Switch and Wireline technicians being brought back from Ericsson

Geesmill

One of my buddies who is an Ericsson technician told me they had a meeting and Sprint wants to bring the wireline (fiber techs) and switch techs back in house. My friend is not overly enthused as his benefits, wages and retirement all have increased as an Ericsson employee.

I understand your friend's angst, but this is an interesting development nonetheless. I wonder if this is an indictment of the job that Sprint/Son thinks that Ericcson has done. Of course, Sprint's agreement with Ericsson doesn't end until 2016 I believe so I wonder what the endgame might be.

I understand your friend's angst, but this is an interesting development nonetheless. I wonder if this is an indictment of the job that Sprint/Son thinks that Ericcson has done. Of course, Sprint's agreement with Ericsson doesn't end until 2016 I believe so I wonder what the endgame might be.

Asian corporations are all about efficiency which most of the time leads to vertical integration (cough LG / Samsung / Sony / etc). Looks like Son wants to bring everything back in house to increase the reliability and efficiency of their network management teams. 

Asian corporations are all about efficiency which most of the time leads to vertical integration (cough LG / Samsung / Sony / etc). Looks like Son wants to bring everything back in house to increase the reliability and efficiency of their network management teams.

I think saying he wishes to bring everything in house is a bit presumptuous. I'd like if that we're true but I doubt it.

The initial numbers are around 600 - 700 people.  I think around 7000 converted initially, but I don't remember for sure.  I'm pretty sure they already brought back about 250 about a year ago.

Sometimes in house is better.  Cheaper probably.   I wouldn't mind working on cell towers if I knew how to apply!   I know fiber work is involved needs to be clean.  Spliced fiber before very precise

Just an observation:

While setting up our new SIP service to Sprint Wholesale, Ericsson was on the call. The SIP switch Sprint seems to use is the same Nortel model that Verizon Business uses. So it didn't make sense to have Ericsson listening in.

700 are moving, split 500/200 into different segments, can't remember which side gets which though.

It is an adjustment to the existing Network Advantage Agreement between Sprint/Ericsson due to changes in network infrastructure and planning that have come with Network Vision.

Ericsson managed just about everything, including planning on a bunch of stuff in the old agreement, Sprint wants to move a significant portion of that planning and development back in-house instead.

Just like with other companies, that whole outsource thing ain't working out.

I've never agreed with outsourcing. It just seems like there have always been too many flaws in the idea.

• Like 2

Turns out if you want a network that performs well, you need to be in control of its development. I always beleived this had a lot to do with the performance of Shentel vs Sprint

EXACTLY.  Great Comparison.  Just take a snapshot of Shentel territory and compare it to Sprint's progress in the balance of the country. Shentel has a very high percentage of their sites upgraded with 4G and 800 mhz voice.  They are in control totally and things get done correctly and on time.  No excuses, they just do it. Shentel is more complete than the S4GRU maps are showing. So many sites are going active with 4g & 800 that it all does not get updated sometimes as quickly as it should.  Apparently inspections & paperwork get delayed.  The important thing is that the NV project has made Shentel look highly superior to anybody else and even more important is that the Central Pennsylvania, Western Md, and northern Virginia territory has service that is probably the best in the country right now.

If this is a comparison of sharp management and local control against outsourcing, Shentel wins and it ain't even close. Yes, Shentel is using contractors to do most of the site work, but they are in control and do it right and on time.

• Like 1

EXACTLY.  Great Comparison.  Just take a snapshot of Shentel territory and compare it to Sprint's progress in the balance of the country. Shentel has a very high percentage of their sites upgraded with 4G and 800 mhz voice.  They are in control totally and things get done correctly and on time.  No excuses, they just do it. Shentel is more complete than the S4GRU maps are showing. So many sites are going active with 4g & 800 that it all does not get updated sometimes as quickly as it should.  Apparently inspections & paperwork get delayed.  The important thing is that the NV project has made Shentel look highly superior to anybody else and even more important is that the Central Pennsylvania, Western Md, and northern Virginia territory has service that is probably the best in the country right now.

If this is a comparison of sharp management and local control against outsourcing, Shentel wins and it ain't even close. Yes, Shentel is using contractors to do most of the site work, but they are in control and do it right and on time.

My last request of Shentel is that they're as hasty with the LTE 800 rollout.

• Like 3

My last request of Shentel is that they're as hasty with the LTE 800 rollout.

Boosted20V -  Shentel has 800 voice about totally rolled out.  When they want to activate 800 LTE, I would think the cell sites would be ready with all the equipment wired up and ready to go.  I would almost bet they could turn it up right now, but there are no phones around to use it. Seeing how they operate tells me they have to be further advanced with 800 LTE than anybody else.

Sprint began outsourcing to save money. They are clearly not the only carrier who outsources, so its not fair say "shentel did it quicker, so in-sourcing is better". Sprint has the financial capacity now to bring some work back, but there are likely a plethora of reasons why.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Sprint began outsourcing to save money. They are clearly not the only carrier who outsources, so its not fair say "shentel did it quicker, so in-sourcing is better". Sprint has the financial capacity now to bring some work back, but there are likely a plethora of reasons why.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Agreed. However, I'm willing to give Shentel props. They deserve kudos. They have rocked it and look to continue strong.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Shentel is more complete than the S4GRU maps are showing. So many sites are going active with 4g & 800 that it all does not get updated sometimes as quickly as it should. Apparently inspections & paperwork get delayed.

Yes indeed. Shentel fires up their stuff the moment they inspect it. However, Sprint comes through and accepts it after Shentel. Since we do not have a direct Shentel source, we are at the mercy of finding out about complete Shentel sites after Sprint accepts them.

Up until Friday, Sprint had only accepted CDMA 800 on newly converted Shentel sites. They hadn't gone back and reinspected existing signed off sites for CDMA 800 until now. I got my first batch of CDMA 800 sign offs on existing sites yesterday. I am going to try to get them updated on the next map refresh.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...