Novatel MiFi 500 (Sprint Tri-Band Hotspot)

dedub

the novatel 500 is now $0 on sprint website with 2/y contract, last I saw it was originally $50.

I just got one (on contract) for $0 from Sprint.

I've seen a few people talk about getting the MSL code for the MiFi 500 (to be able to change LTE options, but I can't figure out how to retrieve this code. Can somebody please point me in the correct direction?

You'll have to call Sprint to get the MSL.

I activated my Mifi 500 today.  No LTE yet here for me.  But, I'm really impressed at how much better it seems to perform than my Mifi 4082.  That one would randomly disconnect all the time. This one has been connected for almost 12 hours and still going strong.

This seems like an awesome deal for those weary about signing a contract and want to give this thing a go! http://www.freedompop.com/LTEhotspot

I'm trying to order this, but it looks like I'm in an indeterminate state with FreedomPop. Fired off a support request to figure out what's going on.

Hopefully the issue will get sorted out soon; though this device doesn't seem to be on par with the Zing RF-wise, it is tri-band, it doesn't have the ping penalty, and no contract/cheap plans/$150 for the device sound excellent.

• Like 1

Mine shipped in late yesterday and I got it up and running, good signal and speed.  Can't wait to drop it off to my parents at the campground this weekend.  Hopefully it will hold LTE for them or find some SMR LTE in West Michigan.

• 1 month later...

Looks like you can buy the Mifi 500 off-contract for $250 from LetsTalk

http://www.letstalk.com/cell-phones/productdetail.htm?prId=42048

yes, but has anyone successfully activated this device on a new service without be required to use a 2 year contract?

hello all i have just gone through the settings and frequencies for the novatel hotspot and its missing the 850 megahertz for verizon roaming on cdma andy reason why this is missing ?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't support 850. Only 3G 1900/800, LTE 1900/800/2500-2600. You don't really want a Hotspot roaming. Racks up hella charges to Sprint.

EDIT: Confirmed no 850

http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/novatelmifi500/index.html#novatel_mifi_500_ug/product_specifications.html

so no verizon 850 roaming ?  hmm then why did it display roaming on sprint coverage map.. * shrugs* ih well thank you for helping to confirm for me

There is Sprint Roaming Coverage for voice and data on phones.

hmm do they charge for that

Yes. That's one of the main reasons Sprint is building a better network to reduce roaming charges. Every time you Roam on another carrier, whether it be voice or data, your carrier has to pay that carrier for your usage at an agreed rate.

Sidenote: If you're looking for a response, it helps to quote the text you're responding to, otherwise the person you're addressing has no clue you asked something else. We receive a notification if you quote our text.

Yes. That's one of the main reasons Sprint is building a better network to reduce roaming charges. Every time you Roam on another carrier, whether it be voice or data, your carrier has to pay that carrier for your usage at an agreed rate.

Sidenote: If you're looking for a response, it helps to quote the text you're responding to, otherwise the person you're addressing has no clue you asked something else. We receive a notification if you quote our text.

Thank you for the tip :) and wont they build out new towers

Thank you for the tip :) and wont they build out new towers

Eventually yes, but that requires additional planning and scoping. Right now all the focus is on upgrading the current network, then adding the newly acquired Clearwire spectrum to NV.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

Eventually yes, but that requires additional planning and scoping. Right now all the focus is on upgrading the current network, then adding the newly acquired Clearwire spectrum to NV.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

so when its done won't they expand their native foot print

so when its done won't they expand their native foot print

They'll do that during or after NV 2.0.

They'll do that during or after NV 2.0.

so in network vision 2.0 they will add new towers in new markets and deploy their spectrum there

so in network vision 2.0 they will add new towers in new markets and deploy their spectrum there

Maybe. Depends on what Son and Hesse decide. May not be until 3.0.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

See the FreedomPop thread for my impressions of the MiFi 500. Not as configurable as the Netgear Zing, but no ping penalty either (though routing through the West Coast is just as bad...trying to fix that sooner rather than later).

The little corridor where I tend to be doesn't have TD-LTE live yet but maybe soon...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...