sbolen

iPhone 5S Specs leak, per BGR

BGR is either really full of it, or on to something, citing a user on Weibo:

iPhone 5S: New leaked photos, purported full specs point to biggest ‘S’ upgrade ever

Where specs are concerned, the upcoming new flagship iPhone will be the biggest hardware upgrade ever for an “S” device if the report’s claims pan out. Highlights include a 4-inch IGZO display with the same Retina resolution as the iPhone 5, an A6 processor clocked a bit faster than the current model, quad-core SGX 554MP4 graphics, 2GB of RAM and an upgraded LTE radio.

Where new hardware is concerned, the report claims Apple’s iPhone 5S will include an upgraded 12-megapixel camera, a dual-LED flash, NFC and a fingerprint scanner. Skeptics dismissed early rumors suggesting a fingerprint scanner would be included in the new iPhone, however numerous subsequent reports including one from Reuters suggest Apple will finally make use of its AuthenTec acquisition in the iPhone 5S.

I can't wait to upgrade my 4S, if anything, for the better battery. After 18 months, I can barely keep a charge past noon.

• Like 1

I thought they were going to make the screen the same width just 2 inches longer?

• Like 7

I thought they were going to make the screen the same width just 2 inches longer?

Apple always seems to Apple

So basically everything that's been rumored for ages. Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I thought that Apple was reportedly working on a penis sized and shaped iPhone because, no doubt, many smartphone users would love to hold that form factor in their hand at all times.

:P

AJ

• Like 7

Are there any rumors for when the 5S should hit?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hm. Frankly, I put absolutely no stock in Apple rumors. What they announce at their keynote is almost always completely different than what the internet has been saying. Holographic keyboards and transparent circuit boards anyone?

• Like 1

Generally September. iOS 7 will come out around the same time.

Sent from my iPad/iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally September. iOS 7 will come out around the same time.

Sent from my iPad/iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets all hope and pray that Sprint was able to convince Apple to include the Tri-bands in the 5s.

IMHO, new iPhones from here on should include all the common bands used in the world, so we can have true "world phones". Make one version for CDMA and one for GSM. That way, you only have to make 2 variants. This would help Apple differentiate its iPhone even more over the Android offerings. When new spectrum gets released, Apple adds it to the chipset.

Eventually, we need to move to a software based system, as opposed to hardware based. I would think we're not too far off from this.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).

• Like 2

Lets all hope and pray that Sprint was able to convince Apple to include the Tri-bands in the 5s.

IMHO, new iPhones from here on should include all the common bands used in the world, so we can have true "world phones". Make one version for CDMA and one for GSM. That way, you only have to make 2 variants. This would help Apple differentiate its iPhone even more over the Android offerings. When new spectrum gets released, Apple adds it to the chipset.

Eventually, we need to move to a software based system, as opposed to hardware based. I would think we're not too far off from this.

If only someone would invent those pesky software defined amplifiers, filters, and antennas that would fit in a handset...

• Like 3

If there are tri-band networks anywhere else in the world and Qualcomm makes a Tri-band chip, I bet Apple would at least consider it, if anything, for supply chain purposes.

If there are tri-band networks anywhere else in the world and Qualcomm makes a Tri-band chip, I bet Apple would at least consider it, if anything, for supply chain purposes.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Apple has historically not been a first mover in adding bands or even new radio technology such as LTE. I expect them to be dragged into triband and LTE-A kicking and screaming.

• Like 2

I'm not sure I agree with that. Apple has historically not been a first mover in adding bands or even new radio technology such as LTE. I expect them to be dragged into triband and LTE-A kicking and screaming.

That's a fair point; however, the move to LTE was delayed (IIRC) because of battery performance.

(I have a feeling that it was also due to their extremely large customer base on AT&T, stuck with HSPA+ as their "4G" option while they rolled out LTE in major markets.)

• Like 1

That's a fair point; however, the move to LTE was delayed (IIRC) because of battery performance.

(I have a feeling that it was also due to their extremely large customer base on AT&T, stuck with HSPA+ as their "4G" option while they rolled out LTE in major markets.)

Good point on the AT&T customer base. With that in mind it seems even less likely that Apple will make major design changes for Sprint, who sells less iphones last quarter(1.7 million) than Verizon (6.2 million) and AT&T (8.1 million). 

Soooooo they are making an android flagship from a year ago and calling it the iphone 5s? Oh, plus a fingerprint scanner (which you need why?)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ignoring those that can't help themselves, I think the more interesting rumor is the low-cost iPhone. $200 for a no-contract iPhone would be fantastic.    

Since I'm not quite one year into my Sprint contract, I'm hoping the 5s isn't a very big change.  ;) The fingerprint thing is mildly interesting, but I'm not too bothered by entering a PIN to unlock my phone.  One of the reasons I don't have a G series is the large screen size, so I hope that Apple keeps a 4" version if they add a larger screen option.  Cell phone cameras can always be improved, though I hope there's more improvement that simply upping the megapixels.

I'm more anxious about iOS 7 and what Apple does with the iPad/mini since my iPad 2 is getting long in the tooth.

Fingerprint scanner is nifty, I have on on my laptop and love it.

That said, the first mainstream phone that includes a breathalyzer is the one that will truly be awesome.

• Like 6

I only really want two things out of the new iPhone, an ir blaster and triband. I can give in on the ir blaster but my next phone will be triband.

Good point on the AT&T customer base. With that in mind it seems even less likely that Apple will make major design changes for Sprint, who sells less iphones last quarter(1.7 million) than Verizon (6.2 million) and AT&T (8.1 million).

You need to add in softbank's sales as well now. Because apple would be making the changes for their sake.

You need to add in softbank's sales as well now. Because apple would be making the changes for their sake.

Exactly!!!!

Give me 128gb storage global LTE chip (LTE - A also) 4000 mah battery and life size hologram calling and I'm sold :)

Give me 128gb storage global LTE chip (LTE - A also) 4000 mah battery and life size hologram calling and I'm sold :)

The battery on my 4S is killing me at work. I'm on extended all the damn time at work and I can barely keep it charged until 2pm with light use. I'd love a giant, all-day battery. 

I'm not expecting Tri-band at all, at this point I just hope 800 LTE is included.

• Like 1

Ignoring those that can't help themselves, I think the more interesting rumor is the low-cost iPhone. $200 for a no-contract iPhone would be fantastic.

Since I'm not quite one year into my Sprint contract, I'm hoping the 5s isn't a very big change. ;) The fingerprint thing is mildly interesting, but I'm not too bothered by entering a PIN to unlock my phone. One of the reasons I don't have a G series is the large screen size, so I hope that Apple keeps a 4" version if they add a larger screen option. Cell phone cameras can always be improved, though I hope there's more improvement that simply upping the megapixels.

I'm more anxious about iOS 7 and what Apple does with the iPad/mini since my iPad 2 is getting long in the tooth.

I don't see it happening because the ipod touch is that price for the cheapest model, the latest generation is even more. They would be competing against their own product shares. Maybe 100 with contract, or hell even free with contract, but 200 no contract doesn't add up to me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2