Novatel MiFi 500 (Sprint Tri-Band Hotspot)

dedub

Obviously, the MiFi is pulling down a better signal, but it's also all around faster, even at comparable signals as I tested those as well (I will post those screen shots in a bit).

The two devices were sitting right next to each other and both tests were taken back-to-back.

I did several tests and on average, the MiFi is getting MUCH better signal and speeds. Some were peaking to 12-15mbps with a signal of -108 to -114 on the MiFi, whereas the iPhone alone would barely do 3-5Mbps at around the same signal at this particular point of the day (peak).

I'm particularly impressed with the ping times when connected to the MiFi 500.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).

I have a feeling Sprint is giving a higher QoS priority to mobile hotspots. There has been a number of times when I get lousy service on a number of sprint phones, but service through the hotspot is great.

I have a feeling Sprint is giving a higher QoS priority to mobile hotspots. There has been a number of times when I get lousy service on a number of sprint phones, but service through the hotspot is great.

My current Mifi 4082 has an RSSI of -82 dbm in its current location (attached to the wall where the signal is best.)  When I place my phone next to it, in the same spot, it has an RSSI of -109 dbm.  (These are EVDO).  I can never figure out it!  Hotspots must have way better antennas.

My current Mifi 4082 has an RSSI of -82 dbm in its current location (attached to the wall where the signal is best.)  When I place my phone next to it, in the same spot, it has an RSSI of -109 dbm.  (These are EVDO).  I can never figure out it!  Hotspots must have way better antennas.

There's probably less attenuation from there being no hands on the device, too. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to activate mine right now over the phone. Looks like they won't let me activate it month-to-month either (my primary phone is on my mom/dad's plan and I'm trying to create my own account for the hotspot).

EDIT: they won't let me activate it over the phone unless I buy another phone or hotspot. Sprint store it is. :(

EDIT 2: the person on the phone is claiming it's not a Sprint device. :angry:

EDIT 3: finally got it activated at the Sprint store. That was more hassle than I thought.

I'm trying to activate mine right now over the phone. Looks like they won't let me activate it month-to-month either (my primary phone is on my mom/dad's plan and I'm trying to create my own account for the hotspot).

EDIT: they won't let me activate it over the phone unless I buy another phone or hotspot. Sprint store it is. :(

EDIT 2: the person on the phone is claiming it's not a Sprint device. :angry:

EDIT 3: finally got it activated at the Sprint store. That was more hassle than I thought.

When that happens, hang up and try again - or just ask to talk to someone else. Turnover for call centers is ridiculous, so you have a decently high chance of talking to someone with little training who has no idea what they're talking about. 

I don't believe so. The MiFis have stronger radios, they have much better EIRP testing figures from the FCC. Also, it helps as suggested above that they are not touched.

The MiFis have stronger signal strength in almost every test I've seen. And as we all know around S4GRU, the stronger the LTE signal, the better the performance. 5dBm better is measurable, 10dBm can be night and day different.

Robert via Nexus 7 HD using Tapatalk 4

I got this email from Wirefly today: 

Thank you for contacting our Customer Service Department.

Unfortunately, your personal information cannot be validated to pass our potential fraud screenings. In order to protect your personal information, we have cancelled the order and are unable to reinstate it at this time.

We use several criteria to evaluate every order.  The information in your order did not pass our screening process so we are unable to complete your order.  Unfortunately, for this reason, I am unable to reinstate your order.

We have not applied any charges to your credit card.

We valued your business with us, we regret to lose you as a customer at this time.

Sincerely,

Nishi

Secure Verify Team

I got mine. I'll be activating this puppy as soon as I can... and mostly use it to report on the rollout of 800 MHz and 2500 MHz LTE in West Michigan! We're a WiMAX market, there might be some BC41 floating around, who knows?

• Like 1

I activated mine last night. Replaced my WiMax Overdrive Pro.

Right before I swapped the devices, I took some speedtests and compared the difference

Wimax (-61dBm)

Posted Image

LTE (-108dBm)

Posted Image

So what band was this lte? Are you in NorCal?

Sent from my Android HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 4

So what band was this lte? Are you in NorCal?

Sent from my Android HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 4

I'm in San Francisco. Looking at the debug screen, I'm on PCS band 25. I just tried it at my office too and I got only 1mbps on LTE and also band 25. I haven't seen any LTE band 41 in San Francisco yet. 

I'm in San Francisco. Looking at the debug screen, I'm on PCS band 25. I just tried it at my office too and I got only 1mbps on LTE and also band 25. I haven't seen any LTE band 41 in San Francisco yet.

At what signal strength?

From the same spot on my phone...

Test Date: Jul 30, 2013 10:33:52 am
Connection Type: Lte
Server: Berkeley
Download: 3978 kbps
Upload: 1578 kbps
Ping: 67 ms

External IP: 66.87.135.140
Internal IP: 51.226.165.140
Latitude: 37.76422
Longitude: -122.39659

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

531399102.png

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1375205592668.jpg

From the same spot on my phone...

Test Date: Jul 30, 2013 10:33:52 am

Connection Type: Lte

Server: Berkeley

Download: 3978 kbps

Upload: 1578 kbps

Ping: 67 ms

External IP: 66.87.135.140

Internal IP: 51.226.165.140

Latitude: 37.76422

Longitude: -122.39659

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

Posted Image

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

According to the screenshots, almost 10 mins has passed between tests. A lot can change in 10 mins. I'd try to do them back to back if you can. It will give you a better indication of what's going on.

Bummer. I was hoping band 41 was active in sf already. We'll I guess if it's active by the time Triband phones come out it should be fine. Let us know when you do find 2600.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Are you in areas that would typically have WiMax? The memo that Robert got indicated that 2500 LTE should be live in San Francisco. It seemed to be very widespread in Denver, and sounds to be the same in Chicago, so I thought it would be matching the WiMax footprint like it is in other places.

Are you in areas that would typically have WiMax? The memo that Robert got indicated that 2500 LTE should be live in San Francisco. It seemed to be very widespread in Denver, and sounds to be the same in Chicago, so I thought it would be matching the WiMax footprint like it is in other places.

A couple pages back I posted a comparison from my old WiMax modem vs the MiFi 500. I get a pretty strong WiMax signal at home and a pretty weak LTE one.

I activated mine last night. Replaced my WiMax Overdrive Pro.

Right before I swapped the devices, I took some speedtests and compared the difference

Wimax (-61dBm)

2863151113.png

LTE (-108dBm)

2863178074.png

A couple pages back I posted a comparison from my old WiMax modem vs the MiFi 500. I get a pretty strong WiMax signal at home and a pretty weak LTE one.

Ah. So I see. I'm very interested to know where Clear's LTE is live, as they were not nearly as specific about the launch as they have been with the current LTE rollout, and there's no maps to check it out either.