Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

It's not launched.... It's being added along with 2500.. lol

How does saying it's not launched, NOT make sense? lol

There is already 800 and 2500 :)

Yup lte800 along with 2500.

Because the way you wrote indicated that it was already live, which of course we know it is not.

And it is not being added with 2500. The equipment is part of the current NV upgrades. Yet another fallacy ended with a lol.

• Like 1

Because the way you wrote indicated that it was already live, which of course we know it is not.

And it is not being added with 2500. The equipment is part of the current NV upgrades. Yet another fallacy ended with a lol.

Lol okay. and Lol What is wrong with saying lol? I find it amusing you have to say something.

It's not launched.... It's being added along with 2500.. lol

How does saying it's not launched, NOT make sense? lol

Go back and read the conversation we had again. I'll summarize for you:

Me: "we might even see some 800 and 2500 there by then." (implying that neither is launched)

You: "There is already 800 and 2500  :)" (which, yes, there are, in certain markets and certain technologies, but it's far from everywhere)

Me: "Oh, of course! But we don't have 800 LTE anywhere yet (do we?), and 2500 is only in a select few markets." (in other words... we don't have 800 LTE, which I am at this point curious that we might have somewhere)

You: "Yup lte800 along with 2500." (you just said we have LTE on 800 MHz. Which we don't. But you just said we did. Saying something exists is the same thing as saying we have it.)

Me: "Where has LTE 800 been accepted/seen working? I apparently missed this news..." (wondering why I haven't heard about this already, rightly assuming that when you said "we have it" you meant "we have it" and not "we don't have it")

You: "lol It's not launched yet. w0t." (you backpedaling? I guess? You instantly go from "we have it" to "we don't have it" and then wonder why people are confused)

Make more sense?

• Like 1

Go back and read the conversation we had again. I'll summarize for you:

Me: "we might even see some 800 and 2500 there by then." (implying that neither is launched)

You: "There is already 800 and 2500  :)" (which, yes, there are, in certain markets and certain technologies, but it's far from everywhere)

Me: "Oh, of course! But we don't have 800 LTE anywhere yet (do we?), and 2500 is only in a select few markets." (in other words... we don't have 800 LTE, which I am at this point curious that we might have somewhere)

You: "Yup lte800 along with 2500." (you just said we have LTE on 800 MHz. Which we don't. But you just said we did. Saying something exists is the same thing as saying we have it.)

Me: "Where has LTE 800 been accepted/seen working? I apparently missed this news..." (wondering why I haven't heard about this already, rightly assuming that when you said "we have it" you meant "we have it" and not "we don't have it")

You: "lol It's not launched yet. w0t." (you backpedaling? I guess? You instantly go from "we have it" to "we don't have it" and then wonder why people are confused)

Make more sense?

I'm sorry. Next time I'll break it down for you, maybe draw some pictures lol :)

Gosh you guys need to lighten up. I should have added it's being worked on. Sorry. MY PROBLEM

I'm sorry. Next time I'll break it down for you, maybe draw some pictures lol :)

Gosh you guys need to lighten up. I should have added it's being worked on. Sorry. MY PROBLEM

See... here's the problem. We know the exact state of the network. So you trying to tell us what's going on, it doesn't fly. Especially when it's hard to read what you are writing by inserting random numbers and lols every few words.

• Like 3

No, you just need to be able to communicate properly.

You see, Rukin, in the English language, hell, any language, words have meaning. They are agreed upon social constructs. When you wish to convey an idea, a thought, a concept, you must use these words - and you must use them in a similar pattern to others, if you wish to be understood. Failure to do so will lead to misunderstandings and frustration. You must be impeccable with your word!

Which, looking back, if your whole point was "it's being worked on", that's a little silly to have said, isn't it? I said "we might even see some 800 and 2500 there by then" which one should have understood from context that I already know it's being worked on. Knowing this, why would you tell me what I clearly already know? 

I mean, let's change the metaphor here, and make a new hypothetical.

Me: We might see this house get completed by next summer.

You: We already have the house.

Me: Sure, we have houses, but not the new house.

You: Nope, we have the new house.

Me: We do? I didn't hear about construction completing...

You: Well, it's not done yet.

Me: What?

You: I should have added it's being worked on.

Do you see how this is silly to the point of ridiculous?

• Like 4

Does the NV equipment have 800 and 2500 installed alongside the 1900 mhz?

Some of the very first sites to get NV upgrades do not have 800 LTE equipment installed because it was in tight supply at the time- Robert might have a list of these somewhere. All current full build sites (non-GMOs) have all the equipment for 800 1xA/LTE and 1900 1x/Ev-DO/LTE. Only a select few sites have 2500 (TD LTE and/or Wi-Max) equipment. Nearly all sites outside the IBEZ will get both 800 and 1900 (even GMOs will eventually be converted to full build), but how many sites end up getting TD LTE in the next wave of NV is an unknown as it depends on how aggressive SoftBank wants to be.

800 LTE may very well be live in a few places, but since there are hardly any devices out there that can pick it up, we are none the wiser. 2500 LTE is live on a few sites in I think 8 of Sprint's largest markets per a memo Robert released about a week ago.

• Like 1

Some of the very first sites to get NV upgrades do not have 800 LTE equipment installed because it was in tight supply at the time- Robert might have a list of these somewhere. All current full build sites (non-GMOs) have all the equipment for 800 1xA/LTE and 1900 1x/Ev-DO/LTE. Only a select few sites have 2500 (TD LTE and/or Wi-Max) equipment. Nearly all sites outside the IBEZ will get both 800 and 1900 (even GMOs will eventually be converted to full build), but how many sites end up getting TD LTE in the next wave of NV is an unknown as it depends on how aggressive SoftBank wants to be.

800 LTE may very well be live in a few places, but since there are hardly any devices out there that can pick it up, we are none the wiser. 2500 LTE is live on a few sites in I think 8 of Sprint's largest markets per a memo Robert released about a week ago.

2500 is live city wide in 8 markets - Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, Tampa, Miami, New York

• Like 1

Does the NV equipment have 800 and 2500 installed alongside the 1900 mhz?

At this moment LTE 2500 equipment is not being deployed alongside Sprint's Network Vision sites.  I am not sure if the 2500 MHz antenna panels need to be replaced or are they reusing the same ones as Wimax.  Right now Clearwire is only deploying LTE 2500 on its own sites and not on Sprint Network Vision sites.  However about 40% of all Clearwire sites are colocated with Sprint sites but I am not sure at this point if the LTE 2500 carrier cards are are being installed in the Sprint Network Vision cabinets or the Clearwire cabinets.  My guess is that even in colocated sites that all LTE 2500 carrier cards and equipment are installed in the Clearwire cabinet since the Wimax network is connected to it and the TD-LTE has to share the backhaul with Wimax for now.

Eventually all TD-LTE equipment should be moved over to the Sprint Network Vision cabinets once they get the backhaul issues squared away and Wimax can be shut down.

At this moment LTE 2500 equipment is not being deployed alongside Sprint's Network Vision sites.  I am not sure if the 2500 MHz antenna panels need to be replaced or are they reusing the same ones as Wimax. 

Some are dual band, capable of LTE and WiMax, and don't need replaced, just a new RRU, or something to that effect. Some are not, and are getting replaced. I'm not sure which kind it is that need replaced.

I wonder if Sprint will be wanting to buy one of their affiliates or Rural Alliance partners, like nTelos or US Cellular, following being bought by Softbank.

I wonder if Sprint will be wanting to buy one of their affiliates or Rural Alliance partners, like nTelos or US Cellular, following being bought by Softbank.

If it boosts coverage significantly, then I say go for it!

I think not. Sprint will have enough spectrum to play with that it wont be a "need."  IF a company like nTelos bars Sprint from entry into that market then i could see Sprint making a play at them.

If it boosts coverage significantly, then I say go for it

2.5/6 Ghz will not boost coverage.  If you looked at the total coverage area on a heat map for 800,1900,2600 Mhz you would see 800 will provide "stronger" signal within the coverage zone and increase the coverage "bubble" that already exists from 1900.  If you look at Sensorly compare Verizon's coverage to Sprints; VZW has a much darker purple. Sprint's 800 will do the same for their maps since at that point we will have signal from Sprint everywhere within the coverage zone, and Sprint has site spacing equally as tight as Verizon where i live.  2.6 is not a coverage booster, it has less reach and significantly lower propagation "power" than 1900mhz even. It is simply for capacity. 

I live in the middle of nowhere under nTelos in their Rural Alliance, being bought by Sprint would probably be great for Sprint customers as nTelos isn't that good.  Who knows how long it will be for NV to get here, if it comes at all.  However, my area does have decent US Cellular coverage, so buying them wouldn't be too bad.  I don't think Sprint will build out their network here so much as buy a regional carrier, similar to how VZW bought West Virginia Wireless.  VZW had little coverage here until that happened.

We may know more when nTelos has their conference call on July 30.

• Like 1

I think not. Sprint will have enough spectrum to play with that it wont be a "need."  IF a company like nTelos bars Sprint from entry into that market then i could see Sprint making a play at them.

2.5/6 Ghz will not boost coverage.  If you looked at the total coverage area on a heat map for 800,1900,2600 Mhz you would see 800 will provide "stronger" signal within the coverage zone and increase the coverage "bubble" that already exists from 1900.  If you look at Sensorly compare Verizon's coverage to Sprints; VZW has a much darker purple. Sprint's 800 will do the same for their maps since at that point we will have signal from Sprint everywhere within the coverage zone, and Sprint has site spacing equally as tight as Verizon where i live.  2.6 is not a coverage booster, it has less reach and significantly lower propagation "power" than 1900mhz even. It is simply for capacity. 

I wasn't referring to 2.5/2.6Ghz. I was referring to the buyout of U.S. Cellular or nTelos.

I wasn't referring to 2.5/2.6Ghz. I was referring to the buyout of U.S. Cellular or nTelos.

Sorry, i guess that's just what popped into my mind when i thought of adding more coverage.  For now Sprint doesn't need to buy anybody, though making some "strategic partnerships" may give them the upper hand ushering in the next era of wireless. 

• Like 2

Sorry, i guess that's just what popped into my mind when i thought of adding more coverage.  For now Sprint doesn't need to buy anybody, though making some "strategic partnerships" may give them the upper hand ushering in the next era of wireless. 

It's fine, I understand what you mean.

FYI: Sprint (and Clearwire) will post their Q2 earnings report at 12:01am CDT. Sprint wants to ensure that it's info in the public domain before Softbank's info is available Tues afternoon Tokyo time.

• Like 1

Earnings summary from the WSJ: http://stream.wsj.com/story/markets/SS-2-5/SS-2-289635/

-"Sprint lost a net 1.05 million contract subscribers in the second quarter, mostly due to Nextel shutdown

-The Sprint brand itself gained 194,000 contract customers in the quarter

-Sprint reported a $1.6 billion net loss, deeper than the $1.4 billion loss a year earlier. The results included $430 million of depreciation and charges of $623 million related to the Nextel platform shutdown. Revenue edged up to $8.88 billion, from $8.84 billion a year earlier and above the $8.73 billion expected by analysts

-Sprint said it lost a net 761,000 prepaid customers during the quarter.Sprint said the losses were the result of tighter regulation around a federal program that gives free phones to people with low incomes.

-Postpaid churn increased to 1.83% from 1.69% a year earlier. Total postpaid churn for all the company’s brands rose to 2.63% from 1.79% a year earlier

-Sprint  increased the number of sites it has overhauled by 50% during the last quarter, to more than 20,000"

Earnings summary from the WSJ: http://stream.wsj.com/story/markets/SS-2-5/SS-2-289635/

-"Sprint lost a net 1.05 million contract subscribers in the second quarter, mostly due to Nextel shutdown

-The Sprint brand itself gained 194,000 contract customers in the quarter

-Sprint reported a $1.6 billion net loss, deeper than the $1.4 billion loss a year earlier. The results included $430 million of depreciation and charges of $623 million related to the Nextel platform shutdown. Revenue edged up to $8.88 billion, from $8.84 billion a year earlier and above the $8.73 billion expected by analysts

-Sprint said it lost a net 761,000 prepaid customers during the quarter.Sprint said the losses were the result of tighter regulation around a federal program that gives free phones to people with low incomes.

-Postpaid churn increased to 1.83% from 1.69% a year earlier. Total postpaid churn for all the company’s brands rose to 2.63% from 1.79% a year earlier

-Sprint  increased the number of sites it has overhauled by 50% during the last quarter, to more than 20,000"

I hope the stock tanks like crazy tomorrow.

• Like 1