After 1 Year of Sprint LTE

Just realized it's been a year since Sprint LTE launched in Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, Waco and San Antonio.

In that year, this map has gone from blank, to this:

1YearMap.png

EDIT: ONE MONTH LATER

1YearMap_1.png

For the scope of the project underway, pretty impressive. Not perfect by any means, but that's a lot of progress. Now just imagine how it will look after another year!

• Like 20

The thing that impresses me about this rollout is that they are covering entire markets, not just the city-centers like wimax (yes, I know all the reasons why that happened the way it did) and they have not added any of the 800Mhz spectrum yet.  I cant wait to see the map be completely covered, and with darker areas around cities indicating TDD LTE and speeds around 100MB/s.  

• Like 8

Hopefully by next year all the backhaul issues will be dealt with.  I feel like backhaul has got to be one of the largest bottlenecks to making more LTE progress that they should have made to catch up to ATT and its going to be even worse as Sprint really needs the huge backhaul to be able to support LTE 800 and LTE 2500 as well.

I really give props to Tmobile for having the insight to upgrade their backhaul many years ago especially since they don't own backhaul unlike Verizon or ATT.  Tmobile must have dealt with the same crap as Sprint does right now with delays in getting backhaul from vendors or even worse from ATT or Verizon.

Hopefully by next year all the backhaul issues will be dealt with.  I feel like backhaul has got to be one of the largest bottlenecks to making more LTE progress that they should have made to catch up to ATT and its going to be even worse as Sprint really needs the huge backhaul to be able to support LTE 800 and LTE 2500 as well.

I really give props to Tmobile for having the insight to upgrade their backhaul many years ago especially since they don't own backhaul unlike Verizon or ATT.  Tmobile must have dealt with the same crap as Sprint does right now with delays in getting backhaul from vendors or even worse from ATT or Verizon.

tmoblie 2g towers near mear are fiber back haul.  Smart on there part so all they have to do is upgrade tower, activate it and done

The map overlay of AT&T vs. Sprint LTE coverage really shows you just how far NV has come along. If I were AT&T Wireless, I'd start looking over my back...

The map overlay of AT&T vs. Sprint LTE coverage really shows you just how far NV has come along. If I were AT&T Wireless, I'd start looking over my back...

Unfortunately those users don't map with Sensorly much.

Agreed. However, if an unsophisticated customer comes across Sensorly, they will conclude Sprint has a mondo network. And we know those mindless zombies are all over the place.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

That's one way to let the air out of the balloon. :)

I'd couch it like this: Each network has their fair share of evangelists. AT&T's network of evangelists is predictably larger, due to their advantage in subscriber base; ergo, all things being equal, they should have more LTE points mapped than Sprint. That Sprint is already this competitive in large urban markets is a testament to the Network Vision rollout.

(Was that spinned correctly?)

Agreed. However, if an unsophisticated customer comes across Sensorly, they will conclude Sprint has a mondo network. And we know those mindless zombies are all over the place.

Or they will flat out say Sensorly is false ;)  Think I saw someone saying that about the Sprint LTE in Detroit.

• Like 4

When 800Mhz LTE turns on later this year, that map should balloon shortly afterwards.

That probably depends on how many people want to shell out money for a tri-band LTE device. A lot of people are locked into a two year contract with their current device that supports 1900 LTE only.

Or they will flat out say Sensorly is false ;)  Think I saw someone saying that about the Sprint LTE in Detroit.

Yep, when I posted a Sensorly map, the T-Mobile evangelists called the map flat out wrong. They denied it completely. It's weird because you would think they would embrace it because T-Mobile won't give them an LTE coverage map and Sensorly is the closest thing to that, out there.

• Like 2

That probably depends on how many people want to shell out money for a tri-band LTE device. A lot of people are locked into a two year contract with their current device that supports 1900 LTE only.

I have a feeling half of the Sensorly mappers on Sprint will buy tri-band devices almost immediately lol

• Like 8

I have a feeling half of the Sensorly mappers on Sprint will buy tri-band devices almost immediately lol

I'll more than likely be one of them. Lol...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 7

When your leading backhaul vendor is Att communications you have a serious problem on hand. All the backhaul delay is the reason why my market New York City is not even half way LTE deployed.

If I were a Sprint Sales rep, I would probably show Sensorly to a prospective customer and compare Sprint to AT&T. Using Sensorly and a few carefully thought out comments would make sales for a Sprint Sales Rep.  Sprint probably would not officially allow this to be done, but I would do it anyway.

When your leading backhaul vendor is Att communications you have a serious problem on hand. All the backhaul delay is the reason why my market New York City is not even half way LTE deployed.

I wasn't aware AT&T had any fiber in NYC. The people with fiber here is Optimum, TWC, and Verizon. We don't have any AT&T services besides cell service.

AT&T Wireless (AT&TWS) is dead, Jim.  It was merged into Cingular nearly a decade ago.

AJ

• Like 4

AT&T Wireless (AT&TWS) is dead, Jim.  It was merged into Cingular nearly a decade ago.

AJ

Old habits die hard. I was one of those poor souls merged into Cingular.  :P

Same thing in San Diego, back-haul delays because of AT&T  :td:

• Like 1

In an ironic twist, it appears that AT&T, one of Sprint's key wireless competitors, will get a big piece of a first round of buildouts, said to involve about a dozen of Sprint's largest, most concentrated markets, including Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, D.C., and New York City. "AT&T cleaned house," says a source, noting that AT&T already had an advantage because it had fiber near a lot of the tower locations initially targeted by Sprint. Plus, "AT&T dropped its pants on pricing

https://ng.techweb.com/authds/gateway?cas=gatewayReturn&hash=39022a39842f53c033c53f72e2297750

Just realized it's been a year since Sprint LTE launched in Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, Waco and San Antonio.

In that year, this map has gone from blank, to this:

1YearMap.png

For the scope of the project underway, pretty impressive. Not perfect by any means, but that's a lot of progress. Now just imagine how it will look after another year!

If this was like the VWZ/TMUS/ATT upgrades with just bolting on new antennas/panels and hooking up to existing cabinets/backhaul, I would be disappointed, but this is a 100% replacement of everything but the structure (tower/building/pole/etc) and installing new backhaul.  Very impressive, also consider all the sites that are 3G only and just need backhaul hooked up for LTE to go live, that map should explode in the back half of this year.

• Like 10

If Moto has a tri band phone i might just get it, i love my note 2 but i have had a few problems, not here to complain or start a flame war. But once LTE is on were i live, they are testing some now not were im at yet but not too far, and i get proof that 800 mhz is turned on where i'm at i might get a phone that supports it, other than that ill stick with my note 2 for now. Anyway are there any rumors on a 800mhz phone? 

If Moto has a tri band phone i might just get it, i love my note 2 but i have had a few problems, not here to complain or start a flame war. But once LTE is on were i live, they are testing some now not were im at yet but not too far, and i get proof that 800 mhz is turned on where i'm at i might get a phone that supports it, other than that ill stick with my note 2 for now. Anyway are there any rumors on a 800mhz phone? 

Based on a recent Sprint Motorola FCC filing allegely for the Moto X, it said it was going to be a single band LTE 1900 phone.  The Moto X is rumored to be released in August so I doubt that it will be tri-band LTE. 

Based on Sprint's press release when the triband LTE hotspots mentioned that triband LTE Samsung and LG smartphones will be available later on this year so it doesn't mention anything about Motorola or HTC.  I hope what Sprint said was wrong because if a HTC One MAX phablet does come out in Q4, I would expect that to be a triband LTE phone.

• Like 1

Based on a recent Sprint Motorola FCC filing allegely for the Moto X, it said it was going to be a single band LTE 1900 phone.  The Moto X is rumored to be released in August so I doubt that it will be tri-band LTE. 

Based on Sprint's press release when the triband LTE hotspots mentioned that triband LTE Samsung and LG smartphones will be available later on this year so it doesn't mention anything about Motorola or HTC.  I hope what Sprint said was wrong because if a HTC One MAX phablet does come out in Q4, I would expect that to be a triband LTE phone.

I like the Moto X phone but figured it wouldn't be a tri band phone but i have not heard, as far as who is carrying it, the HTC One Max, it seems to be a beast but i would like to have another Moto phone, just my preference. But i guess we can wait and see what happens, and/or comes out. I kinda like the HTC Once but i love my note 2, only for battery life, other that than i would have bought a different phone at the time probably the Photon Q or some other phone at the time. I am hoping that Sprint will come out with a rugged tri band phone with decent specs i.e. a beefed up Kyocera Torque just bigger screen, faster processor, more ram, etc.... but thats unlikely. I just miss having a Military Spec phone.  

Edited by ghostkilla1388