Sprint, nTelos, Signal Reception, and NV

Does the change over to 800 MHz. require a new antenna or can it be done in software?  How is it typically deployed?

The Network Vision equipment is already capable of 800MHz on both 1xRTT for voice and LTE for data. It just needs a separate RRU, which i already part of the NV rollout.

Ah, so the 800 MHz. is a standard part of the NV rollout.  Unfortunately, I'm in nTelos-land so who knows when that will happen here...

I would love it if they were bought.  In 2014, Sprint can overbuild in nTelos territory and the current wholesale agreement ends in 2015.  I doubt Sprint would lose almost an entire state of coverage so they will either overbuild, buy out (All or part of the company), partner/buy another company in the area (Probably US Cellular), or come to an agreement.  I'm willing to bet that Sprint will be doing research to see if it would be cheaper to own and operate their own towers or continue with another affiliate agreement in the area.  I had an exchange at the Sprint Community forums that was a bit interesting in regards to nTelos and NV.  Hopefully NV comes to nTelos sooner rather than later.  The 800 MHz. should get me somewhat better coverage indoors at work as I'm right on the line between service and no service.

Me:  Out of curiosity, has any Sprint affiliates or partners, like nTelos, indicated that they will be participating in Sprint's Network Vision or something similar to it?

Sprint:  All of the towers affiliated or partnered with Sprint will be part of the Sprint Network Vision and the towers will be upgraded.

Here's where I asked it:  http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/609587#609587

Me:  Out of curiosity, has any Sprint affiliates or partners, like nTelos, indicated that they will be participating in Sprint's Network Vision or something similar to it?

Yep.  Shentel around your neck of the woods is already very far along in its Network Vision upgrades, including both LTE 1900 and CDMA1X 800.

AJ

Yep.  Shentel around your neck of the woods is already very far along in its Network Vision upgrades, including both LTE 1900 and CDMA1X 800.

AJ

Shentel looks like they are doing Network Vision better than Sprint. :lol:

• Like 1

Shentel looks like they are doing Network Vision better than Sprint. :lol:

Think of it like this.  Essentially, Shentel is repainting one doorframe, while Sprint is remodeling the whole house.

AJ

Think of it like this.  Essentially, Shentel is repainting one doorframe, while Sprint is remodeling the whole house.

AJ

I'd say a little bias is showing in this post. Shentel had to do all the same updates as Sprint, it's not like they did a network overlay. While they have less sites, they also have less resources and are a much smaller company.

I'd say a little bias is showing in this post. Shentel had to do all the same updates as Sprint, it's not like they did a network overlay. While they have less sites, they also have less resources and are a much smaller company.

No, I would call it a little bit of perspective, just as I had to offer some notable tech press on Twitter earlier today.  I am equating "repainting" and "remodeling" -- they are logically similar but on different scales.

Now, try this analogy:  have a child repaint the doorframe, while an adult remodels the whole house.  Who finishes first?

;)

AJ

No, I would call it a little bit of perspective, just as I had to offer some notable tech press on Twitter earlier today.  I am equating "repainting" and "remodeling" -- they are logically similar but on different scales.

Now, try this analogy:  have a child repaint the doorframe, while an adult remodels the whole house.  Who finishes first?

;)

AJ

Too bad the adult in this example had quite a head start.

Too bad the adult in this example had quite a head start.

True to an extent, but the respective scopes of the jobs are different to a far, far greater extent.  Give Shentel credit, but do not go overboard.  After all, wherever Shentel is providing its own backhaul, it largely controls its own destiny.

AJ

True to an extent, but the respective scopes of the jobs are different to a far, far greater extent.  Give Shentel credit, but do not go overboard.  After all, wherever Shentel is providing its own backhaul, it largely controls its own destiny.

AJ

Yes, give Shentel credit, but then also criticize Sprint for allowing their own SprintLink nationwide Data Network degrade over the last decade.

• Like 1

Yes, give Shentel credit, but then also criticize Sprint for allowing their own SprintLink nationwide Data Network degrade over the last decade.

What are you talking about?  You do realize that Sprint does not have that much local fiber any longer.  That shipped sailed when Embarq was spun off.

AJ

What are you talking about?  You do realize that Sprint does not have that much local fiber any longer.  That shipped sailed when Embarq was spun off.

AJ

Yes, that is the point.  They once owned some local fiber and a very good nationwide transport system. Not any more. It was not  in every city, but they had it some places. They wanted out to the local telephone business and they got it accomplished.

Now they have to depend on Verizon, AT&T, Century Link.  Even CenturyLink is not really tied to Sprint anymore and they mostly own the old Sprint Local fiber.

Shentel deserves the credit for a job well done for their portion of their upgrade. They deserve the praise. And it's natural to want to make a direct comparison between Shentel and Sprint NV deployment, but it's not really fair or accurate to do so.

Shentel is upgrading one market. Sprint is upgrading 97. So the scope is almost 100 times larger. Also, Shentel is largely rural and some suburban. Sprint has done very well in these similar type markets. Criticism of Sprint has mostly been about their failure at major metros. They have dozens and dozens of cities the size of Hagerstown and Winchester launched. It would not be fair to compare a Shentel deployment progress with Sprint in a place like NYC. However, if you compare Shentel with Sprint progress in say a similar market like Ft. Wayne/South Bend, now you see Sprint isn't doing so bad.

Backhaul and crew availability is where Sprint has struggled most. And those have been lesser issues for Shentel. However, I for one, will give Shentel the applause they deserve. Sprint probably could learn a few things from how they deployed. Number one being...local control and management. People running the deployment who know the sites, the logistics, the backhaul vendors and can be right there managing them. That is what Shentel management really was able to do better than Sprint.

If Sprint could have set NV up as 97 different projects with local management, they could have had some better successes. But no matter what, we are now entering the SoftBank phase. And something I'm going to be saying a lot is, Masayoshi Son is not going to take no for an answer.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is the point.  They once owned some local fiber and a very good nationwide transport system. Not any more. It was not  in every city, but they had it some places. They wanted out to the local telephone business and they got it accomplished.

Now they have to depend on Verizon, AT&T, Century Link.  Even CenturyLink is not really tied to Sprint anymore and they mostly own the old Sprint Local fiber.

I am sorry, but that is crock.  You are bringing up what was spun off fully seven years ago?!  What in the world does that have to do with Network Vision?  Nothing.  Network Vision was not even a concept back in 2006.

And Sprint still has a national fiber backbone, just not the local fiber that it once did.

AJ

I am sorry, but that is crock.  You are bringing up what was spun off fully seven years ago?!  What in the world does that have to do with Network Vision?  Nothing.  Network Vision was not even a concept back in 2006.

And Sprint still has a national fiber backbone, just not the local fiber that it once did.

AJ

AJ,

Years before your time, Sprint built a fiber network and was one of the first to do it. They were ahead of most everybody.  But, like you said, they spun it off 7 years ago and burned through the cash while some of the executives got rich in all the dealing.

I am saying they either were not smart enough to know what they had or were all in it for the quick money.

It was a mistake to sell off everything and blow the money. Even if they did not see Network Vision, they should have been smart enough to realize that data transport of some type was going to be the growth area.  They were not smart enough to see it.

Many of those people are gone now.

Many of those people are gone now.

I understand that, and do not get me wrong, we are on the same page regarding the Embarq spin off.  In hindsight, it was a misstep.  But, as the saying goes, let bygones be bygones.  Can you appreciate how it has no current relevance to Network Vision nor to Shentel?

AJ

Think of it like this. Essentially, Shentel is repainting one doorframe, while Sprint is remodeling the whole house.

AJ

True. I can't argue that.

Now, if nTelos would follow Shentel's example....

What are you talking about? You do realize that Sprint does not have that much local fiber any longer. That shipped sailed when Embarq was spun off.

AJ

I believe the SprintLink data network being referred to (perhaps even confused by the OP) is the longhaul network they still have.

Verizon has spun off a lot of local markets and seems to be doing alright. You're trading in a dying network with union labor and heavy regulation for a new network with cheap labor and light regulations.

Sprint let all of their networks go in the crapper in one form or another (mobile wireless, longhaul fiber, etc.)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Though Shentel is in my region, they are not in the area I'm at.  I believe Shentel, in WV anyways, is more concentrated in the panhandle whereas nTelos is in the central portions extending all the way to the WV/KY/OH border.  I wish that nTelos wasn't as secretive as they are, it seems like they aren't doing anything.

On a different note, I've been testing that Boost Mobile phone, the Kyocera Coast, and I've noticed that it hasn't left the 1900 MHz. band.  I'm wondering if the local cell towers are able to do 800 MHz. here or if Boost is blocked from that frequency.

SprintLink is alive and kicking, not sure what you're referring to.

I think you're confusing SL with last mile services. SL was never put in place for last mile, but they still maintain POPs all over the place. I've personally visited 3 of them. You do realize that the entire wireless network of Sprint rides along the Sprintlink MPLS core?

SprintLink is alive and kicking, not sure what you're referring to.

I think you're confusing SL with last mile services. SL was never put in place for last mile, but they still maintain POPs all over the place. I've personally visited 3 of them. You do realize that the entire wireless network of Sprint rides along the Sprintlink MPLS core?

Yes Deval, I have been inside many more Sprint network facilities than you have. They COULD have a Sprintlink network that extends much further, but years ago, they made some major mistakes. Now they have issues getting back-haul at many locations.  They never would have had back-haul to the majority of the sites, but they could have had it much more closely available to them if they would have looked ahead and been able to see the explosion of data usage. Data exploded everywhere and they were interested in selling all local phone operations.  Now they struggle with getting back-haul and pay excessive dollars for it.

Executives that were highly paid could not see the growth in data transport that was going to be needed for cell sites and even other things.

They had fiber with less that half of the pairs active.  The pairs that were active could handle much more data if they upgraded the fiber equipment at each end.  Selling all that and getting a bonus in their paycheck for doing it was very very wrong.

Yes, this is old news, but Sprint still suffers from the mistake.

• 6 months later...

Just looked at the nTelos website to see if they had added any new phones that will supposedly work on their 4g LTE. They have three new phones added and they are the HTC Desire, the Moto X and the LG Optimus 7. It appears their 4g LTE net work will be on the PCS 1900 mhz according to the LTE description on those three phones.