Netgear Zing 771S tri band LTE mobile hotspot discussion

delta772er

I was talking to my Sprint account representative today and he told me the tower closest to my home (Kingy's Pizza - Canal Winchester - Basil Western Road) is scheduled for 2 upgrades within the next 2 months.  Couldn't say what they were, just that was what was showing in his records.  Any ideas?  Right now, I receive B25

• 1 month later...

When I first received my Zing Hotspot, it was set on AUTO meaning it would pick up any available signal, i.e. B25, B26 or B41.  However I learned I could go in and specify the order, by channel, I could connect, so I turned off AUTO and selected the channel to connect (if available) in this order B41, B26 and then B25.

I wanted to experiment because someone told me they got 35mb download on the same tower I am connecting to... but I can't remember how I made the changes to my Hotspot.  I just spent the last 20 minutes going through every screen and setting and for the life of me can't figure out how to change the channel preference to hooking up to the Sprint network.

Can anyone help?

When I first received my Zing Hotspot, it was set on AUTO meaning it would pick up any available signal, i.e. B25, B26 or B41.  However I learned I could go in and specify the order, by channel, I could connect, so I turned off AUTO and selected the channel to connect (if available) in this order B41, B26 and then B25.

I wanted to experiment because someone told me they got 35mb download on the same tower I am connecting to... but I can't remember how I made the changes to my Hotspot.  I just spent the last 20 minutes going through every screen and setting and for the life of me can't figure out how to change the channel preference to hooking up to the Sprint network.

Can anyone help?

1. You need the MSL from Sprint.

2. You must login to the Zing from a browser to navigate to the network settings, they are not accessible from the device itself.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: 3. You cannot turn off B25, which has the annoying by-product that you rarely see weak B26 & B41 signals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi: Just wanted to add my $.02. I just dropped CenturyLink and I'm exclusively on the Zing hotspot. Mind you, I have a recently upgraded tower across the street. I've added a TP-Link AP in client mode to bridge the WiFi to my PC, (WMC) Xbox extender and Samsung TV, and I couldn't be happier. It's a company provided device, and fortunately I'm in a pool of unlimited data devices. I'm half way through the billing period and I'm at 33GB so far.

• Like 1

Hi: Just wanted to add my $.02. I just dropped CenturyLink and I'm exclusively on the Zing hotspot. Mind you, I have a recently upgraded tower across the street. I've added a TP-Link AP in client mode to bridge the WiFi to my PC, (WMC) Xbox extender and Samsung TV, and I couldn't be happier. It's a company provided device, and fortunately I'm in a pool of unlimited data devices. I'm half way through the billing period and I'm at 33GB so far.

They have unlimited data plans for these????

My company has a lot of phones and hotspots under contract with Sprint.Whatever account type we have, I verified with them that I have unlimited data. Apparently, you can't just walk in to a retail store and buy one and open an unlimited account. 

• 3 weeks later...

So those of you with both the zing and the docking station;

- do you still use the dock?

- would you buy it again, or was it worth buying?

- do you want to get rid of it?

No,no,already did...worthless IMHO

The dock was totally worthless.   I could not see any improvement.  I ordered online, but was allowed to take it back to a local Sprint store (company owned - not a franchise store) and they did the credit for me.

Instead, I purchased a pigtail connector so that I could connect the outdoor directional antenna I had purchased for my Clearwire modem and it works great.

Speedtest_12212014.PNG

soho_1065_1600.JPG

Edited by KnarfOH
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've lerked here over the last year, having received my zing from my mnvo last January. I need some expert\experienced opinions on some things regarding this device.

Basically I have issue with my mnvo regarding an extraordinary data charge in an approximately 2 hr usage window back in December. They say I xferred 11 GB !!! in 2 hours. At the time, I was in a car driving on highways\Interstate. I only use my tablet with the zing, but I did have a passenger using a laptop during this time.

The data I've relied on to make my case is the "Lifetime Total Transferred" counter from the Zing Manager's "About" page. It currently says 2.55 GB.

Does anyone here have a GB count greater than ~15GB?  What I want to know is "at what count does that counter roll-over?"

I'd also appreciate any opinions on the feasability\likelyhood of xferring 11GB in 2 hours while driving down the highway.

Thanks,

rickbol

If your passenger had a macbook it might have downloaded an os x update; 5.5 gb in 1 hr is very doable given even a modest 4g LTE connection; my Zing Manager totals for about 1 year of use about 45 GB.. I've averaged 3-4 GB /month in 2014;

I don't believe the counter resets on its own..if you do a factory reset of the zing I suspect the counters get reset

Thanks scubajwd.

So you're saying that the counter can actually display 45 GB for the "Lifetime Total Transferred" counter?

My thinking was that perhaps the counter rolled over at, say, 10 GB, and then started from zero again (granted, not much of a "lifetime counter" for byte xfer... but I've seen worse programming bugs!). My year usage total based on previous billing data was ~930 MB up till the new December billing started ( <100 MB/mo). Now my Zing's LTX is 2.55 GB, so that's 1.66GB in the current billing period, with 99% of that coming in the period in question. 1.5GB in 2hrs seems entirely possible and likely common even though it's way outside of my "normal" tablet usage.

But I can't see the Zing failing to count >80% of the bytes I'm being billed for this month. :o

I'm assuming it's a realtime counter not dependent on the outside for counting, yes?

thanks for your responses,

rickbol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tether my Zing HotSpot to the Pepwave Surf SOHO

How did you get it to work with the Surf SOHO? I tried to tether via USB and it wouldn't connect. Tried WiFi as WAN, and it worked but there was too much interference so data was flaky.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

How did you get it to work with the Surf SOHO? I tried to tether via USB and it wouldn't connect. Tried WiFi as WAN, and it worked but there was too much interference so data was flaky.

Hey Jason,

Hope all is well this is Robert from the 4G Antenna Shop, there is no need to get any sort of repeaters routers or bridges as the Netgear 6100D will now work on the plan you have through us. Just an FYI :)

Robert

Hey Jason,

Hope all is well this is Robert from the 4G Antenna Shop, there is no need to get any sort of repeaters routers or bridges as the Netgear 6100D will now work on the plan you have through us. Just an FYI :)

Robert

nice, I'll send you a PM

• 3 weeks later...

Firmware I am using is 6.1.2 build 1550

Remember, the pairing actually takes some time. If you're watching the device while it is trying to pair it will seem like it is not working at first. Be patient. Let me know your progress.

• 1 month later...

I have mine suspended on my Ting account; wasn't using it any more so they

allowed me to suspend my account; one click & I'm back with it..don't know

about Sprint; I sure wish Sprint would lower ther $/GB prices for their

hotspot plans..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Firmware I am using is 6.1.2 build 1550

Remember, the pairing actually takes some time. If you're watching the device while it is trying to pair it will seem like it is not working at first. Be patient. Let me know your progress.

Just an update for those trying to tether their Zing Hotspot to a Pepwave SURF SOHO.

The only firmware version I have gotten this device to work with is the one I mentioned before:  v6.1.2 build 1550

When I first got the SOHO, i updated the firmware and it did not work (at that time v6.2.0  I went back to the firmware that was included with the shipped SOHO and it tethered fine.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE:  The tethering process takes several minutes or more. So if you are connecting for the first time or have had a power outage, etc.  be patient and allow it to reconnect.  Sometimes you need to disconnect the power supply to the SOHO (during tethering the ZING gets its power from the SOHO so it will power down also) and then wait 20 seconds and plug back in.  When it reboots, give it a few minutes to find and connect to the ZING.

NEXT IMPORTANT NOTE:  I received an email from PEPWAVE saying firmware updates were now FREE and they released a new update v6.2.1

Same issues for me as before with v6.2.0.  The ZING connects, but only for a few minutes, then disconnects and the process starts all over.

I WENT BACK TO v6.1.2 build 1550 and everything works great again.

I am out a little ways from civilization and the ZING has been a godsend for me.  However, Time Warner plans to be out here in the FALL and I will probably go with them at some point.

I love my ZING and SPRINT has been a good provider so not leaving for any other reason then I will finally be part of civilization and will be able to bundle my internet, phone and TV signal.

zing1.png

Edited by KnarfOH
  • Like 1