus devices.

The nexus 5 is supposed to be NOT like that.

1 device. 3 carriers. Updates from Google. The End.