Netgear Zing 771S tri band LTE mobile hotspot discussion

delta772er

Any of you check for updates recently? I just updated my Zing today and I now have the "Spark" Logo! 

vSuGRBPl.jpg

Absolutely love the WiFi name. I may have to change from mine.

• Like 2

Absolutely love the WiFi name. I may have to change from mine.

Heck yea!!! I was FBI Surveilance van for awhile, while I was using it in my Vehicle...LOL....

P.S...I'll be in the Columbus Market in the Beginning of March...want to help you confirm some of them sites up around Mansfield...

• Like 2

Heck yea!!! I was FBI Surveilance van for awhile, while I was using it in my Vehicle...LOL....

P.S...I'll be in the Columbus Market in the Beginning of March...want to help you confirm some of them sites up around Mansfield...

I'm currently "CIA Safe House 200219" and "CIA Guest House 200219".

Let me know for sure when you're coming. We can have a meet & greet with Columbus S4GRU at http://16-bitbar.com/ one night while you're here.

Only problem with changing my WiFi is that I have to reprint updated these:

SPNj779.png

• Like 2

I'm currently "CIA Safe House 200219" and "CIA Guest House 200219".

Let me know for sure when you're coming. We can have a meet & greet with Columbus S4GRU at http://16-bitbar.com/ one night while you're here.

Only problem with changing my WiFi is that I have to reprint updated these:

Sounds awesome!! I didn't know that Columbus had one of those...But definitely looks cool...I'll definitely keep you in the loop on when. I have March 10-14th carved out for being up in Ohio...With being there probably on the 8th or 9th....

I didn't know you could do QR codes for WiFi...will have to do that for the house!

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome, downloading now. According to Sprint website these are the total fixes/enhancements..

Dec Update...

• Improved Network hand-offs between LTE bands
  • B41 throughput improvements
  • Spark Icon 
  • WiFi pop-up when tethered

Feb Update...

• OMA PRL fix
  • Data link HA fix

Edit: Installed and it fixed my issue with getting a GPS fix. I had returned my previous Zing due to the screen locking up on me and the replacement never got a GPS fix. Somehow after this update it does now. yippie.

TS

Edited by twospirits
Separated the updates
  • Like 1

Not that it matters, but those first four items are from the December update referenced in post #90 of this thread. Only the last two items are from this month's update.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Netgear_Zing_Mobile_Hotspot/WServiceAdvisory_542_GKB54562?INTNAV=SU:DP:OV:UG:NetgearZingMobileHotspot:FindAndUpdateTheSoftwareVersionOnYourNetgearZingMo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ok silly question time. So i have the g2 tri band phone. Would it be dumb to get the zing hotspot? Im in denver and i know that i would pick band 41 in downtown and maybe other places right now. My guess is i really dont need to waste money on it

The Zing has a kick-asp radio; probably better than the G2 but I'm not sure; depends on your usage

pattern if it is a dumb idea or not...my GS3 does not hold a candle to the Zing in fringe Band 25 areas;

sadly, here in the desert we have no band 41 yet..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried using the Zing dock/cradle here at the house where I have a fringe

LTE (band 25) signal; the MIMO of the cradle definitely improved my

upload speeds (went from 3ish to 4+ mbps); did nothing for dl speeds

and did NOT (sorry to say) improve on my signal levels; my fringe

levels vary from -99 to -109; I've connected to -112 believe it or not;

signal quality is ok but my pings are sub 50 ms which is way better than

the pings I used to get on Wimax here at the house..

The cradle/dock is going back..

• 2 months later...

Showing my ignorance here but with a sim unlock I potentially could use the Sprint

Zing on the Verizon network?? I wonder why I would incur that expense?

No. There's a few issues.

#1...I think the Sprint SIM unlock only works International, not Domestic.

#2...The Zing does not support any Verizon LTE bands

#3...Verizon LTE SIM card will not work in that device for Verizon CDMA. I have tried to do this on my unlocked Zing. Will not authenticate.

#4...Verizon does not allow non Verizon devices on their network. Similar to the way Sprint does, except devices that support their 700MHz LTE band. Because the FCC says they have to allow those. But the Zing does not include that band.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a Zing Hotspot after learning the tower closest to my home has been upgraded for LTE service.  I also purchased the Netgear cradle to improve my reception, etc.

Since I am a little over 1 mile away from the tower - what do you think my odds are that I will get decent service?

There is a tree line between me and the tower that ends about 600 feet from my house.  This is a semi-rural area with a mild inclination upward from the tower location to my home.  In the photograph, my home is in the approximate area of the marker at the bottom of the page.

sprint_05_highspeed.PNG

I just purchased a Zing Hotspot after learning the tower closest to my home has been upgraded for LTE service.  I also purchased the Netgear cradle to improve my reception, etc.

Since I am a little over 1 mile away from the tower - what do you think my odds are that I will get decent service?

There is a tree line between me and the tower that ends about 600 feet from my house.  This is a semi-rural area with a mild inclination upward from the tower location to my home.  In the photograph, my home is in the approximate area of the marker at the bottom of the page.

It obviously depends on a bunch of factors, and no one here can know for sure without measuring it. That said :

Sprint has coverage maps at http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp.

If you ignore the data part, and just use the voice portion, you'll see a "Best", "Good" and "Fair" rating.

In my experience, when the tower is upgraded, areas marked "Best" have usable PCS LTE (sometimes everywhere, sometimes outdoors only, but usually some PCS LTE). Your in a "Best" area. Near the edge, but marked as "best".

Someone also mapped 4G near your home on Sensorly. It's weak, but LTE signal appears to be there -- http://www.sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=6201+Waterloo+Road+Northwest%2C+Canal+Winchester%2C+OH+43110%2C+USA|coverage

If you have the dock, and you put it in a high part of the house (second story window facing the tower, for example) I would suspect you'd get a perfectly fine signal.

- - 

You mention that the "tower ends 600 feet from my house". What does that mean? Do you not get voice service at your home today?

Sorry, I poorly wrote that sentence.  Read it again, please.

What I meant was the treeline ends 600 feet from my house.  When I was talking to Sprint and was asking them about signal and strength and what I could expect, the technical person on the phone mentioned that trees (and leaves) interfere with the signal.  He asked if there were any trees near me. I said there was.  He said if my house is adjacent to a line of trees, that could be a problem.  I said to him - NO, the trees I am speaking about do not abut my property.  I said the treeline is about 600 feet away.  Oh, he said, that shouldn't be a problem.  

Anyway, it is the treeline that ends 600 feet from my property, it is not the tower that ends 600 feet from my property.

Appreciate your earlier response to my inquiry.  Thanks! 

If you are Sprint Zing Owner - Can you give me Advice?

Just want to know ins and outs of using this device? 

PM me for my phone number or give me your number to call?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by COZisBack
Topic Merged

If you are Sprint Zing Owner - Can you give me Advice?

Just want to know ins and outs of using this device? 

PM me for my phone number or give me your number to call?

Thanks in advance.

What type of advice are you looking for?

For security purposes I don't see many sharing contact information.

What type of advice are you looking for?

For security purposes I don't see many sharing contact information.

I just got my Sprint Zing delivered in the last few minutes and want to begin the process of hooking it up.  I just wanted to talk to someone that went through the experience to see if they had any pointers.

I wanted to MSG you directly, but I see you block people like me.  I assume that is because you would be bothered by too many people.

I am in Canal Winchester and saw you were in Columbus.

One question I have of you as an ADMINISTRATOR is why all threads about the Sprint Zing are being merged into one thread.  When you begin reading the thread from beginning to end, the actual discussion is all over the place.  Yes, the discussion is about the ZING but what people are wanting to discuss can differ tremendously.

Lastly, I gave option of privately giving me phone number.  If someone didnt want to be identified, I assumed they would block their number when they called me...

Edited by KnarfOH