After 1 Year of Sprint LTE

Thing is, a AT&T user using Sensorly is going to be worried about his data allotment being that they don't have unlimited data.

Not really, as you can configure the application to only upload the results when it is connected to wifi.

This is the best way to run the app, if the app or any app is using EVDO cell data, it might not switch to LTE.

I do that with my Sprint and AT&T phones.

• Like 2

Not really, as you can configure the application to only upload the results when it is connected to wifi.

This is the best way to run the app, if the app or any app is using EVDO cell data, it might not switch to LTE.

I do that with my Sprint and AT&T phones.

Best way is to run LTE Discovery in Cycle while not connected to LTE. Let sensorly upload when it can in case for some reason something crashes. I have lost some points before.

Unfortunately those users don't map with Sensorly much.

The way I look at that is that means that the majority of the people on AT&T don't really care about their network, or are the people who use their mobile phone for calls only, and not for data usage.

One thing I love about Sprint is the community.  Just look at this forums, its full of Sprint users who actually care about their network and are working together, without any payment or otherwise besides donations

As far as I am aware, no other provider has a forums like this dedicated to how their network is being enhanced (at least not one powered by the community and not provided by the provider themselves).

• Like 9

One thing I love about Sprint is the community. Just look at this forums, its full of Sprint users who actually care about their network and are working together, without any payment or otherwise besides donations

As far as I am aware, no other provider has a forums like this dedicated to how their network is being enhanced (at least not one powered by the community and not provided by the provider themselves).

I totally agree. I've never seen a community such as this for any of the providers. Maybe they're out there, but I haven't found them.

When I found this website, I was on the verge of totally ditching Sprint in favor of another carrier. I was doing research on which carrier would be a better fit for us and my research brought me to this site. We have LTE devices that run on AT&T, Verizon and obviously Sprint. I was mostly leaning towards Verizon and now that I'm totally informed, I decided to stay with Sprint for our smartphones and signed a new agreement with Sprint and got an iPhone 5 to replace my 4s and will upgrade our other line to the 5s when it's released (hopefully it will be Tri-band). The Sprint Executive Office was very effective in keeping my 12 year old account alive, BTW.

Needless-to-say, I've learned a lot from this site, especially as a sponsor. I thought I knew a lot about the tech involved, until I found myself here. I am optimistic that Sprint's network will be one of the best, once all is said and done. I'm already seeing the fruits of their labor, for the most part.

Back on-topic.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).

• Like 12

The trouble with the map is that it is too high level and makes it look like their is a lot 4G LTE in certain areas.  I live in the Detroit area and I use Sensorly.   However, I rarely get 4G LTE.  And when I do, it is not usually very fast.  What I do notice is that 4G LTE goes in and out on a daily basis and from block to block.  For example, there is a restaurant I go to and I get 4G LTE their about 50% of the time.  The other 50% I only get 3G.  Another example, I never get 4G near my house, but Sensorly shows it up and down my block.

In addition, Sprint has not even announced Detroit Metropolitan area yet.  So, what I suspect is happening is they are testing and turning on and off 4G at different locations.  I did notice the reception at my house became really bad for about 1 week and then recovered.

Of course this could just be my phone.  :)   I have a Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE.

David

The trouble with the map is that it is too high level and makes it look like their is a lot 4G LTE in certain areas.  I live in the Detroit area and I use Sensorly.   However, I rarely get 4G LTE.  And when I do, it is not usually very fast.  What I do notice is that 4G LTE goes in and out on a daily basis and from block to block.  For example, there is a restaurant I go to and I get 4G LTE their about 50% of the time.  The other 50% I only get 3G.  Another example, I never get 4G near my house, but Sensorly shows it up and down my block.

In addition, Sprint has not even announced Detroit Metropolitan area yet.  So, what I suspect is happening is they are testing and turning on and off 4G at different locations.  I did notice the reception at my house became really bad for about 1 week and then recovered.

David

Maybe?  I just passed through Detroit 2 days ago and was surprised to see 4g showing up quite a bit, and quite usable.

• Like 1

David

I am also an Evo LTE user and I can tell you about half of your issues are most likely the phone. Oh well upgrade time is less than a year away now!!

David

It sounds like, as someone else said, you're likely seeing one of the issues with the EVO LTE. When there are a lot of fringe areas, as there are now since only a smattering of sites have LTE active, it struggles to stay connected. Someone with an HTC ONE, or GS3, Note 2, GS4 would likely have a much better experience. 

Also, if you are running Sensorly a lot, it may actually reduce the phones ability to scan for LTE, causing it to miss it sometimes.

I am in midtown/downtown KC, which is now mostly complete.  Typically get 6-20 even indoors and up to near 30.  Was not often that good when rollout first started and took 6 months to infill.  800Mhz should help infill other areas more quickly once that gets going.

• Like 1

I am in midtown/downtown KC, which is now mostly complete.  Typically get 6-20 even indoors and up to near 30.  Was not often that good when rollout first started and took 6 months to infill.  800Mhz should help infill other areas more quickly once that gets going.

If you ever go to the Sprint Center, they got an indoor LTE DAS system recently, so that should be really nice.

Last time I was downtown a couple months ago, service was pretty good. Still lost most service in Midland Theater though... I'm sure 800 will help tremendously with that.

• Like 1

If you ever go to the Sprint Center, they got an indoor LTE DAS system recently, so that should be really nice.

Last time I was downtown a couple months ago, service was pretty good. Still lost most service in Midland Theater though... I'm sure 800 will help tremendously with that.

I know for sure the Liberty Memorial/National World War I Museum has an LTE DAS system as well.  I have seen the rack and saw the construction of it as well.  It is super nice to have almost 4 bars inside the concrete structure and have LTE speeds as well!  Although it will be nice to have the SMR band lit up in the KC area to cover some of the fringe coverage in non DAS areas.  I do know that Sprint is generally willing to do these things at minimal costs for the community.  Go Sprint and why I will not leave the network.  I have not seen or read of any other companies do this for their communities.  But please correct me if I am wrong.  

• Like 1

Let me guess.  You were there for Disney On Ice, right?

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Getting back on topic (general NV stuff...):

"Sprint plans to finish its deployment of its Network Vision network equipment by the middle of 2014, later than it had previously indicated, according to a securities filing. According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Sprint said it has been "experiencing increased data usage driven by more subscribers on the Sprint platform and a continuing shift in our subscriber base to smartphones, which has required additional capital expenditures of legacy 3G Sprint platform equipment (legacy equipment). As we deploy Network Vision, we intend to maximize the use of previously deployed legacy equipment when possible; however, based on our capacity needs during the implementation period of Network Vision, we expect additional legacy equipment expenditures that will not be utilized beyond the final deployment of Network Vision's multi-mode technology, which is expected to continue through the middle of 2014. Sprint spokeswoman Kelly Schlageter said that Sprint's increased 3G data usage "are consistent with the industry and we have seen a jump in data usage nationwide over the past couple of years and have been adding capacity. Of course, as we stand up [Network Vision] in a market, we scale back capacity adds on the legacy network."

Fierce Wireless article: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-envisions-completing-network-vision-mid-2014/2013-08-06

SEC filing: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/101830/000010183013000038/sprintq2201310-q.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

David

I also have a Sprint HTC 4G LTE, and I notice that it comes and goes between 3G and 4G, where I am, also.

This is very disappointing considering that when the phone came out it was supposed to be specifically for 4G LTE experience.

• Like 1

I also have a Sprint HTC 4G LTE, and I notice that it comes and goes between 3G and 4G, where I am, also.

This is very disappointing considering that when the phone came out it was supposed to be specifically for 4G LTE experience.

That experience will come as the network buildout is complete.

• Like 3