General Investing Forum

centermedic

At that price, one has to wonder if SoftBank is going to finally pull the trigger and buy up all the remaining shares. I wouldn't blame them if they did.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, one of Sprint's Presidents sold a bunch of his stock: http://www.wkrb13.com/markets/424743/sprint-insider-sells-331091-in-stock-s/

He is either an idiot for selling at $4.78 near the 52-week low, or he realistically sees further trouble ahead.

I believe you are referring to Matt Carter. He was also issued the same number of shares at a different price point.

Last week, one of Sprint's Presidents sold a bunch of his stock:  http://www.wkrb13.com/markets/424743/sprint-insider-sells-331091-in-stock-s/

He is either an idiot for selling at $4.78 near the 52-week low, or he realistically sees further trouble ahead.

Insider transaction didn't necessarily mean what may happen to the company. PCS has its president/CEO/high Execs sold tons of shares before those shares got transformed to TMUS shares. We all knew if they keep them their share value will be more than doubled in 2013. But they did it for some other reason or someone told them to do so.

And I don't think softbank will buy out S shareholders to take S private. If anyone remembered how much trouble Tmobile had to buy PCS, taking it to private will bring all those sharks like Paulson/Cooperman to fight Softbank for higher bid. Why spend the big money they can invest on network to feed those mutual fund?

I believe you are referring to Matt Carter. He was also issued the same number of shares at a different price point.

Sprint CEO announced today that Matt Carter is getting fired.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/sprints-ceo-shakes-up-executive-ranks-chief-marketing-officer-to-leave-1416266519

• 4 weeks later...

Stay away from sprint until vz and att stop going down. Realistically see sprint around $3-3.50 in the next 3 weeks. Selling for tax purposes is also hitting stocks. Att and vz might be good buys soon as well with handsome dividends.

Any time horizon less than 2 years for sprints stock is too short. Once they have the upgrades done the balance sheet will start to look better. This is all contingent on them executing on the upgrades and actually having a network customers want to join.

If their finished network coverage looks like swiss cheese the success is going to be minimal.

Stay away from sprint until vz and att stop going down. Realistically see sprint around $3-3.50 in the next 3 weeks. Selling for tax purposes is also hitting stocks. Att and vz might be good buys soon as well with handsome dividends.

Any time horizon less than 2 years for sprints stock is too short. Once they have the upgrades done the balance sheet will start to look better. This is all contingent on them executing on the upgrades and actually having a network customers want to join.

If their finished network coverage looks like swiss cheese the success is going to be minimal.

It will be a tough time for Sprint stock holder if they are looking for organic growth.  Recovery from these new price lows would probably require "surprise" catalysts such as mergers/acquisitions, network sharing deal, spectrum sale, etc.  I do not understand why SoftBank is not doing share buybacks at these depressed prices.

It will be a tough time for Sprint stock holder if they are looking for organic growth.  Recovery from these new price lows would probably require "surprise" catalysts such as mergers/acquisitions, network sharing deal, spectrum sale, etc.  I do not understand why SoftBank is not doing share buybacks at these depressed prices.

Softbank is probably waiting for the stock to drop another 20-30%. The real catalyst is going to come when Sprint is done deploying equipment. That will help clean up their balance sheet and they might have a network customers actually think is good - but if you wanna buy low you have to be prepared to wait for that time. Expenses are just too high right now because they have to deploy all the equipment to their sites. Once that's done expenses will come down and they should turn a profit. IMO it is stupid to try and cut expenses now. Now is the time to go all out, spend as much as you need to get the network completed ASAP then cut expenses. Sprint does not have the luxury of waiting x number of years to get the network done. They're hemorrhaging cash and not doing well adding customers. 

cool, i'm by no means an expert, but because of the aura surrounding sprint lately i would guess that it will continue to go down until the earnings report. with all the news of sprint adding subs left and right and V and AT&T starting to lose subs the earnings report almost has to be positive which will hopefully give the stock a nice bump..... just my 2 cents :)

at this price is tempting but with the holiday and everything bad timing. I fail to see the reason why the stock is as depressed as it is with as much spectrum and Sprint currently holds evaluation seems unfair.

at this price is tempting but with the holiday and everything bad timing. I fail to see the reason why the stock is as depressed as it is with as much spectrum and Sprint currently holds evaluation seems unfair.

Debt and cash flow bringing down the stock?

If anyone is interested there is a pretty good article at seeking alpha that summarizes pretty much everything we have been reading here at S4GRU about Sprint's current state and its future.

Its called Sprint and the Severe Market Reaction Part 1 and 2.

I would post a link but I don't know the policy linking to outside websites...although this one is free to register and read the article.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe the recent RootMetrics report where Sprint rated better overall than T-Mobile. That's my only guess.

I think some investors are also looking at their spectrum position and realizing that it's a goldmine after the recent auction.

I just hope it keeps climbing. Go, S, go!

• Like 3

Here's some more information, from the Motley Fool:

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure indicated earlier this year that in light of the high prices the AWS-3 spectrum fetched at auction, the company may look to sell or lease some of its 2.5 GHz spectrum to Verizon or AT&T. AT&T is the only other company with similar spectrum, and it currently isn't working on building infrastructure or buying phones that support Sprints 2.5 GHz spectrum.

That means 2.5 GHz spectrum is worth significantly less to Verizon and AT&T than DISH's mid-band spectrum. However, considering DISH just ran up the price on hundreds of spectrum licenses, the two big carriers may be more likely to make a deal to buy the 2.5 GHz spectrum outright from Sprint rather than deal with DISH. Mind you, the revenue opportunity for Sprint will be curtailed by other costs involved for AT&T and Verizon.

Considering Sprint paid just $0.30 per MHz-Pop when it acquired Clearwire, it still stands to make a nice profit. The AWS-3 spectrum just sold for approximately $2.71 per MHz-Pop. Even if Sprint can only get one-third of that price of the high-band spectrum, that's a 200% return on investment in just a few years.

• Like 1

I don't think Sprint would sell any B41 assets in the ballpark of $1/MHz POP.  I think they are testing the waters to see if there is demand near the $2 range.  SoftBank doesn't need the money.  There will be a clear cost/benefit analysis done with any offers.  Because allowing competitors to get your ace in the hole future growth spectrum has to have a big payday in advance to make it all worthwhile.

• Like 2

I don't think Sprint would sell any B41 assets in the ballpark of $1/MHz POP. I think they are testing the waters to see if there is demand near the $2 range. SoftBank doesn't need the money. There will be a clear cost/benefit analysis done with any offers. Because allowing competitors to get your ace in the hole future growth spectrum has to have a big payday in advance to make it all worthwhile.

That's a lot of coin to put back into DAS/Small Cell/ 8T8R. I look at VZW - they have, allegedly, the smallest cell count, and the most subscribers for not having a huge amount of spectrum. They also have lots and lots of small cells and DAS in dense urban areas. I realize they don't have unlimited and that helps their overall e-penis count, but they still deserve credit as the fastest network. Maybe T-Mobile will point out that the LTE averages were faster on their end. I'm betting VZW users connect to LTE most of the time. Even in the sticks here I'm on LTE most of the time.

I think the whole push on cell count is a little misplaced when the analysts clearly missed a bunch of VZW DAS.

Going back to Sprint, I'd say cost/benefit is a perfect way to put it. I also think there is an opportunity to increase the TD-LTE ecosystem here.

• 2 months later...