Novatel MiFi 500 (Sprint Tri-Band Hotspot)

dedub

I'm going to order the Netgear hotspot this Friday, that's when I'm eligible for rebate :) Finally time to retire my old Novatel MIFI. Now to see if I can pick up some Band 41 goodness in the city!

I had two orders, one under my name, one under my wifes and they both shipped and should arrive friday. Crazy stuff..The retail price on sprint's website is $249 so it has to be a mistake (wirefly charge $19.99 when you sign a contract), but they have to know about it by now and it is still listed as free on their website so who knows. 

Mine was cancelled this morning :/

Wonder why they cancel some and not others?

I am wondering if the "validation" process (whatever that means) is what's causing these hang-ups?

Does anybody know what they're validating?

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).

I had two orders, one under my name, one under my wifes and they both shipped and should arrive friday. Crazy stuff..The retail price on sprint's website is $249 so it has to be a mistake (wirefly charge $19.99 when you sign a contract), but they have to know about it by now and it is still listed as free on their website so who knows.

We have to activate these via Wirefly, right?

I am gonna try to do a regular esn swap on the sprint website first (i have an older wifi hotspot already), if that doesn't work then I will go thru wirefly. But I don't see why you would need Wirefly to activate it. 

Wonder why they cancel some and not others?

I am wondering if the "validation" process (whatever that means) is what's causing these hang-ups?

Does anybody know what they're validating?

I used an old TravelEx card.  Is it worth putting a real credit/debit card on there?

I am gonna try to do a regular esn swap on the sprint website first (i have an older wifi hotspot already), if that doesn't work then I will go thru wirefly. But I don't see why you would need Wirefly to activate it.

I have a sprint store close to my house, so I'll try to pop in there and add a line to my account/get this activated away from Wirefly.

I was only curious about the Wirefly activations because it seems like a pretty awful idea for them to just give away (and ship! for free!) these hotspots and not get anything out of 'em.

I have a sprint store close to my house, so I'll try to pop in there and add a line to my account/get this activated away from Wirefly.

I was only curious about the Wirefly activations because it seems like a pretty awful idea for them to just give away (and ship! for free!) these hotspots and not get anything out of 'em.

Seems to me that Sprint is subsidizing the cost and shipping on these. Wirefly is just the vendor. I could be wrong, but I can't See why they would just be giving these hotspots away for nothing with free shipping if it weren't for Sprint subsidizing them.

Seems to me that Sprint is subsidizing the cost and shipping on these. Wirefly is just the vendor. I could be wrong, but I can't See why they would just be giving these hotspots away for nothing with free shipping if it weren't for Sprint subsidizing them.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when the Hotspot arrives... I'd imagine that there would be a 2-year contract agreement involved in exchange for the subsidy...

My order got approved and is waiting for inventory to come in! :) I'm quite excited. I just hope they don't cancel it. I'm starting to think that if they can't verify card billing address with shipping address they will cancel the order, and if you ordered more than one time under the same name. I can't blame them for limiting due to overwhelming demand.

I still agree with those of you that think Sprint had something to do with this. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get people off the WiMax network by letting them have a free MiFi without a contract.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when the Hotspot arrives... I'd imagine that there would be a 2-year contract agreement involved in exchange for the subsidy...

Mine arrives tomorrow as well. We shall see.

On a side-note: anybody know if the MiFi500 shows which band of LTE you're connected to and if so, can they be prioritized like the Netgear offering?

My order got approved and is waiting for inventory to come in! :) I'm quite excited. I just hope they don't cancel it. I'm starting to think that if they can't verify card billing address with shipping address they will cancel the order, and if you ordered more than one time under the same name. I can't blame them for limiting due to overwhelming demand.

I still agree with those of you that think Sprint had something to do with this. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get people off the WiMax network by letting them have a free MiFi without a contract.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

From everything I've read, these Tri-band hotspots are flying off the shelves (not just the free MIFI 500s). People must be catching on, even though Sprint seems to have soft-launched Tri-band as well as the hotspots.

The free MiFi500 has to be Sprint's doing. I just don't see it happening any other way. It's just weird that they would make you jump through hoops to find the hotspot for free like that. As far as I know, it's only through WireFly and you have to know what you're doing to find the deal. It's not advertised ANYWHERE.

I ordered one from Sprint.com on Monday, it came Tuesday.  It wouldn't activate.  Sprint decided it was defective, so they are sending me another one.  BUT, they were on back order now!  After only 1 day!  I submitted an order for one of these.  Let's see what happens.  If I get this one, I will cancel my other order, which is within the 14 days from my "upgrade," and then not have to extend my contract.

If you want the month to month, I believe you have to activate through the device itself.

The clearwire hotspot activates the same way.

Turn on hotspot, connect to it with a PC via wifi, open a browser, it should do a captive redirect to the activation page.

I am just assuming it works like this.

Otherwise, you would need to activate it through sprint with the type of plan you want.

Sprint just told me that my original re-order is now shipped...even though they were on back order for "10 to 15 business days."  Hm.  I'm hoping that this free one will ship and I can return the one Sprint is sending me.  It's still well within my 14 days.

If you want the month to month, I believe you have to activate through the device itself.

The clearwire hotspot activates the same way.

Turn on hotspot, connect to it with a PC via wifi, open a browser, it should do a captive redirect to the activation page.

I am just assuming it works like this.

Otherwise, you would need to activate it through sprint with the type of plan you want.

That's great news if this one ends up working the same way.

I just placed an order for a freebie, see if it goes through or not.  It will be nice for camping or other travels to have reliable internet :)

well either they are cancelling all of them now or i'm doing something wrong. i had submitted another one this morning and it just got cancelled too.

All of your information has to match what the bank has on file exactly, I think. If it does, I'm not sure what's going on.

mine keeps getting canceled, I'm still trying since it's still "Free"

well either they are cancelling all of them now or i'm doing something wrong. i had submitted another one this morning and it just got cancelled too.

No MiFi for you!  Come back one year!

AJ

Mine is still approved, just awaiting inventory.